Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homemade survival fishing kits

Growing up in the NE corner of Missouri on a farm. I carried a fishing kit amost all the time. Line, hook, sinker and a small bobber. A creek bank will provide you with a fishing pole. I didn't think of it as a Survival kit I though it was just handy to have in case I got hungry for fish. A pocket knife, matches and lunch was
    a COOKIN.

I still have the same things in my tote that is always stored in my jeep.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

I have a small little tackle box. I have to redo it because it was set more for surf fishing and the few creeks in southern california. Once I've done that I'll take pictures of everything including the reels and rod I use with explanations for why I chose what I chose.

Banned

My survival fishing kit contains some line, a few hooks, a few sinkers, a couple bobbers, and a mechanical yo-yo reel.

Picked up a couple of these at a yard sale,,,,if I remember correctly were about $5 bucks each....carry them around in the vehicle BOB's.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I'm a worm drown-er that can be hand held or fixed line....worms can be dug, or from under rocks, grubs can come from dead wood.
    I would never depend on fly fishing for a meal, it's a challenge for me...not something I want to depend on.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Is it illegal to go into the Canadian forest (like in Hatchet) and create a small civilization or Village?
    ~ Faelan JaggedFang oOOo

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at:....If you want to say Hello.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

As far as your question goes....
    I you find a place to buy land....you most likely can build your dream.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OK now I have read Hatchet several times and used it as a teaching tool and I do not remember either a village or a civilization being involved with the effort.

I am sure that if you crash your plane in the Canadian wilderness no one will mind if you build a cabin and wait for rescue. That will only happen if your rescue transmitter fails to function. Remember that apart of the story? Everything he went through could have been avoided if he had pressed the little red button on the radio!

But if you are going out there to start a new town you better check with someone in an official capacity first. As Hunter stated, what land is not privately owned is owned by the Government and there will be use restrictions in place.

BTW this puts you at about number 12 on the "run off to the woods" list since school let out. No one asks these questions when there is 15 feet of snow in the Canadian woods.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by SpirituallyAnAnimal View Post
    Is it illegal to go into the Canadian forest (like in Hatchet) and create a small civilization or Village?
    Yes it is.

Just looking out for our Canadian brothers and sisters.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default My survival tin..

Again..I hope this is the right thread..

I use the Altoids case method. If I don't bring anything else, I'll bring my tin and my Leatherman multitool.
    The tin has: match striker taped to the lid, as well as a sewing needle, 2 hooks, 2 flies, 4 small led weights, on small rigging,a razor blade and a pen knife tip. There is a number of feet of fishing line, hemp twine, coated wire, micro paracord, and sowing thread. A half length of cut pen tubing, 2 rubber bands, half dozen water proof matches, half dozen tooth picks, small magnifying glass, a small pencil and eraser, a piece of paper, a slice of thin dry cardboard, 2 zigzag papers, 2 stainless steel faucet screens, 2 bandaids, a small straw cut melted at both ends with antibiotic ointment inside, 2 alcohol pads.
    When the tin is sealed it has a good amount of usable duct tape which also holds in place a 2 ft x 2 ft square of tin foil.

....I think that's it!?

Have you used that kit?....
    Seems you would have to un-tape and un-pack to get any component out?
    Why not a water proof container that can be opened and closed?

I've opened it a few times in the field to use a few things here and there but never needed it for any kind of emergency. The theory is mostly sound though.. with it I can sew, patch, repair and improvise most essential tasks to help me out in a pinch. It's definitely useful for taking a long lite fishing gear for trout and catfish. We have limitations where I'm at (no fires or collecting wood etc) so I can't just go out and play with my toys.. ya know!?

...oh and the tin was super cheap as well as the duct tape which so far is replaceable. I like opening it every now and then hehe

Edit: Oh I almost forgot about my altoids mini case too.. it mostly has just fishing gear in it. Haven't opened it in a while though
    Last edited by DeadLeaf; 08-07-2015 at 08:41 PM.

I'm sure that many, many, kits are made and carried JIC.....but if you don't try them out or use them regularly, you don't really know if you plans/kits will work when you need it.

