Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A $1.00 knife

Default A $1.00 knife

Today I was browsing around Wal-Mart (got all kinds of goodies!!!!!) and in the camping area, they had a knife in complete packaging for a dollar. It had about a three inch blade, front half was a smooth edge and the back half was seratted. It had a hard black plastic handle and it was foldable. I believe the brand ws Ozark Trail, but don't hold me to it. I just about bought a few of 'em just to put aside, but then I questioned the quality. Is a knife for a dollar at Wal-Mart worth getting? What do you guys look for?

I haven't handled any of the Ozark Trail knives, but have used a few other items within the brand. For $1 it's hard to go wrong. Just use them for what they are - an inexpensive knife that probably will not stand up to much abuse.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you want it and you're okay with spending a buck on it then go ahead and get it. Use it for opening boxes or other light utility work. Shoot, that's cheaper than a box cutter so go for it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think you are both right. I will go back and get a couple for light work or back up purposes. They also had a machete and a hatchet for around $8 bucks each that I might pick up as well. Blades are no my strong point. What should I look for? Is there a specific type metal perhaps? Anything made in China I don't expect much of, unfortunately, everything is made there!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I tried those knives a couple of years ago. They will not even hold up to cutting fishing line in the tackle box. They will not take or hold an edge and the handles will splinter into fragments at the slightest preasure. I really consider them a danger.

The box cutters in the $1 bucket at the hardware store are a better cutting instrument.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Default Well, since you had to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I think you are both right. I will go back and get a couple for light work or back up purposes. They also had a machete and a hatchet for around $8 bucks each that I might pick up as well. Blades are no my strong point. What should I look for? Is there a specific type metal perhaps? Anything made in China I don't expect much of, unfortunately, everything is made there!
    Don't bad mouth China too much, Buck knives, Schrade, Gerber even some of the Ka-Bar line is made there, but the quality control is still American! If you check out the sporting goods section really good you might spot some of the Gerbers made for Bear Grylls, but be prepared for the scoffing of the wolf-pack..buncha ingrates!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-31-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

He did it again! He said the BG word. Mooooom! Sarge said the BG word again. Oh, you are so gonna get it. Wait until she gets here. She's gonna wash your mouth out with soap and I get to watch. Say, where'd you get that fancy knife? Why are you lookin' at me like that? Mooooom, better come quick. Sarge is lookin' funny and startin' to twitch.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sarge is really starting to scare me. Every time he talks about BG I hear...........

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is too funny, CrashDive!

Like Kyratshooter said, those knives cant stand up to much use at all. I also consider them a danger, as they do not hold up to the slightest of pressure. Be careful using it, as a nasty injury can happen when it snaps into pieces!!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Naternot if you want a good really cheap knife from Wallmart you are brousing the wrong section. Go over to the kitchenware and check that area out.

I have a 4 inch bladed Faberware paring knife I snagged for $6 there, made a sheath and use it in the tacklebox.

I also have their wooden handled paring knife w/3" blade that I used on a dare to teach a full 8 day survival semanar. That one cost me $2.98 back in 2008.

I have a few "door prize 'el-cheapo" knives and about the only thing they are good for is cleaning your fingernails.

I have a friend that likes to buy cheap stuff, to "throw into something, for emergencies"........

I question his logic, as in an emenergy..... you really need it right? Not the time to fight crappy stuff.
    I do agree with the kitchen ware idea, much better gear for less money.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I never gave the kitchenware a thought. I might have to look into that. Also, Hunter, you are right to question that logic. An emergency would make a bad time with cheap gear.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My BIL buys those cheapo knives and gives them away, or throws them in places where you might need one for light duty, like tacklebox or glove box. They don't take a lot of abuse, but if you forget your good knife and just need to cut a line or scale a fish, it'll be right there (because you'd never carry it on your person hahaha).

A lot could be said about a $1 knife that's there when you need one, versus a $100 blade that isn't. And lets face it, do you really want to abuse that $100 knife with batoning, prying, or other misuse?

The whole "Made in China" thing doesn't matter much to me. I deal with shingles every day that have a sticker on them that says "Proudly made in the U.S.A (by mexicans)". They are coming from the plant in Texas. If it's half the price of "decent" stuff, expect that kind of performance from it. (*grumbles and mumbles something about crooked and odd-sized shingles that is vulgar and almost incoherent*) You get what you pay for, and that's exactly what you should expect. $1 worth...

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I never gave the kitchenware a thought. I might have to look into that. Also, Hunter, you are right to question that logic. An emergency would make a bad time with cheap gear.
    Our country was explored, won through battles, and settled with knives that were really "kitchenware".

The bucheron of the French courriers du bois were nothing but French kitchen knives.

The "Green River" knives of the mountain men were Russel kitchen knives.

The first "Bowie Knife" was a modified butcher knife made by Jim's brother.

When our nation was a wilderness from shore to shore there were no companies making a "Survival knife" or a "bushcraft blade". Survival and bushcraft knives are the toys of modern marketing.

Ontario Cultery makes their butcher knives from the same steel stock they use for the RAT series.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-03-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Our country was explored, won through battles, and settled with knives that were really "kitchenware".

The bucheron of the French courriers du bois were nothing but French kitchen knives.

When our nation was a wilderness from shore to shore there were no companies making a "Survival knife" or a "bushcraft blade". Survival and bushcraft knives are the toys of modern marketing.

Ontario Cultery makes their butcher knives from the same steel stock they use for the RAT series.
    I buy every Old Hickory knife that I can if the price is right - usually $1 to $3. I might even re-handle a few with Crashcarta.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Did I actually hear the National Anthem playing in the background there, Kyrat?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Did I actually hear the National Anthem playing in the background there, Kyrat?
    Well, if you didn't..... you should have.....LOL.
    A lot of people went "surviving", to get by on their own, to make a living, to get away from people that were trying to impose their will's on them, and used what they had, knew and worked the best.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

He wasn't talkin' about when you left home.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have a friend that likes to buy cheap stuff, to "throw into something, for emergencies"........
    I question his logic, as in an emenergy..... you really need it right? Not the time to fight crappy stuff.
    Ain't that the truth!
    Last year I came to that realization and repacked our BOBs with the best stuff we had and saved the lesser stuff for home. If we have to bail, we're gonna need all the help we can get and it'll have to last.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-03-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags