Thread: Well, that was unexpected!

Blog Entries

Default Well, that was unexpected!

I picked the first Bobis D'albenga beans today, I've just had them for dinner, and.... the texture is like Water Chestnut and they have the most intense "Beany" flavour I've ever tasted! It completely threw me at first, but I have to say, now I've got my head round it, I like!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

That's nice to know....I'm assuming this is the first time you tried them?
    Looked them up, says they are an Italian variety and grow good in hot weather.

My favorites are the purple climbing beans.....hard to find, most are bush variety.
    Dark purple, but turn green when cooked.

Heat wave started today, hign 90's all week, so I am in and out watering garden and flower beds.....and taking cool down breaks.

Few years back I had a chance to participate in a seed trial with the local extension to the state collage.
    They gave you small packs of different kinds of seeds, mostly two types of something, but different varieties.
    You plant them and then fill out a harvest log, and general comments.....got to try a lot of different stuff that I have never seen for sale and such.

One trial was some orange beets, grew on top of the ground mostly, almost looked like a above ground carrot .......two different kinds....never got those seeds again.
    Too bad had a real sweet flavor, and a texture similar to a sweet potato.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm not familiar with them, but it's always nice to get a pleasant surprise from the garden.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And the fact that you grew them yourself makes it all the better.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Okay, so now this is going on my list for next year's garden for sure!

Blog Entries

They've cropped well. I've preserved them in two ways, freezing, they lose the crispness but are still good and I've pickled some.... Oh my, just don't expect an open jar to last more than a day. I'll definitely grow them again.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.