Thread: My first bow

Default My first bow

I made my first bow today. Well, atleast attempted. I did it all using my Ka-Bar khukuri and Sugar Creek Woodie. I thought I'd give the one posted by Mad Cow a try in the Atlatl thread. I think the only thing in danger was myself with this bow. But atleast I got out there and tried it.

The size of my picture is too big to upload to the forum so I'll post it tomorrow. I also made the atlatl thrower and was more impressed with my skill in making it since it was much more simple.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

This is my attempt at a field expedient bow. I think I may have gotten too big of a tree. The base of it was probably 4 inches in diameter, so I think I over compensated and took too much off . I think it would shoot this way, but not so sure of how long it would last. Is it salvagable to make it better, or have I messed it up too much and should just start over with something smaller?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here's a picture of the atlatl with something I picked up to see if it would grap a dart. What's stuck on there is not meant to be the throwing dart.

~Rocky Balboa

RX - you can salvage a field expedient bow that you may have thinned too much by adding layers or small branches (lashing them on) to the upper and lower limbs to stiffen them up. With a field expedient bow you may not get a ton of use out of it, but if you can get a meal then it has served you well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The ends of it were too far gone. So I just cut those off and thinned it a little bit more. Here is what I have right now.

And I made the dart for the atlatl using chinese privite. I used the long strips of bark I removed to tie on a couple of weeds to serve as a make shift fletching. I don't have any feathers or tape so they would have to make do. Looking at it, I probably should have tied them on farther back, shouldn't I? Anyway, this was a learning experience for me.

So can you tell I'm not a bowyer? Lol.
    ~Rocky Balboa

It's all learning. Your mods to your bow look good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You probably did way better than I would. The fact that you 1) tried it, 2) enjoy doing it and 3) are outside in the woods are all pluses in my book. Nice job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The second pic is awesome. The first is to be expected. If you use green wood for your "field expedient bow" it will at some point take set, or break. But the nice thing is that it wont explode in a grand fashion. Two fletch will work for arrows and atl atl darts. Cool weapons.

It was green. I have it sitting out in the sun now. I probably won't use that one anymore. I have a thing about always thinking something is going to pop and send sharp objects towards my face. It's happened before...
    ~Rocky Balboa

He, He, Thats why God gave us fiberglass ! It looked like you could remove some more wood from above the grip to about mid limb. You had some wicked hinges on the top and bottom limb in the first pic. The second one looks like you have a good one in the top limb. For the next one, just cut a limb and tie the ends. That easy.