Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some people call them "Bug Out" bags ," SHTF Bags" , I call them being ready

Default Some people call them "Bug Out" bags ," SHTF Bags" , I call them being ready

I like to be ready , Im not talking zombies or government attacks or even terrorists attacks , I have done this since my Marine days ! Every car contains a bag with 2 medium weather coats (1 for me and 1 for my wife who doesnt give a **** either way ,but she will if we need them) ,1 sleeping bag , first aid kit , socks, underwear ,change of clothes , 4 protein bars ,2 canteens of water , thats it in each car thats a alot of stuff , we have 5 cars /trucks , plus in my gun locker theres several bags each outfitted with a combo set of weapons , like Glock 22 / Keltec Sub 2000 .40 sw , pps43 and tokarov each shoots the 7.62 x 25 , the reason for the medium weather jackets is the weather itself dictates what your regular wear will be!

I have been trapped in snow storms in Utah and Wyoming in the past in my vehicle ,I was fine because I was prepared ,this isnt all I carry by any means but a general list !

Being prepared is half the battle , when or if SHTF all I need to do is grab a bag and Im ready, I may not make it ,Mother nature is unpredictable just as "man" is unpredictable , but I have an advantage over the unprepared
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

I carried a bag in my truck for years before I heard them called bug out or shtf bags. As a trapper in NE Iowa in the dead of winter it's best to be prepared. My bag over all was set up like you have your's plus a first aid kit and a couple of types of fire starting equipment. I remember a couple of times while trapping beaver in sub zero weather breaking through the ice and being very glad to have that bag. Guess you could call being chest deep in water at 10 or 20 below a SHTF situation. I'm not out there in sub zero weather where I live now but still carry a bag like that in both our vehicles.

Oldtrap
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 02-03-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: addition
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I carry my bag in the truck everywhere I go! The girls think I'm crazy, but they just dont understand. I guess you have to be in a survival situation to truly understand. Those people that live in the " it wont happen to me bubble ", are the ones that perish when the SHTF, and that comes in many forms!

I can't even start to tell you all the "stuff' that gets carried around in vechicals.......jacket pockets, pockets, and stashed.....LOL.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My wife and I have been carrying " kits" in our cars and my truck for many, many years. When we lived in Los Angeles, they were "earthquake" bags. Now, living in Idaho, they are our "winter kits." Same thing mainly other than a bit different in clothes and blankets.

Whatever they're called, if we need them, we'll be okay.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

MF worked as a forest ranger, till he retired and was brought up in northern Wisconsin....always was a his stuff in the trunk of his car or truck...shovel, ax, basic tools, cans of oil, spare coil and points, chain, 12 ga SS , coveralls gloves, blanket, and some cans of beans....oh yeah and a beer or two, but don't think the beer was in there all that long at a time.
    Kind got the habit from him.......tools and such as well.

Banned

Hell yeah. Boy Scout 101: Be Prepared.

A person cannot predict the future, but there is always an issue that will occur sooner or later. Having a variety of gear tucked away is always smart. Even if you don't have the perfect whatever for your situation, chances are you'll have something good enough to get you through it.

Good stuff SemperFi!

If for nothing else, keep a bag packed in case of a house fire or flood.
    Both of which have happened near where I live in the past year.

always a good idea

I used to carry a bag all the time when I was in Maine. But once I moved out to the west coast and got a station wagon, I just couldn't let it in the car. The zed heads out here will break into your car even if it is just a pile of garbage sitting there just to see if it is worth stealing. So the bag goes where I go and isn't left in the car.
    I know what hunts you.

@sarky , very true , however there are also places on a vehicle that are left open , in other words you can make certain areas of the vehicle have compartments without much work , I seen this in an NRA magazine , albeit it being small but it can hold cash credit cards for emergencies , the trailer hitch ! Yep it can actually have a mini safe in it with a combo lock , fake cover that says whatever , truley a neat idea , also inside the engine compartment , you can build or buy an extra "fuse box" or larger box , or depending the size of the engine compartment you can actually hang the bags clos to the interior fire walls!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

I'm still working on my go bags. There is no such thing as "too prepared" Extra clothes of all kinds, water, food are mandatory. Oh, and SemperFi......SEMPER FI. 0341 '94-'98

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Being prepared is why my Cherokee gets 5mpg less than it should and requires heavy duty suspension!

And I am not the worst offender on the boards. I have seen Crash's truck!!!!

Bug out bag my butt!

If you do not want things visible in your vehicle tint the windows, build a platform in the back and stow gear under the platform. You can get a 6-8 inch space under the platform and use your origional carpet to cover your stash.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-07-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

oldsoldier is the hands down most prepared vehicle on the planet. He has more gear than most third world countries.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Can't see too much, but this is an example of what I carry in the "old truck".....new truck about the same....LOL
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Being prepared is why my Cherokee gets 5mpg less than it should and requires heavy duty suspension!

And I am not the worst offender on the boards. I have seen Crash's truck!!!!

Bug out bag my butt!

If you do not want things visible in your vehicle tint the windows, build a platform in the back and stow gear under the platform. You can get a 6-8 inch space under the platform and use your origional carpet to cover your stash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    oldsoldier is the hands down most prepared vehicle on the planet. He has more gear than most third world countries.
    Yeah. Oldsoldier is my hero. +1 on the gas mileage. That truck is just used for out of town trips, but is available all the time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

By the time oldsoldier gets everything out of his truck the crisis will be over.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have carried a backpack for years, (before it was cool). There is a magnesium fire starter, bic lighter, tinder, stainless water bottle. 10 sweet, and salty bars, first aid kit, lock blade folding knife, Gerber Multi Tool, 50 feet of nylon cord, and 25 feet of 550 paracord, pad, and paper, deck of cards, and socks. In the Jeep:space blanket, tube tent, fishing pole machette, folding shovel, poncho, tools, two gallons of water, 3600 calorie food bars, jumper cables, and a pole axe, (Also a .357 locked in a seperate compartment, with a box of ammo 50 rounds, and two speed loaders, one with .38, and one with .357 mags). It doesn't really matter to me what goes down. Did I forget anything?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by tj922 View Post
    Did I forget anything?
    I once hunted all over the Wallmart parking lot for my very well equipped Jeep.

It took me almost hour to remember I was driving the Honda!

Does remembering what car you are in count?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?