Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headed To Afghanistan

Nice KNIFE and to think I carried a Buck in NAM. SEMPER FI.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Maybe the guy works in a support unit or motor pool somewhere.
    My guess is that it is a gift for an outgoing commanding officer.

The knife looks amazing. Great job Crash.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

AWESOME, is all I can say. Thanks Crash, I was hoping you had posted a thread. Looks better than I had envisioned. I can't wait to get it, it will be like Christmas in September.

I love the speculation, but I guess I will have to put it to rest-LOL. I am deployed at COS (contingency operating station) Taji, Iraq. It is a northern suburb of Baghdad. The ACUs were mine that I wore during my 1st tour here '07-'08 and the Class A material was also mine from when I came in the military. The brass are military rounds and I am not sure when I picked those up. I wanted a great custom knife with some meaning to it. It definitely won't be going to a officer, instead a NCO will be carrying it-haha. I reclassed in February from the Infantry into Human Resources so that was reason for wanting it shiny instead of subdued. I completely understand the logic and concern of it not being subdued, being I own plenty of knives and gear that have been spray painted just for that reason. My trusty combat knife is actually a Cold Steel SRK, it can't hold edge but I have not been able to abuse it enough for it to fail me. This one I plan to use it as my everyday knife. I will also be making it my priority knife when I go hunting or to the field. It will be a great functional show piece and I know a few knife nuts here that are going to be jealous. The versatility of the sheath will be great, I still have to convoy to other bases to see our detachments for promotion boards and such. The Iraqi culture is much like the Afghan and they do respect knives here. I am not sure the reason, but I did several knife trades the last 2 tours I was here. They really like our automatic knives, which they can't seem to get here and I was able to get a few AK-47 bayonets and some Iraqi Army uniform items.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Cool. Got the address you want me to send it to. It will go out tomorrow.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man, I was in Taji for a while. The first time I saw the base was early in the war. We had to pick up a bunch of Iraqi tanks that they buried. Later, my unit was transferred there for the last 6 months. I am sure the base is WAY different. I saw it change a ton from 2003-2004 in the year I was there. Interestingly enough, I also had a Cold Steel SRK as my combat knife. Of course, that was mostly because I could buy it at the PX.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Of course, that was mostly because I could buy it at the PX.
    Yup, purchased mine at the Camp Liberty PX in '07
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Well if you change your mind on the mirror finish, you can always soak it in vinegar for a few hours that will subdue the 1095 or any Carbon steel knife for that matter. Just another method of "Forcing" a patina. I hope you only have to use it for utilitarian purposes. Stay safe.

Another Great knife Crash! One with personal meaning to the user is something new for you isn't it? I mean the old uniforms and shell casings.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

I've personalized a few, but mostly it's however they turn out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is beautiful work brother!
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

I have finally received the knife from my wife. Talk about snail mail lately, damn sand storms grounding all the planes. It came just in time to Ooo and Aww and show it off, then it was into the connex. We cannot take any knife over 4" thru customs. It has to be approved by the commander and put into your baggage that is shipped. Ridiculous if you ask me, but that is the game of pacified America. Assault rifles are ok, but you can't have a big knife I do believe I have to thank the upcoming election year or the Iraqi Parliament dislike for us, for being able to head home for the holidays. This time I can truly say I won't be back to Iraq, since the last two times I said that I was unknowingly lying-lol.

The knife is beautiful to say the least! Exactly as I had ordered it and the sheath was such a great compliment to the knife. I think I got as many compliments on the sheath as I did the knife. I passed along the site info to several folks and hopefully inadvertently recruited some new members. Seemed everyone really like the ACU/CLassA material history and meaning. It also opened some good survival discussion, as I am new to this unit and most people didn't know I wasn't the average paper pusher. One of the Platoon Leaders was thinking he may want to have some of his dad's old uniform turned into something similar and give it to him as a gift. I thought that was pretty cool idea. I know this knife will definitely be a treasure of mine and is much appreciated Crash!

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Awesome! Glad it arrived, and glad that you're coming home. Stay safe!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I'm glad you got to show it off and I'm even more glad you'll be home for the holidays. Stay safe until then. You do have a beautiful knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That is just incredible! Great craftsmanship right there.

Glad it arrived safely. Even better that you'll be coming home soon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Another great looking knife Crash!!!!

Never though of using shell casings....I'm inspired! Me next knife will be the .45!......lol!!!!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.