Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat/survival model.

Default Combat/survival model.

7/32" 5160. 7 1/2" blade. Differential hardened. Bead blasted and blued.(the harder spots didn't take the blueing very well) Brass guard, brass peened pommel. Wrapped green jute with fiberglass resin.(cast micarta handle).

Still need to sharpen and sheath it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Winter; 09-08-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Great job! Now stop sticking your knives in the table top!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There is something about a knife that size that just talks to me. Knice Knife. You did a great job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What am I missing.

Combat/Surivial knife????

No hollow handle for the 6 day surivial supplies. No saw teeth on the back to assist you in building your 2500 Sq ft Log cabin for your over night shelter??? No BG endorsement????? No mirror polish on the blade for signaling aircraft flying at 50,000 ft. No paracord handle wrap to unravel for repelling down that 300 ft cliff.

In reality it looks good, Simple, strong and up to the task. I like it.

It reminds me of my issue Ka-Bar. Some knives do some things better but my Ka-Bar does everything good enough,
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

All I can say is.....sweet!

Thanks all.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I like it and you can tell it's a knife that can do the job. My buck 119, did the job for me in Nam and my new one Does the job now. My ka-Bar broke on me in the field and My dad sent me my first buck and I have had one since then. Once again nice knife you got.

I like the straight forward design.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Jessedr View Post
    I like it and you can tell it's a knife that can do the job. My buck 119, did the job for me in Nam and my new one Does the job now. My ka-Bar broke on me in the field and My dad sent me my first buck and I have had one since then. Once again nice knife you got.

Broken Ka-Bar Sorry for your loss

I don't what to say.
    I have used my issued Ka_Bar since 1962. I carried it in Nam ( 2 tours), Cut wires on C Rat cases, Ammo Pallets, Open c-rat cans, cut comm wire, whittled with it, Made a splint. cleaned deer, rabbits, Fish , battoned fire wood, Etc It isn't as B]purty[/B] now as it was when i first got it, the blade is thinner from sharpening, the leather handle is starting to get a mite rough, The issue leather sheath was replaced a long time ago with the fibergalss sheath the Navy issued, The sheath was borrowed from a SEA BEE, but it will still "Get'er done" if need be.

It now resides in my surivial kit in my BOV. We come a long way together, shared a few adventures or so. and like all things we both have gotten wore out over the years.

I have replaced it with a new issued Ka-bar. It works just as well, it is "purty", but it lacks the character that can only come with use on/in adventures.

Ah the memories

Beans, I broke my Ka-Bar well trying to pry a ammo box top off, But I put that poor blade through hell. Their good knives I just beat the h_ _. out of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans
    The sheath was borrowed from a SEA BEE
    And he is, no doubt, still looking for it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Jessedr View Post
    Beans, I broke my Ka-Bar well trying to pry a ammo box top off, But I put that poor blade through hell. Their good knives I just beat the h_ _. out of mine.
    I do not believe an ammo box can break a K-Bar unless it had been dumped in a campfire and the temper removed.

I have seen people chop holes in 55 gallon barrels with their K-Bars, using a rock for a hammer, and only dull the blade.

On the other hand I personally broke a Buck Sepcial in half on a jump at Ft Bragg without ever taking it out of the sheath. Imagine my surprise when I pulled half a knife out of the sheath! I saw two or three Bucks broken in the field.

Not to say they are bad knives, I own several Bucks. They do just fine since I don't jump out of planes or go into battle with them any more.

Nice blade Winter. I hope that hardened area is not too brittle. If it skips on the sharpening stone it may need some relief.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I take my hat off to you Winter. You have inspired me, to learn how to make a knife.

Jessedr
    I broke my Ka-Bar well trying to pry a ammo box top off, But I put that poor blade through hell. Their good knives I just beat the h_ _. out of mine

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I do not believe an ammo box can break a K-Bar unless it had been dumped in a campfire and the temper removed.
    When Mr Charles is knocking at your door and you need to get that ammo box open and the adrenaline is flowing you could probly break a crowbar.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-05-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Beans you got it.I broke the blade when I stuck it in the lid then when I pushed down I could not pop the lid, SO like a good guy I took my foot and will the rest is history.
    You don't jump on the handle. I don't care who makes the knife. By the way the lid did pop up and so did the blade. SEMPER FI.
    Last edited by Woodmaster750; 09-05-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Awesome! Me likes.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Finished pics in first post.

You did an awesome job on that sheath! I already liked the knife. That is a keeper.

Thanks rick. I made sheaths for a living for a few yrs. I'm much better at it than knifemaking.

Awesome sheath. Got a question about it and the other one you posted. For your rivets - do you drill a hole just outside your stitch line or do you skip a stitch and put them in the stitch line?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel