Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short Term Water Storage

You make a lot of sense, Rick, so I ordered it.
    Just thinking about having 100gal of H2O gives me a huge peace of mind, storage be damned.
    Time to make a trip to Godwill and get rid of some stuff I really don't need.

Speaking of that...
    it puts me in mind of a smart post I read elsewhere several months ago. The guy was saying how he'll never get rid of any old clothes from now on because in the event of extreme water shortage he wouldn't be wasting water on washing clothes. He'd just wear them until they fell apart or he passed out from the smell. Kinda made sense.

You can sure go a long time without washing clothes. Hang them up to air out. I generally do that with socks and unmentionables when on a longer hike. Personal hygiene is a must but clothes can wait until you find a creek.

My plans call for the one gallon per day per person to include drinking, cooking and hygiene. Obviously, if it were extremely hot or cold that requirement would go up for drinking. But I've never figured in the need to wash clothes during a water shortage.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well at least this should not be a problem with me .... water. I live on a creek and here in western n.c. we have about 5 dams at are near us..lots of water. Across the road from me there is water that has always run out of the ground that is piped under the road into the creek. Might have to do a little cleaning of it but that is about it.

Here is my water storage container, and it is no trouble at all to keep fresh water in!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I sure hope you guys never have an airborne pollution problem. No radiation to worry about? Illinois just vented radioactive steam this week. No railroads or highways nearby where a chemical leak could drift in your direction? I think it a bit short sighted to rely only on surface water. I live on 1500 acres of water with access to a minor river and several small streams and a few springs nearby. I don't even consider them in my preps. If they are available then great but they are too easily contaminated and if they are then what do you do?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Potable water is only 1/3 of your water needs. Poop doesn't care about radiation......or does it?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Depends on whether it's in you or out of you.