Thread: paracord? who do u get ur paracord from?

Default paracord? who do u get ur paracord from?

i wasnt inititally bothered with this, until i stumbled upon some site (wont be named here) that said that there is only one "authentic" (not the site's actual words) paracord, and that commercial paracord is not the real thing. That anything not labelled as "MIL-C-5040H TYPE III" aint the real thing. Thoughts, anyone? I just did some more research in prep for posting this, and then found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachu...n_availability. Which makes me wonder...

I know there's at least one famous paracord guy here (hopefully he'll chime in), but.. where do u get ur paracord from? and do u trust ur source to provide u with real mil-spec paracord? and what of all these strange funky colours coming out? they any up to spec?

I get mine from Sportsman Guide or Cheaper Than Dirt...seems it's the commercial grade?...package is labled "Mil Spec"...but I don't think so.
    I have gotten it from my surplus guy if I'm in the area, he has had both in stock from time to time....mil spec stuff he buys in large bulk rolls and repackages it for sale.

As I don't plan on hanging off a cliff, or actually parachuting with it, I guess I choose not to get too excited about it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thanks, hunter63! i dont plan on hanging off any cliff for now either, but i'd like to think that the stuff that i might have to depend on in a survival situation can live up to some sort of known, predictable spec... Knowing the specs and getting into all the details aint for everybody, no doubt. But hey, if i could find out, that'd be great!

Unless you plan on building your own parachute there is no difference between MIL-C Type III and Commercial Type III.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Unless you plan on building your own parachute there is no difference between MIL-C Type III and Commercial Type III.
    thanks. I know that might sound funny (at least to somebody who generally cares about details! "There is some difference, but there is no difference"), but i get that u're just saying that it shouldnt matter. Would u happen to know the details?

Here's a post I did a long time ago but the information is still accurate as are the prices. Pretty close on prices anyway.

MIL-C-5040, from a wholesale perspective, is about twice the price of 550 Commercial. That's why you often see such a wide variation in price. You can expect to pay in the $45+ range for Commercial 550 for a 1000 foot spool and in the 75+ range for MIL-C-5040 for a 1000 foot spool (retail). The cost, of course, depends on manufacturer and the retailer's markup but that will put you in the ballpark. It even gets more confusing because the minimum breaking strength for 550 Commercial varies by manufacturer. Some are as low as 250 pounds while others will certify their commercial cord at 550 pounds, the same as MIL-C-5040 Type III.

If you want some cordage for field use (that's what this forum is about, right?) then 550 Commercial Type III should be sufficient. Not certain why anyone would want to pay the additional money for genuine MIL-C-5040 just to replace a boot lace or to be able to carry some thread or fishing line. Is MIL-C-5040 better that 550 Commercial? Probably, depending on manufacturer. It won't shrink nearly as much because it goes through a shrink process for coloring (except the natural or white color). The 550 Commercial will shrink more because it's a solution dyed material. Regardless of what you hear, paracord shrinks although the amount of shrinkage in MIL-C-5040 is negligible. But the 550 Commercial is still tough as nails, lightweight, and less expensive. Folks seem to have it in their heads that if it isn't MIL-C-5040 then it must not be quality material and that's just not true. Granted, I wouldn't want my parachute canopy strung with 550 Commercial Type III but 550 Commercial Type III for use outdoors is just fine and should excel for general cordage use. Not convinced? Buy some of each and field test it. I'll bet quality 550 Commercial meets all your needs and then some.

I would shy away from paracord with less than seven inner strands and certainly bypass any that has internal fibers rather than strand. The whole purpose of taking the stuff with you is to have as much cordage as possible and why carry paracord with five inner strands when you can carry seven for the same price? For a ten foot piece of paracord that's 60 feet vs. 80 feet (inner strands + outer sheath).

Just look for cord that has seven inner strands and you will "probably" have the 550 Commercial Type III. Look at the add closely, if it says "meets MIL-C-5040 requirements", "Just like MIL-C-5040", etc. then you probably have 550 Commercial.

An add that says Type III paracord really doesn't tell you anything. Neither does 550 pound rated or 550 Type III. Either type could qualify. If you have any questions, ask your retailer for specifics. They should be able to furnish it including whether or not the cord is certified as MIL-C-5040 and/or the minimum breakage rating. If they can't, find another retailer. Just be wary if they tell you it's 550 Commercial and it has a minimum breakage rating of 550 pounds. That may not be the case unless it is certified at that weight. They may be sincere in their belief but they may also be very wrong. You might also want to ask where the paracord is manufactured and if the manufacturer is a current U.S. military provider. A U.S. based manufacturer that supplies the military must meet stringent specifications and that quality usually overlaps to their commercial products. It's expensive to retool just to make different qualities.

Paracord, even MIL-C-5040 was not designed, and it should not be used, for climbing or rappelling. While its uses are many and varied, it does not contain the same properties and safety characteristics as climbing rope. Paracord is not fine-tuned for the optimum combination of weight, number of falls, impact force, elongation, handling and durability that is found in commercial climbing ropes. Ropes designed primarily for sport climbing must provide a soft catch and be durable, while not having too much elongation. Paracord does not provide any of these features. That is not what it is designed for. Don't put you life at risk by misusing paracord to climb or rappel with.

Wikipedia has a nice article on MIL-C-5040. Just Google paracord wikipedia and it should come up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

First up, thanks, and great words!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here's a post I did a long time ago but the information is still accurate as are the prices. Pretty close on prices anyway.

