Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions On Firestarting Tools

Blog Entries

Default Need Opinions On Firestarting Tools

Need Opinions On Firestarting Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need your opinions on what is the best firestarting tool on the market?

UST Strikeforce, UST Blastmatch, Swedish Firesteel, Magnesium Blocks, ect.

Thanks in advance!
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

Best is very subjective. What I prefer may not be what you prefer, and visa versa. Here are a few that I reviewed a while back that includes the ones you listed.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like a standard firesteel/ ferrocerium rod in 3/8" to 1/2" diameter. Coupled with a nice flat spined knife you can't go wrong. The strike force you mentioned works great, but the included striker is too small for my hands. It is nice in that the handle has a small storage compartment for a Wetfire or other tinder. I replaced the Wetfire in mine with Birch bark and fatlighter. that combination works under any conditions knwn to man, except possibly being completely submerged underwater or in a no oxygen environment.

One thing I've noticed is that when I make fire in the bush, I want it to happen with as little messing around and prep as possible. Because, usually it's cold, raining, the bugs are eating me alive, or who knows what. with the above combo I can do that every time with just a basic kindling prep.

Recommending the best is one thing, but the best suggestion would be to get a few different firestarters, experiment around a bit with a few different tinders, and then decide what works best for you. That's what I did, and there's quite a few vids on my YouTube channel that show me experimenting around with some of the different things on the market, and some of the things that aren't on the market too. They can all be found in my Fire playlist over there.

Blog Entries

Very informitive Crashdive! Thank you.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

Metal match from firesteel.com, and petrolum jelly cotton balls.

I like the army size Swedish rods. I just recently bought a Blast Match. It does throw a good spark. I have caught an ember on shredded red cedar and river birch barks with the Blast Match. (I also keep cotton balls and drier lint just in case.) Natural tinder is fun to experiment with.
    The more you know, the less you carry. I need a wheelbarrow full of gear....

I've always love the US issue mag block firestarters. They work, are light, and the addition of magnesium to the ferro rod increases a persons chance of getting a fire.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Just make certain you have a good quality mag block. The fire steel has a tendency to come from together unto apart on the cheaper ones. (it falls off).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice videos. To adapt a quote from my father: "The best fire starter in the world is

The one you have when you need it."
    "Where is there a boy to whom the call of the wild and the open road does not appeal?" -Robert Baden-Powell

"A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room." -Robert Baden-Powell

O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.
    I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. -Psalm 104:24,33

My opinion is its a personnel choice based on ones experience with fire starters. I am a firm believer in the Strikeforce it is my number one guaranteed fire impliment with it and some wetfire tinder or a petro cotton ball is a guaranteed fire in any conditions I have ever faced . I do own all you mentioned and then some but I have many many kits put together and have tried almost everything imaginable to make fire including primitive means and I have found the strikeforce is my number one.
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Has anyone tried the BlastMatch Fire Starter, Sparkie Fire Starter or other retail fire starters? how do they compare?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. They work well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always carry a sweedish firesteel and a magnesium firestarter... both have served me well. The blastmatch is a very good tool as well, though I do not carry it as often. In the bush I always have it, but the other two are ALWAYS in a pocket.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

another suggestion is the "Zippo" lighter. With its wind proof flame. If the fuel runs out you still have Ferocerium flint and striker with a good amount of cotton stored inside of the fuel compartment. a true "Tinder Box"
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

For price nothing beats a BIC lighter as convenient fire lighting equipment.

I have them throughout my pack, jackets, glove box.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With the right tender, even a dead lighter is a fantastic firestarter if it still has a "flint" in it.

A bic lighter makes a workable signal flash at night even without fuel.

I love Bics. They will not work if they get freezing. Easy fix. Wear on the inside layer. Took me 2 days in Anchorage in Feb to learn that one.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

My family and I learned while in mountains the long "grill" lighters will not work at higher elavations. The would work when we went down in elavation, the regular bic lighters would work fine though.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

No question a BIC!
    make that 2!
    Last edited by socom2173; 11-13-2011 at 04:22 PM.

I now carry the Blast Match in my EDC and for a back up in my main kit is the Strike Force. I switched to the Blast Match for a couple of reasons.
    1: It puts out a large shower of hot sparks
    2: It can be used one handed
    Having been both aircrew and a SERE instructor, I have witnessed and heard tales of trying to start a fire one handed in less than ideal conditions.
    I know what hunts you.