Thread: Scouts or bust!

Default Scouts or bust!

My son who is six now has recently expressed interest in the Cub Scouts. Last night a meeting was held at a local church to recruit new scouts, so we attended. It was soon advised that there was no scout leader for my son's age group and volunteers were welcome to step forward. Well, my wife being the ''talker'' she is started asking question after question to the troop master. After a short time he was no longer making eye contact with the crowd instead conscentrating all his attention on us. I knew where this was going. Paperwork was passed around to be filled out and turned in. Before you know it, the seating area was vacant of parents and I was the only one left filling out the paperwork. The troop master then "voluntold" me that I had a new position in life. I told him that I may not be the best guy for the job because my work pulls me away at the drop of a hat at any time, day or night. He was unphased and said, ''We have assitants to help out when you can't be there''. DAMN! Not getting out of this one! I went from a ''dad" to a "pack leader" in the blink of an eye. Holy crap, what just happened to me?!! Looks like I just took on another full plate. I am a very busy person and I really, really like MY personal time however short it is. Fitting in this responsibility is not gonna be easy. Can anyone offer any encouragemnat to this reluctant ''pack leader''. But on the flip side, my son is the proudest peacock in the forest. I can't/won't let him down.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Being a FATHER does have it's draw backs but putting them first is really the name of the game. It's the responsibility we take on when we choose to be dads. Here is the up side of being a pack leader.

1. You know exactly what your son is being taught.
    2. You are there sharing time with him.
    3. You are growing at the same time he is.
    4. You will experience adventures with your son that you otherwise might not have shared.
    5. He will remember that you stepped forward for the rest of his life and may well influence him to do the same when his time comes around.
    6. There is little else in the world more important the teaching our kids (even if they aren't ours) right from wrong, how to be responsible, and how to prepare for becoming an adult.
    7. The Troop Master didn't pick you, Karma did. Karma knows the time you make is just prioritizing what is really important in life.
    8. Think of all the sympathy you'll get from you wife. That can used in your favor you know.
    9. You feel better all ready just reading this.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Congratulations to you, your son, and the whole pack.

Congrats. You'll probably get as much out of it as your son will.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Last I read the rules, if your son is younger than 8, then he has to have a parent with him at all activities. My charter organization (my church) just says that you can't join until you are 8. So, even if you weren't a pack leader, you would still have to go to all the activities. This way, you have a say in what you do. You also get to throw exorbitant amounts of money at BSA so you can have a fancy shirt and badges. You know you want a shirt along with your son.
    Anyways, teaching young boys how to be contributing members of society, and more importantly, MEN, has always been very satisfying for me. I wish you the same.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Way to go, Dad.....I don't think you will be sorry.
    Congrats!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Suck it up and getter done!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Being a FATHER does have it's draw backs but putting them first is really the name of the game. It's the responsibility we take on when we choose to be dads. Here is the up side of being a pack leader.

1. You know exactly what your son is being taught.
    2. You are there sharing time with him.
    3. You are growing at the same time he is.
    4. You will experience adventures with your son that you otherwise might not have shared.
    5. He will remember that you stepped forward for the rest of his life and may well influence him to do the same when his time comes around.
    6. There is little else in the world more important the teaching our kids (even if they aren't ours) right from wrong, how to be responsible, and how to prepare for becoming an adult.
    7. The Troop Master didn't pick you, Karma did. Karma knows the time you make is just prioritizing what is really important in life.
    8. Think of all the sympathy you'll get from you wife. That can used in your favor you know.
    9. You feel better all ready just reading this.
    I know, I know, I am aware of all the pros already and you are 100 percent right. Nobody else stepped up to the plate so here goes! It's not in my nature to sit back and watch anyway so maybe I can pass just that one trait on to the kids. Thanks for the support.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

Okay, now you know. Read Sarky's post again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Suck it up and getter done!
    You are right, brother. I've never been much of a sulker. I just needed to vent for a minute. I always say, "Shut up and shove off" (quote from my retired Navy dad....it applies here for sure). Time to do just that. It's a big responsibility and I just ain't into letting people down, especially kids. Hope I'm up to the task. Thanks for the support, ya'll.

One more thing......I just can't wait to wear my ultra cool/hipster neckerchief, Hahaha!

Cub Scouts. Just an hour a week...

I was a Bear and Weblos leader. Very enjoyable.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Hey, look at the bright side.......you get to influence these kids, which makes it ton's less likely that you will ever have to deal with them in your day job. Good job!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

...oh, and not to get political, but I'm glad that you get to put some things into the head of those kids, so that the school system isn't their only influence.

(BTW, I drove through N.O. this past week. It looks like these kids (and everyone else) really need people like you. Thanks.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Hey, look at the bright side.......you get to influence these kids, which makes it ton's less likely that you will ever have to deal with them in your day job. Good job!
    Very good point!

The cool thing about boy scouts is that we get to choose the neckerchief to wear. I chose the subdued olive drab. I know troops that make their own. In cub scouts, you have to wear the respective one for the group, ie, tiger, wolf, bear, weblos. BSA did just update their uniforms, so they look a lot better,..... more expensive though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good job for stepping up. Be patient and learn the personalities of the boys and adults you will be working with. Don't expect many adults to just volunteer to help, though more will help if asked than you may think. So ASK! Take the scout leader training as soon as you can, it will give you a better prospective of what scouting is about. Mix things up a bit, be sure to get the boys to complete their rank requirements as listed in their books but, work in other fun activities. Remember, Cub Scouts is all about having fun. You are now apart of an American heritage that is a hundred years old, enjoy it with your son.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

GC, I have 3 brothers, one of which was a full-time supply Sergeant for the National Guard. Now he's a Deputy Sheriff and was, for awhile, a jailer. Somewhere in his past, he had 3 boys growing up and was a "Cub master" for awhile! His boys have are grown now with at least two of them doing some military service, one is still active. There was one of his Cub Scouts, not one of his boys, who, after growing up, got on the wrong side of the law. He wound up in the County jail where my brother works. My brother heard that "Danny", as I'll call him as I don't know his name, was acting badly in his cell. My brother simply walked back to where he was and said "Danny, behave." Just like that, matter of fact like. "Danny" looked at him and said meekly: "Yes sir Mr. __________, sat down on his cot, and was well-behaved for the rest of his stay. My brother said that "Danny" had recognized him from his Cub Scout days and always respected him. It still carried over. I think what you're doing is very important, especially nowadays. Good for you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'd like to thank everyone for all the positive reinforcement. I think I will enjoy it. Just need to shuffle my schedule around a lil bit. All my boy talks about lately is about "All the stuff my dad is gonna teach my friends". That feels pretty darn good. He already recruited three of his classmates and we have not even had our first official meeting yet (won't be till after labor day). That boy of mine will one day make a great military recruiter or politician. God help me on number two .

Welcome to the Fun....thanks for being a stand up guy and helping these young men have the time of their lives
    Greg-Cubmaster Pack 543
    "Once you have ruined your reputation you can live relatively free"