MIL-C-5040, from a wholesale perspective, is about twice the price of 550 Commercial. That's why you often see such a wide variation in price. You can expect to pay in the $45+ range for Commercial 550 for a 1000 foot spool and in the 75+ range for MIL-C-5040 for a 1000 foot spool (retail). The cost, of course, depends on manufacturer and the retailer's markup but that will put you in the ballpark. It even gets more confusing because the minimum breaking strength for 550 Commercial varies by manufacturer. Some are as low as 250 pounds while others will certify their commercial cord at 550 pounds, the same as MIL-C-5040 Type III.
    yup. I get that from the wikipedia section i pointed out (article "Parachute_cord")

If you want some cordage for field use (that's what this forum is about, right?) then 550 Commercial Type III should be sufficient. Not certain why anyone would want to pay the additional money for genuine MIL-C-5040 just to replace a boot lace or to be able to carry some thread or fishing line.
    yup. I wouldnt pay that much to do boot lace either. But i think the point of these guys who do it is to be able to actually use the paracord boot lace if necessary. Of course, having said that, that isnt exactly thinking correctly. You want to lose your boot and legs for some cordage? unless u mean to snip just that little bit off so that u can still wear ur boot...

I might still want to argue for a higher spec, though. That's if u plan to be splitting up ur paracord, and yet still require some serious work from it. Remember, it's 550 braided.. But break it up, and u'll be sure to get less. But yes, thread and fishing line definitely doesnt require 550! Even with the strands broken up.

Is MIL-C-5040 better that 550 Commercial? Probably, depending on manufacturer. It won't shrink nearly as much because it goes through a shrink process for coloring (except the natural or white color). The 550 Commercial will shrink more because it's a solution dyed material. Regardless of what you hear, paracord shrinks although the amount of shrinkage in MIL-C-5040 is negligible.
    thanks! very nice info to know.

But the 550 Commercial is still tough as nails, lightweight, and less expensive. Folks seem to have it in their heads that if it isn't MIL-C-5040 then it must not be quality material and that's just not true. Granted, I wouldn't want my parachute canopy strung with 550 Commercial Type III but 550 Commercial Type III for use outdoors is just fine and should excel for general cordage use. Not convinced? Buy some of each and field test it. I'll bet quality 550 Commercial meets all your needs and then some.
    Yeah, i guess so! if u aint convinced... well test it! I reckon it might be interesting as well for us to conduct our own little "group test" (if we only had the equipment! you'll need a digital strain gauge that can record the maximum weight, and a proper space to do it in). Should be interesting.

I would shy away from paracord with less than seven inner strands and certainly bypass any that has internal fibers rather than strand. The whole purpose of taking the stuff with you is to have as much cordage as possible and why carry paracord with five inner strands when you can carry seven for the same price? For a ten foot piece of paracord that's 60 feet vs. 80 feet (inner strands + outer sheath).
    yup.

Just look for cord that has seven inner strands and you will "probably" have the 550 Commercial Type III. Look at the add closely, if it says "meets MIL-C-5040 requirements", "Just like MIL-C-5040", etc. then you probably have 550 Commercial.

An add that says Type III paracord really doesn't tell you anything. Neither does 550 pound rated or 550 Type III. Either type could qualify. If you have any questions, ask your retailer for specifics. They should be able to furnish it including whether or not the cord is certified as MIL-C-5040 and/or the minimum breakage rating. If they can't, find another retailer. Just be wary if they tell you it's 550 Commercial and it has a minimum breakage rating of 550 pounds. That may not be the case unless it is certified at that weight. They may be sincere in their belief but they may also be very wrong. You might also want to ask where the paracord is manufactured and if the manufacturer is a current U.S. military provider. A U.S. based manufacturer that supplies the military must meet stringent specifications and that quality usually overlaps to their commercial products. It's expensive to retool just to make different qualities.
    right! thanks.

Paracord, even MIL-C-5040 was not designed, and it should not be used, for climbing or rappelling. While its uses are many and varied, it does not contain the same properties and safety characteristics as climbing rope. Paracord is not fine-tuned for the optimum combination of weight, number of falls, impact force, elongation, handling and durability that is found in commercial climbing ropes. Ropes designed primarily for sport climbing must provide a soft catch and be durable, while not having too much elongation. Paracord does not provide any of these features. That is not what it is designed for. Don't put you life at risk by misusing paracord to climb or rappel with.
    right!

Wikipedia has a nice article on MIL-C-5040. Just Google paracord wikipedia and it should come up.
    all i got was the Parachute_cord article... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Quote Originally Posted by H&KMP
    if u aint convinced... well test it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Not convinced? Buy some of each and field test it.
    But i think the point of these guys who do it is to be able to actually use the paracord boot lace if necessary.
    For what? If you are not carrying paracord, in whatever form (belt, bracelet, hat loops, etc) to use when/where it's needed then why carry it? Boot laces is but one example. The point is no matter what you use paracord for in the woods the extra expense of MIL-C is not justified. There is nothing you can use paracord for in the woods that Commercial Type III won't perform just as well.

all i got was the Parachute_cord article... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord
    That be the one.

I bought a roll through Amazon a few years back. 1000' for $48US.
    Barre's army navy store has a wide variety of cord at their site but the shipping can be high.

There is a local store here that sells it in big rolls, small rolls, and small hanks. Their pricing is pretty good, and I don't pay shipping cuz I pick it up at the store. Plus they have every color imaginable. They also sell other types of rope and string, and I tend to use those more often. But, unless you live here in Northern Utah, or southern Idaho, then this info won't help you.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

thanks, finallyME, but u're right. Not in N Utah, or S Idaho here... I do ask about quality and specs as well, if u havent noticed. Any comments?

I really need a bracelet and this is the kind I want!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member