Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tremmors in NYC!

So I guessing everyone is OK?
    Wasn't a comet was it?,.......gotta go get some beer and a lawn chair..........
    Glad I don't live in a high rise.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My girlfriend's mother and sister said they felt the table move here in Georgia.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

It took its toll on a couple of famous landmarks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...7ZJ_story.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I ran down the 35 flights of stairs. (Ended up being much ado about nothing.)
    Our office building was designed to sway in the wind and often makes a noise like a creaky barge when the wind blows hard.
    This was different. Creepy, kinda. A shift, not a sway. You had to be there.

The epicenter was about 30 miles east of here. Shook buildings pretty well but didn't seem to do much damage around here. Knocked a few things off shelves. Scared the birds. Was reportedly felt from Atllanta to Quebec. Knocked out local 911 service but the regular police phones were working. Had a 4.2 aftershock.

It scrammed the reactors at the Lake Anna power station and knocked out external power forcing the plant to run on generators. the plant is only designed to handle a 5.9-6.1 magnitude. The epicenter was about 12 miles from the reactor.. These reactors were recently ranked 7th most vulnerable to earthquakes in the US - annual risk of core damage 1/22727.

East coast quakes are felt over a much wider area than west coast ones for the same intensity.

B - It's better to run down 35 flights of stairs and not need to than not run down them when you should have. You picked the better choice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The important thing is that you are safe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had a little tremor here in northeast Ohio. We get them now and then, there's a fault line along the lake.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Does any one know it Earth quakes are considered in the building codes in the effected areas ? If I remember right, Earth quakes in the east are rare, but not hundred of. There was the New Madrid quake that made Reel Foot lake in TN. Also herd that the Washington monument is closed until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I ran down the 35 flights of stairs. (Ended up being much ado about nothing.)
    Our office building was designed to sway in the wind and often makes a noise like a creaky barge when the wind blows hard.
    This was different. Creepy, kinda. A shift, not a sway. You had to be there.
    Just having to "get out of there" would have scared the carp outta me.

Now the question....Do you have a "get out of the building" bag?

This might be a good time for everyone to check their insurance policies for earthquake insurance. It is NOT a standard part of your home owner's insurance. It's generally a rider you must add. Mine includes Earthquake Including Masonry Veneer (I have stone on the house) and it's $53.00 a year. Of course, the cost will be dictated by a number of factors including the amount of insurance you currently carry as well as the size of deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Just having to "get out of there" would have scared the carp outta me.

Now the question....Do you have a "get out of the building" bag?
    I was just glad I was running downstairs instead of up. I've walked up many a time but running would be a mother.

My go bag is a small, light backpack that's constantly evolving but these things are in it at all times:
    16oz water, dust mask, head lamp, whistle, bi-focal safety goggles, Leatherman Skeletool, long sleeve cotton T & briefs, socks, light weight running shoes, space blanket, raw almonds, a protein bar, bus/subway card, a roll of quarters, $200 in small bills and house keys. The pack stays at work. Then I have my EDC in my purse.

This was a good practice run. It made me think that a hard hat would have been useful if TS really HTF. Thing is, it's tough to be conspicuously suited up if you don't have enough to share other than just stop & help.
    What would people think?

I was just glad I was running downstairs instead of up. I've walked up many a time but running would be a mother.

My go bag is a small, light backpack that's constantly evolving but these things are in it at all times:
    16oz water, dust mask, head lamp, whistle, bi-focal safety goggles, Leatherman Skeletool, long sleeve cotton T & briefs, socks, light weight running shoes, space blanket, raw almonds, a protein bar, bus/subway card, a roll of quarters, $200 in small bills and house keys. The pack stays at work. Then I have my EDC in my purse.

This was a good practice run. It made me think that a hard hat would have been useful if TS really HTF. Thing is, it's tough to be conspicuously suited up if you don't have enough to share other than just stop & help.
    What would people think?
    When I think back to loma pretta when I was a kid, a hard hat would have done you no good. Water was scarce for about three days after. Since then I have been very paranoid about not having any. Water filtration would be good to have. I guess you could boil water in a hard hat if it was a steel one.

My main reason for the office go bag is to simply get me out of the building and home where I have much more extensive preps. Door-to-door, 1/2hr walk.
    Beyond that, it's just not feasible or realistic to keep much more at work. Space is a huge issue.

What about one of those pen size water filters ?

What would people think?
    Hard hat?.....good question, they do help.....?????

Looks like you have that base covered as best as possible.
    Good for you......
    Stopping to help others would have to be a desision to be made at the time.

A bicycle helmet or climbing helmet might serve the purpose. It will protect your noggin and a bike helmet wouldn't look too out of place in the city. I would also suggest a good pair of leather work gloves. Your manicure might get pretty messed up if you have to move some debris just to get out of the building. I would also toss in a good whistle in case you become trapped. Something I also have is a second battery for my cell phone. I alternate batteries every couple of weeks. I charge one then swap out to the second and charge it. That way the back up battery carries a full or nearly full charge as well. Gloves, whistle and spare battery would not add any weight to your bag and take up very little space. Yet all three could be very much needed.

Thats if cell service is still working. If not, then texting will work.

You have the option of cell, text or email depending on the type of phone you have. Mine does all three.

B-One other thing that you might consider is an M10 gas mask. I place no stock in them for NBC protection but as a dust mask I think they would be the berries. After seeing what some of the folks looked like after 911 a mask that covers the whole face might be a huge plus. Sportsmansguide has them for $20.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=542413

It would sure have been nice if these folks had one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The photo Rick posted reminded me. Seeeing all that dust in the air, would actual googles be a good adjunct to the safety glasses? I am thinking about being able to preserve your vision if there is debris in the air. Something along these lines is cost effective and time tested: http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Type-Sun-W.../dp/B000KDFCW8
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related