Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&P Downgrades U.S. Debt

coun·ter·feit

   [koun-ter-fit]

adjective

1. made in imitation so as to be passed off fraudulently or deceptively as genuine; not genuine; forged: counterfeit dollar bills.

2. pretended; unreal: counterfeit grief.

Since the federal government owns the original anything they make is not a counterfeit. Asked and answered.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I was just being a smart acre by posting a photo of a million marks. Living conditions are still good in this country and even though the times are rough it's still better than anywhere else. So to irritate me and my pollyanna attitude send me all your greenbacks. I'll deal with it and take one for the team.

Well I guess the Sheeple finally got Bernanke's joke, as the Dow dropped another 520 points today (losing another 4.6% of it's value) aborting yesterday's rally and wiping out the tenuous recovery. The Canadian dollar, the UK pound and the euro are all up against the dollar, while gold is realtively flat (with a modest gain) and T-bill rates are down too.

Who would have thunk? Believe me, I don't relish being right this time! And no, I won't attempt to predict the bottom, as there are too many factors involved, but it will certainly be under $10k.

After everything is said and done these things don't really matter that much for our ultimate survival. What's more important is, will an hour of labor (at minimum wage) buy a lb of bacon, a loaf of bread and a dozen eggs or a single egg? If the latter is true, it won't matter how much money you have in the bank, but how much beans and bullets you have and whether or not you have the skills and fortutude to keep them.

Chip
    I asked my broker where to put my money. He said canned food and ammo.
    I think I'll just invest in ammo. Roasted zombies are mighty tasty you know.
    Especially the young and tender ones. Napalm sticks to kids!

I would bet pessimists find you pessimistic. Cynics find you cynical. Defeatists find you....oh, you get the point. Why do ONLY post on this stuff when it looks bad? I didn't see a single post when the S&P and DOW were doing well this year. You remind me of another fatalist we had on some time back by the name of Bragg. You aren't by chance....naw.........I'll make a bet with you, Chip. If there is a crash of the economy in the next, oh, say, month, I'll deliver to you one wheel barrow full of pennies so you can buy a loaf of bread. If the stock market recovers in the next two weeks then you send me ... Hmmmmm ... What do I really want, let me think. I know I'm draggin' it out but it's so fun .... I know. I know. One (1) share (I'll make you buy stocks) of Greenhouse Holdings. That will cost you 75 cents. Deal?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Crash in the next month? What do you call the market losing over 17% of its value in the last 3 days, a surge? OMG, greenhouse holdings? You're not related to Al Gore are you? I don't know anyone named Bragg, unless you're talking about Ft. Bragg, then I'm very familair with the gentleman. Got the T-shirt - only thing, it's got a couple holes in it. I don't mean to be doom and gloom all the time. I'd like to be upbeat - maybe when we get another president... Sorry, I know you don't like political posts, and I'm truly trying to be good - it's just so hard.

I've got a counter offer, Rick. I'll tell you what, if the DOW is over $10k, 2 weeks from today you'll get the stock; but if gold is under $1,800, 2 weeks from now you'll owe me roughly the equiv. If the opposite happens, it's a wash. Deal?

Chip
    Last edited by sushidog; 08-10-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Hmmm. Counter offer. How about this. If there is a crash AND an invasion I'll give you two wheelbarrows of pennies and if the market rebounds in two weeks AND gold paint drops to $2.50 a can you owe me two shares of GH.

I'm so confused.

You're a funny guy Rick.

Chip

Hey! It's all smoke and mirrors. Just ignore the man behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, don't mind me I was just back behind this curtain sizing it up for a duck blind....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just ignore the man in front of the mirror, more like it.

(Checking the menu on low priced stocks) What to do? What to do? So many bargains and so much money to be made. (drool)

[QUOTE=kyratshooter;306620I A family just lost a horde their grandad stashed back in '33. Several gold Double Eagles that were not supposed to exist in a safe deposit box in Texas. It was confiscated without recompensation by our fine government..[/QUOTE]

According to my research and an article in the August 2011 ICMJ Prospecting and Mining Journal Page 22 The "Double Eagles" were never released from the US Mint and were "Allegedly acquired" from a shady Cashier at the mint by Mr Swift. The Swift family "allegedly" acquired the Double eagle coins from her father safety deposit box after he died.

Information reflects that the safety deposit box was rented "years" after her father's death in 1990.

The Swift family is appealing the pretrial ruling and the trial judge is to rule on the "ownership" of the coins later this year.

The coins are currently being kept at Fort knox.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Looks like there are two sides to every coin.

Thanks for your 2 cent worth, Benesse.

Chip

A pence here and a pence there.....it all adds up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A billion here, a billion there and pretty soon we're talking about real money. - E. Dirkson