Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Shovel

Default Cold Steel Shovel

I have owned this tool for a very long time. I am sure a few of you who have camped with me have seen this little shovel. For the money I think it is a great addition to your kit.

Most of the time I use it as is. It can be used in different configurations and for different tasks.

For mods I put 2 holes in it, wrapped the handle in 550 sheath, drilled a hole in the handle, and sharpened one side.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

You can remove the short handle and improvise a long one. Much more efficient digger.

If you find the right branch you can make a pick/scraper. This works well for collecting debris for a shelter.

With the 2 holes drilled in the blade and a long handle snow can be piled quicker.

If you get it sharp enough it will work ok as a chopper and for smaller work like making shavings.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

when i saw the thread title
    i thought this may be a folding shovel ( boo hiss )

but i like this " shovel head " idea
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I also have had one for years. My only complaint is that is isn't quite pointy enough for me when it comes to using it as a pick. Aside from that it works great as a shovel, axe, and hammer.
    I know what hunts you.

I have to say I love my Cold Steel SRK, but had never seen their shovel. If they build them like the knives, I will be looking at getting one upon my return home. Thanks for the video and information.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Sarky - Can't you improve the point by trimming some of the outer face away. You could cut it with an angle grinder or a Dremmel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Bad for the temper Richard, but doable.

Looks handy for building anything semi-permanent or permanent. I need one myself for longer trips. I coulda used it last weekend.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...el/MA5015.html

I love Marbles stuff and Cold Steel has boned me on warranty issues before. Cold Steel does make some great tools. That shovel, the SRK, the outdoorsman, recon scout and trailmaster.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

There are several on ebay. One for $17 is a buy it now. There are also a number of Russian shovels and one Bulgarian. About the same as the Cold Steel.

Didn't think about the temper, Winter. Work the outside face down with a file then.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

2 X 72 belt sander and a bucket of water.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Or....what he said.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    2 X 72 belt sander and a bucket of water.
    Hacksaw....................and finish sander.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you can find one in your area, a "Clam Shovel" is perfect. (Winter needs a "Crab" shovel) Hehewhehehehe

Midway USA $14.99

Threw mine for the first time and the handle split. A small inconvieviece, it's a great piece of gear!

[URL="http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]
    Last edited by rebel; 09-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    If you can find one in your area, a "Clam Shovel" is perfect. (Winter needs a "Crab" shovel) Hehewhehehehe
    Did a crab hole and wait? Hahahaha Ambush them.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I've got to say, I'm a little glad that the handle split when and where it did. The next handle (bought or made) will be wrapped in fiberglass. Hopefully, that should fix any future handle problems.

Mine should be here on Monday
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

He did a great review on the Cold Steel shovel. I thought some of you might be interested in the Marbles Shovel compared to the Cold Steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFFScdNJGE

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Come now Rick, a great review?

I watched the comparison beginning to end and not one part involved the shovel being used as a shovel. The only concern was its usability as a hatchet while being used by a person that does not know how to properly use a hatchet.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Actually, the great review comment was to IAWoodsman's review which started this thread. I just thought others might not know know that Marbles even made a shovel and it was another option to consider.

As far as the Marbles review it was okay in that it let's you see the two side by side and get some understanding of the size and the way it's made.

I have one of them and I think for the money they are a great buy. Sturdy and versatile without being too heavy

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Does Gerber make a "Bear Grylls" shovel?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin