Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Winter indoor garden

I don't grow them inside (no point with the length of our growing season). Rather than explain it, let me run outside and snap a quick pic. Be right back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't grow them inside (no point with the length of our growing season). Rather than explain it, let me run outside and snap a quick pic. Be right back.
    sweet. I was just trying to picture how to do this. A picture would definitely help.
    Last edited by Alpine_Sapper; 04-13-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: do. forgot the do.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

In another post I talked about a product called Earth Box. I tried one and was amazed at the difference in productivity. They were a bit expensive for my taste, so when I found plans on the internet to make your own.....they work as good as the $60 boxes and cost less than $10 to make. Here ya go.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh that's great, crash (and it's all so GREEN there...oh well, just another 8 weeks and it'll be the same here! )I see we're both using the same containers. Maybe I can trellis the vines along our bookshelf. Do you use commercial fertilizer on them? We have manure tea from the ducks and compost on the veggie menu.

For the squash (not pictured) I plant 6 plants in the box (3 on each side) with a fertilzer stripe (about 2 cups) running down the middle. I have also used 5 gallon buckets, but didn't get nearly the volume of squash that I do with this set up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's the design that I used.
    http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks crash! I also just went on the Earth Box site, that's really interesting with the fertilizer strip in there. Do you think putting raw duck manure in would be too stong? Another idea for homesteaders and log builders is to use the bark from peeling trees as mulch in the garden. Works as well as plastic IMO and is of course biodegradable.

Not sure about the duck manure. I know that one of the cautions was to use unfertilized soil because of the way the watering system works. Acts more like a slow time release. I guess some experimentation would be the key.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel