Thread: First Fire With Sticks !

Default First Fire With Sticks !

There is a bamboo patch behind the shop, and I had spare time, so I collected some of the fuzz around a hole in my pants and dry grass and set about attempting a friction fire. I used the method demonstrated on duel survival. While I didn't break as many sticks as Dave, It did take a long time, about two hours. It was very hot today, so I had to rest allot. So 3 months of trying and I got it. Bow drill is next.

good on ya! ya mad cow you!
    ...oh and look at my sexy photo :P
    Real men have beards, because real men are cavemen.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You did it the hard way first MC!

The bow drill works exactly the same except for no blisters on your hands and you can get the coal in two minutes rather than two hours.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't get tv where I live. What method was it you used?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Friction fire is definately something to brag about. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I don't get tv where I live. What method was it you used?
    This one here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_R70Xk-fTI Except with more cussing and gallons of sweat. I would have preferred blisters, but in the end, it was very satisfying and worth going to the brink of heat stroke. To tell the truth, I threw my set down if frustration and realized there was just a thin line of smoke coming from the tinder. I picked it up, blew on it nice and gentle and got it to go.
    Last edited by Mad Cow; 08-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.

I am assuming that you cut a grove in the bamboo on both pieces and use item in saw fashion?
    Good on you, congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Starting a fire with sticks is on my list to try. My number two son, in particular, is eager to learn to do this.

We will probably start with the bow method as taught in the first BSA handbook. Charcloth ought to make it a bit easier, too. We will work by steps to found materials only (excepting a knife, I'm sure) using the hand drill method. But we gotta learn to walk before we can soar like eagles.
    "Where is there a boy to whom the call of the wild and the open road does not appeal?" -Robert Baden-Powell

"A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room." -Robert Baden-Powell

O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.
    I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. -Psalm 104:24,33

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I am assuming that you cut a grove in the bamboo on both pieces and use item in saw fashion?
    Good on you, congrats.
    I did. And to be honest, I had given up when I noticed that I had something.

Quote Originally Posted by Archr View Post
    Starting a fire with sticks is on my list to try. My number two son, in particular, is eager to learn to do this.

We will probably start with the bow method as taught in the first BSA handbook. Charcloth ought to make it a bit easier, too. We will work by steps to found materials only (excepting a knife, I'm sure) using the hand drill method. But we gotta learn to walk before we can soar like eagles.
    Nothing is more true.

congratulations! and good on ya for showing the setup much more clearly than in the show! (it seems like the shows like this always suck in terms of the details. Grr...)

That was not mine, I just used it as an example. It tought me to be sure to have matches or a lighter. If its cold, put the bic lighter in your arm pit for a min or two and it will light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    That was not mine, I just used it as an example. It tought me to be sure to have matches or a lighter. If its cold, put the bic lighter in your arm pit for a min or two and it will light.
    oh duh! oh well Congrats then! but no kudos on the video...

And i will restate the fact that I had given up when I realized I was successful. That was HARD !

and I will restate. Congrats!

You're out of luck. You can not post the URL of any site you are affiliated with in the body of your post. That's spam and it will get you banned. You are welcome to add it to your signature, however.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.