Thread: Keeping It Clean

Default Keeping It Clean

Hey All! I Have A US. Firearms Rodeo In .45LC. And I Bought It Off A Friend Cause I Liked The Look Of It, And The History Behind This Type Of Fire Arm. Its Got No Finish On It. And I'm Having An Issue Keeping Light Surface Rust Off. Even In The Dry Climate Of Nevada. I've Tried The Little Packets Of Moisture Dissolver. And Other Items, Alas With Very Little Luck. I Don't Wanna Have It Blued, But If I Can't Find A Way To Keep It Clean I Might Just Go Ahead. Any One Have And Tips Or Tricks?
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Banned
    Blog Entries

A light coating of "RIG" Gun grease. Or any machinery grease. It only needs a thin coating. Or spray with LPS-3

Oil Or Grease Won't Stain The Steel Over Time? And What Would You Recommend Storing It In?
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AVENGED View Post
    Oil Or Grease Won't Stain The Steel Over Time? And What Would You Recommend Storing It In?
    No will NOT stain the Metal, but will discolor the wood grips.

Store in a Bianchi "Blue Bag" or a ziplock bag, with as much air squeezed out as you can. If you have a vacume sealer that would be best.

How long are you wanting to "store" it? I thought you meant between trips to the range or woods or something like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use a product called Strike Hold on my weapons. Never had a problem since I started using it. http://strike-hold.com/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Try "Johnson's Paste Wax. I wax my ranch rifle, stock, barrel, and reciever. I do oil the internal parts, and of course inside the barrel.
    Works great for Florida's wet weather.

Ride, Shoot Striaght, and Speak the Truth; T. Roosevelt

Either Or. It Will Surface Rust In A Day. I'm Still Debating If I Want To Send It To Be Polished Then Blued.

-George Patton

Either Or. It Will Surface Rust In A Day. I'm Still Debating If I Want To Send It To Be Polished Then Blued.
    In my experience, get it blued by a very reputable shop that can preserve the gun without hindering the value. Otherwise, you will spend too much time, money, and frustration trying to preserve it and, more than likely, not suceed. Not trying to be harsh, but I've been in your shoes before and seen a few others as well. I hope this helps ya.

Thats The Other Issue. Finding Someone I Trust With It To Do The Work Right

-George Patton

Thats The Other Issue. Finding Someone I Trust With It To Do The Work Right
    I agree that is difficult to do, but not impossible. Do lots of research and talk to folks that have used them before. I know your gun isn't super popular, but alot of companies will do the services you seek on their own firearms. Maybe a start?

I use a product called SHEATH from Birchwood Casey on my Blackpowder pieces & after use for
    several years I have had NO problem with rust. It prevents rust, displaces moisture & lubricates
    in one easy spray.

natertot: "get it blued by a very reputable shop that can preserve the gun without hindering the value. Otherwise, you will spend too much time, money, and frustration trying to preserve it ".....Yep, Yep, Yep and YEP. Get it reblued. Go to your favorite gun shop or range and ask for a reputable gunsmith in the area. Blueing is NOT especially difficult but it must be done with care using the right equipment. Being that this is not a special show piece and is just an average gun without any particular historical value, get her reblued. Done right, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Yeah, I Like The Worn Look. But If I Get It Blued I'll Be Able To Wear It In Again. I Think I Will Get It Polished Then Blued. The Front Site Is Bare And Has One Hell Of A Glare In The Sun

-George Patton

You could also camo paint it. But, you probably just want it re-blued.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I Actually Did Think Of Doing A Desert Camo Job On It. It Would Be Unique And Look Good. Though, It I Dropped It I Wouldn't Be Able To Locate It Due To It Blending In To Its Natural Habitat

-George Patton