Any kit is much better than no kit...and just the idea that you are thinking about it, is a big step forward.

Personally I don't care for the Altoids kits....too small, and not water proof....but would like to see pic's of yours.

I'm still trying to learn how to post a picture on here.. I recently took some pictures before deciding to join so they are ready once I figure that out.
    Everything is about trouble shooting and "what if" scenarios as well as proven theory with me. Nothing I do, have or know is perfect and I guess that's part of the journey to live and learn. I appreciate any advice given I'm definitely still learning..

#BabyDeadLeafSteps

A theory is only sound once it has been tested...over and over. Until then it's only a theory.

Here's how to post pics.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...s-on-the-Forum

Thanks rick

The theory is sound.. I cant think of one item I have that couldn't be put to a practical purpose or have at least 10 uses for each. Now something like a hand drill wouldn't be a proven theory with me cause I've never started a fire that way..for example.
    But if I get a blister on my little toe.. the theory is sound that I can take care of it.. haha

Edit: still can't figure out why it won't post a picture..and i guess I didn't take a picture of my tin after all. So I need to get that too. Pardon my ignorance.. me dum dum technology no like Leafy kinda stuff going on right meow...

I'll be back
    Last edited by DeadLeaf; 08-07-2015 at 09:39 PM.

20150807_185244.jpg
    Oh I see what I was missing..I think it worked now.
    Anyways I can see I need to add more and I'm glad I found this thread post because i really like this subject either way and now I can see how much more I can add on to this deal and what needs refreshing like the vitamins and pain headache medicine. I've had it for years now. I use to keep a small pipe as well cause I'm funny like that, but I'm more partial to essentials these days.
    Couple extra things like the buttons I forgot to mention.
    All in all, it's how adapted I can be with my kit, aside from putting basic fishing tackle in there..by using some imagination, a small kit of essentials can help me guard against some common problematic situations if and when the time calls for it nothing fancy

I'm not sure this is the right place to discuss this further without drifting off the main topic.. But I'd like to add onto what Rick was saying about a theory..

IMO, if you want to find holes in your kit or prove a theory, you need to be put in those situations just as it may happen.. Meaning you need to put yourself into a multi day survival adventure without proper food to eat, without your favorite tool from your kit, in harsh weather, and find your breaking point. Is it day 3? day 7? or is it day 21? Then build on your kit and skill set that would prolong your stay.. Just do it in a safe manner close to cashes of food and supplies or other people that could bail you out in a pinch..

Well in respects to staying on subject and proving theory at the same time.. I know I've supplied my kit with the essentials to catch fish in a few different ways as well as cutting it and cooking it. I've most certainly used each item to do these things before. If I needed to make traps I most certainly could with the different ropes and wires.
    I don't like to break park rules when I practice basic outdoor skills but as far as fishing I know how to do that no problem and I think fishing kits can be very flexible as far as how effective you want your fishing experience to be

Banned

I think your point is that ultra compact fishing kits are not fun to fish with so most of us are reluctant to seriously try them out if we have better gear available. One thing I learned the hard way years ago was that it is important to at least have your hooks in a very good waterproof container and a ziplock bag is a terrible choice. Non-corrosive saltwater hooks are OK for actual S.W. but not very sharp for boney mouths of black bass (large mouth) and may be restricted because barb does not rust allowing fish to spit out hook after a few days if it breaks the line.

Also many State Parks will not let you cut a sapling to make a pole but you can get one from a friend's property or just go to a National Forest or Wildlife Management Area instead. Fishing is generally better when you get away from the bumper to bumper RVs. I am amazed at how much human trash there is in even fairly remote areas that can be used to trap minnows and crayfish which bass and catfish really like. Years ago I wasted a lot of time trying to catch crayfish by hand, not super hard but time consuming. Use a simple trap saves time, grasshoppers and worms are easier. If you run out of soft plastics and lures. That is another issue for me. I strongly prefer soft plastic so going to trouble to catch and use live bait is a PITA, Even a hard lure/spoon is last resort for me but good idea for survival or ultra light backpacking.