Thread: removing smell of smoke

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Default removing smell of smoke

We all have gone outdoors and had plenty of campfires. However, this causes stuff to generally smell of smoke. Unfortunately for me, my mom hates the smell of smoke and I have trouble getting it out of my stuff.

So I'm asking you guys, what is the best way to get the smell of smoke out of cloths when washing them doesn't quite work? Now I just spray them with axe deodorant, lemon extract, and other sprays until they cover up the smell.

I'm sure you guys have some better ideas.

And is shampoo the only way to get the smell out of your hair (I have hippie-hair so it is a problem at times)
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile Good News......

Coffee......Put the clothes in a container (plastic) and sprinkle unused coffee grounds in with them. To be clear take fresh coffee grounds out of the can and sprinkle dry into the clothes. Leave sealed for a week, or more. It works for carpet also, but make sure the carpet is dry or you get coffee stains. I learned this from a guy who forgot some salmon in his motorhome refigerator, they rotted, the slime ran down on the carpet, the whole motorhome stenched of rotten fish. He cleaned as best he could, aired it out for days, then sprinkled coffee grounds everywhere, and shut all the windows, doors, vents, etc......

You could also try Baking Soda, or Fab Breeze.....

Has anybody tried charcoal? I've heard of people using that but I am not sure if its true.

Oil of clove! Mix 50/50 woth water and spray it. This is what hotels use to change a smoking room into a non smoking room. It has worked well for my camping gear too!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Charcoal would make a mess if you got it directly on your clothes and your mom would be twice as mad at you.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

I should probably buy some febreeze, my whole room smells horrible and that would be useful

try putting some baking soda in your wash
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Blog Entries

You could always handle it the way I handled it with my wife.

Deal with it.

Hey, I can always just stay out "alot" longer.

Funny, I will walk in the house, she won't even turn around, "hi honey, I know it's you caouse ya smell like hickory smoke."

All but the buckskins get thrown in the washer, wools don't get dried. Buckskins get hung outside.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTrapper View Post
    try putting some baking soda in your wash
    ding ding ding...first prize for best answer, inexpensive and tres effective, thank you LT
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    ding ding ding...first prize for best answer, inexpensive and tres effective, thank you LT
    very true trax it also helps when hunting to

I've never had too big of a problem. I wear wool so maybe it doesn't absorb as much as cotton or synthetics(?). My washing routine is just putting it on the "15 minute soak" setting (along with detergent) which happens to precede the power wash option
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.