Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade survival fishing kits

Oh, I get it. I was expecting a picture. You just posted the instructions. I'm with ya.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You got it

I do not intentionally fish for gar but know some people who do for sport and to eat. I have caught gar on live bait and a spoon while fishing for catfish and bass.

Just a few weeks ago I was catfishing using some chicken livers and some hot dogs mixed with garlic powder and red Kool Aid.

I had brought a small tin of some smoked oysters to snack on. For kicks I made the little 2 liter bottle minnow/crawdad trap and put an oyster in there.I was watching the minnows, hunched over the bank. After awhile, they weren't going in so I took a mosquito head net and tried to net some.

Let me get to the gar.

As I was sitting quietly, waiting for the minnows to come within range a freaking huge alligator gar ever so slowly glided into sight! Out of nowhere this thing floated from the murky water to smell what was in the trap. It smelled it, then it slowly and menacingly floated away as I watched with great interest. They really are interesting. Kinda creepy too!

Why do you want to catch them? At times I would like to kill some cause they can overrun things.

Years ago my BIL, a friend of his and I went fishing down at Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. His friend is afraid of just about everything that moves outdoors. We were bluegill fishing on the lake side of a stand of cypress when an alligator gar floated up to check out my cork. It, too, slid up from the depths and just appeared there.

"Holy Crap!" (or words to that effect) "Look at the size of that fish" whispered my BIL's friend. "Catch it", he said from the front of the boat.
    "You want me to catch that?" I asked, from the middle. I knew as soon as that cork moved the gar would nail it so I gave a pretty good jerk and sure enough the gar grabbed the plastic bobber and hung on as I flipped it in the air. It landed in the boat between me and by BIL's friend with jars snapping.
    All my BIL's friend could do was climb as high as possible in the seat and shriek, "Alligator!!" He was convinced I had just landed a nearly three foot alligator.

We've laughed about that a lot over the years. And the time he blew the roof off a pump house because of a spider. Oh, yeah, and the time he nearly turned the car over because someone tossed a cuckle burr on him. And the time......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Careful what you ask for! LOL

Cool...

I purposly fish for gar because at the creek I fish at, the gar come to the surface every 10-20 min. for air.
    Funny story, Me and my brother throw in some dog food to see if any minnow will come for the bait. Well, the surface was churning with the minnows(the minnows are only about 1 inch long) after a few moments a a few spotted gar came to check on
    what was going on. Then a big *** gar came up. From what I can tell the middle was about the size of a soft ball. I have yet to catch one but I want to.

Over here in England,I am just finishing my cup of tea and I am off fishing for pike and perch .I am taking my usual kit ,but also a very compact telescopic rod and reel set up.I suspect that it will be successful .It fits nicely into my shoulder bag ,and I think it is an improvement on the standard survival handline-which I have used with moderate results.

Let you know later how I got on!

Enjoy the tea and good luck fishing. Look forward to the report.

Hay Paul m sent me a link for you telescopic fishing combo, a price and brand, please!!!!! Thanky you
    Last edited by Be Prepared 1.2; 08-24-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Right then!I fished my usual beat on our local river.First cast(I swear on my children's lives)I hooked a personal best Perch for this river.2lb ,fin perfect .It took my ondex spinner from behind in classic perch style ! Boy was I happy! Best was I caught it on that telescopic combo.I went on to catch 4 more perch and one chub.All the fish were caught on the tele rod .Cracking tip action for a cheap fibreglass rod.There's no link I am afraid- I bought it for £5 sterling from a local Market .I added the reel myself.I just saw the rod and figured it would be handy.I chuck that in my bag and my slingshot and Ihave a hunter gatherer set - up!

Pics, man! Pics or it didn't happen.

I do apologise.Although I use an I pod to do this, I am a very low-tech guy.When I fish or hunt I go quite primitive.No elelectronics.That's me I am afraid.

I meant to say ELECTRONICS.

I'm glad you clarified that. I thought you powered your iPod with an electric eel!

lol
    Ok on the tele. rod

I have a kit in a small tackle box, (a little bigger than a sucrets box), four small hooks, four large hooks, half a dozed split shot sinkers, and 4 bobbers, and fo feet of 6 Lb test mono. My Old fly rod is usually with me, as well as my vest with about 55 flies. Hey if I gotta rough it I might as well have some fun fly fishing.

My survival fishing kit is an old plastic welding rod tube cut down to 8" long with plastic caps on each end. It contains six flies, six lead split shot, six bare hooks of various sizes, 30' of 20lb nylon fishing line, 2 bell sinkers, and 4 miniature red/white plastic floats.

Here's mine.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just a suggestion on your reel. Rubber bands rot in short order. Get a small piece of velcro strap. You can still move it down like you do the rubber band when you want to fish but cover your line when it's not in use. If you find one as wide as the indention on the bottle it will cover all the line and protect it from nicks when in your pack.

Good idea. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel