Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade survival fishing kits

Talking Homemade survival fishing kits

This is my first Fourm
    Please reply with all your fishing survival kit and it's contents.

This is my introducton.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ction&p=307904

Thanks

By prepared 1.2
    Last edited by Be Prepared 1.2; 08-20-2011 at 10:55 PM.

My kit container is a pill bottle. In it I have 8 small hooks, and 5 large hooks. 5 small dipsy sinkers 5 split shot. 7 safety style swivel and snaps 4 jigs, 1 spoon lure and a beetle spin. Also I have 1 small bobber and a cut up cork to reduce the noise made by the tackle. I wrapped about 50 yards of 10 lb line. To complete it I attached a hook on the line and a small knife on the hook so I have a knife to clean fish and cut line.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

spear fishing at night with some kind of light / bait

140.jpg
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I use an old M-16 cleaning kit pouch to house my fishing kit. 80 lb test Spyder wire, why? because i'm not sport fishing here! and it can be used to build a shelter as well. about 2 dozen leadered hooks of various sizes, including some steel leadered hooks (good for catching yotes). A small package of split shots. A few wet flies and spinning lures. As most of my survival fishing will be setting trot lines, I don't need much else.
    I know what hunts you.

Awsome!!! Please keep 'em comming.
    Thanks to all who replied

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I use an old M-16 cleaning kit pouch to house my fishing kit. 80 lb test Spyder wire, why? because i'm not sport fishing here! and it can be used to build a shelter as well. about 2 dozen leadered hooks of various sizes, including some steel leadered hooks (good for catching yotes). A small package of split shots. A few wet flies and spinning lures. As most of my survival fishing will be setting trot lines, I don't need much else.
    This is my main approach as well. I do have a small aluminum pill bottle with some small hooks, lead sinkers, monofilament 6 lb. test but I don't think you can beat about 100 feet of bankline and some treble hooks to set out multiple, I'm talking about fififteen to twenty banklines or a good trotline.

Knowing where to set is critical as well like coves, fallen trees, heavy cover, rip rap and the like. I mostly have the small fishing kit to help me catch some smaller fish to then use these fish to catch some larger catfish or bass. I would set up some fish traps for smaller sized fish and crawdads, then turn this into bait, then use the guts and stomach contents for bank lines. Check there stomach contents. Usually you will find some small bluegill that can be used to catch catfish on a bankline. I have removed a small bluegill from the stomach of a bass and then caught a catfish with it.

Another thing I would add is that during winter, carry some Berkely Powerbait.
    Last edited by Backwater Bill; 08-19-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Be prepared 1.2, could we please get some background info on you, age, experience level, etc.? I like to know a bit about who I'm conversing with. Thanks!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Here ya go:

I understand this is your 1st forum, BP 1.2, so maybe this link will help you.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

In this forum you'll see a sticky at the top of the page that has a template you can use if you like, or just a small bit of info, like your age, experience level,that sort of thing, thanks.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

BP, 1st, there is nothing wrong with what you have already. Have you taken it out and tried it? 2nd, I will tell you right now that there are two fishing methods that I would use, one is a static method that I would use ONLY in a survival situation as it's illegal here as well as in most states for non-survival usage. It's called a trot line and I could make one using the interior strands of 550 Paracord! You can find information on a trot line in any survival book or online.

The other is a "fly fishing" method which requires some knowledge in that area. I would use this asa an "active" method while the "trot line simply sits and waits for fish to show up. If you've never "fly fished," or learned how to tie your own flies and are interested you need to hook up with some instructors in your area. Hope that helps!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Um, Sarge, trot lines, jug lines and bank lines are legal in most states. There are generally some rules assigned such as the number of hooks you can set out and/or the bait you can use, license of course, but I've set many a trot line in Illinois in my younger days.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Um, Sarge, trot lines, jug lines and bank lines are legal in most states. There are generally some rules assigned such as the number of hooks you can set out and/or the bait you can use, license of course, but I've set many a trot line in Illinois in my younger days.
    Cool, I stand corrected. However it would probably be wise to check the laws before doing so. I'm pretty sure that jug lines & trot lines are illegal here in Illinois for the average fisherman.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Actually, both are legal with some stipulations and that may be where the differences come from. You can not use a WIRE trotline in Illinois. Using non-wire line (nylon, etc.) is perfectly legal under your fishing license.

"Sportfishing License

A sport fishing license entitles an angler to take fish, crayfish, turtles or bullfrogs within limits denoted in the Statewide Creel and Size Limits Table, except for endangered and threatened aquatic life. It is unlawful to sell any aquatic life, or parts thereof, taken by a sport fishing license. Aquatic life may be taken by hand or other legal devices permitted by the sport fishing license which includes:

pole and line, bank pole and line, dip net throw line, trot line, buoyed device (jug fishing), or other legal devices not exceeding 50 hooks in total (except as noted under “Ice Fishing” section). Also permitted are legal-sized cast nets, shad scoops and minnow seines for bait fishing. Smelt may be taken in Lake Michigan with legal size dip nets, gill nets and seines.

Two untagged sport fishing devices are allowed; each device in excess of two must be tagged with the angler’s name and address. If attached to a tree, the device must be attached only to the main trunk below the water line. All unattended
    devices must be marked with the angler’s name and address."

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/fishing/...nformation.pdf

I assume fishing devices are items such as YoYos and speedhooks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually, both are legal with some stipulations and that may be where the differences come from. You can not use a WIRE trotline in Illinois. Using non-wire line (nylon, etc.) is perfectly legal under your fishing license.

"Sportfishing License

A sport fishing license entitles an angler to take fish, crayfish, turtles or bullfrogs within limits denoted in the Statewide Creel and Size Limits Table, except for endangered and threatened aquatic life. It is unlawful to sell any aquatic life, or parts thereof, taken by a sport fishing license. Aquatic life may be taken by hand or other legal devices permitted by the sport fishing license which includes:

pole and line, bank pole and line, dip net throw line, trot line, buoyed device (jug fishing), or other legal devices not exceeding 50 hooks in total (except as noted under “Ice Fishing” section). Also permitted are legal-sized cast nets, shad scoops and minnow seines for bait fishing. Smelt may be taken in Lake Michigan with legal size dip nets, gill nets and seines.

Two untagged sport fishing devices are allowed; each device in excess of two must be tagged with the angler’s name and address. If attached to a tree, the device must be attached only to the main trunk below the water line. All unattended
    devices must be marked with the angler’s name and address."

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/fishing/...nformation.pdf

I assume fishing devices are items such as YoYos and speedhooks.
    Now this IS good news!!!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I do have some fly-fishing experience and I tied a few of my own. Here's a link to one I posted online
    http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?...5855&Itemid=53

Also, I live in Texas so almost everything is legal... outside city limits and wildlife refuge lakes.

On a side note does anyone know how to catch spotted gar. I have a few in a creek not to far from my house, and I don't know how to catch them.
    please add me to your friends list.
    Last edited by Be Prepared 1.2; 08-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.

There is no pic at that link.

Blog Entries

Cool What????????

Quote Originally Posted by Be Prepared 1.2 View Post
    I do have some fly-fishing experience and I tied a few of my own. Here's a link to one I posted online
    http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?...5855&Itemid=53

Also, I live in Texas so almost everything is legal... outside city limits and wildlife refuge lakes.

On a side note does anyone know how to catch spotted gar. I have a few in a creek not to far from my house, and I don't know how to catch them.
    please add me to your friends list.
    You want to CATCH Gar? I live right next to the Mississippi River Valley and most of the Commercial fisherman catch them in their traps...not because they want to, however. they're considered "freshwater barracuda" by the commercial fisherman. Oh, and if you want to befriend sombody just click on their name and you'll get a drop down screen. You can then click on their profile page and then click on "send friend request."
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Starky, what are the dementions on the M-16 cleaning kit pouch
    Last edited by Be Prepared 1.2; 08-21-2011 at 07:32 PM.

I want to catch gar on rod and reel. I have a spincast rigged with 15 lb braided line with a wire leader on it with a size 4 treble.

Do gar take lures, if so what type of lures?

Sorry Rick, I don't have a camera, but follow the instructions and you will do fine.