Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds largest Army

Default Worlds largest Army

Got this in an e-mail this morning.....

The world’s largest army... America ’s hunters! I had never thought about this...

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran.

More than in France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan ’s 700,000 hunters,

all of whom have now returned home.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that

the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

The Point?

Americawill forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought when next we consider gun control.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes,plus the ability to shoot long distances,great camo,and knowing the area give a huge offensive advantage to the largest army on earth.

Default Talk about a stretch...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The Point?

Americawill forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought when next we consider gun control.
    Might be a comforting thought to some, wish it was true on 9/11. (all 3 locations, Pentagon no less!)

Armed pilots and reinforced doors will most likely prevent that from occurring again. Also - with the complacent mind set that we had (collectively as a country) it did not occur to passengers that something like that could happen either. Once the passengers found out what was likely, they refused to be victims (4th location).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Another point: It demonstrates the staggering relative safety of responsibly deployed firearms.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Might be a comforting thought to some, wish it was true on 9/11. (all 3 locations, Pentagon no less!)
    One of the advantages of living outside of the target. Our AF will have to deal with them in the air. I wouldn't discount the force that will protect my swamp.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    One of the advantages of living outside of the target. Our AF will have to deal with them in the air. I wouldn't discount the force that will protect my swamp.
    Frankly, I'm a little more worried about my swamp than yours. No doubt you got that one covered.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That's so last century thinking.
    If there ever was a foreign invasion it won't look like anything we've experienced before, especially not hand to hand combat on our soil where that hunting firepower would come in handy. Heck there's little of that going on even in Iraq & Afghanistan by our own admission.
    Of course if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That's so last century thinking.
    If there ever was a foreign invasion it won't look like anything we've experienced before, especially not hand to hand combat on our soil where that hunting firepower would come in handy. Heck there's little of that going on even in Iraq & Afghanistan by our own admission.
    Of course if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    That's a good point....but I don't think we will see a "Red Dawn" invasion scenario any time soon.

Using airlines, dirty bombs, ulitility interferance, even cyber attacks, may be the weapons of choice if the future......But still feels good to have the 12ga close by.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nah. Those that wish to do us harm will just keep buying up our debt (since we refuse to control our spending) and collapse our economy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

At some point after our social and economic collapse; those debtors will want their money. The only way to get paid back will be invasion.

The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    At some point after our social and economic collapse; those debtors will want their money. The only way to get paid back will be invasion.

The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.
    That just makes me smile. Because SO many people would love nothing more. It would be the ultimate "make my day"...but it ain't gonna happen, at least not the way you'd like it to.

I just have to add this.....I live 30 miles from Shaw AFB. Look it up. The past 2 nights...you'd of thought the war was in back yard. That Gatlin'gun doesn't play. Be advised we ain't playin'!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

That was just Rick having bean burritos.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I find this thread highly interesting. Yes we have the manpower and guns, but what do we lack? The logistics of building a cohesive armed force is staggering. It's not that the hunters would shirk their duty, nobody would do that, but that an army requires dicipline, leadership, supplies and organization to be truly effective. Although there is definately something to be said about guerrilla warfare!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I just lost a giant post.

Anywho.

Benesse, you are right, nothing works out as I expect it to in open systems.

Sarge, logistics are more important when you operate abroad. Guerrilla warfare relies on its lack of central control/leadership. Hard to cut the head off of 1000 snakes.

ETA_-Just read a link on the enemies website unjustmedia.com that we spend about 20 million for every enemy kill we get against Afghan guerrillas.

America is too stupid to do simple math but maybe the Chinese will remember the cost of fighting on a different continent in these days of modern warfare.
    Last edited by Winter; 08-03-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nah. Those that wish to do us harm will just keep buying up our debt (since we refuse to control our spending) and collapse our economy.
    very true, still the American foreign policy will take a a diferent tune some day more and more people share the hatred and much because of US overspenditure and greedy wars, be honest your the country that lives more out of touch with reality, the world is cutting on fuel and investing on green energy, Chine for example spends around 8 times the USA gdp in in green power and you guys pay halliburton and other crooks for infested water and poor fighting conditions to your soldiers in a country like iraq that has oil for 16 days worldwide consumption... pretty dumb *** waste of resources...

but im still stunted with the numbers, thats a lot of guns imo, i think its cultural since in my country we abolished death sentence a long time and almost no legal guns are handed makes me think a lot in this scenarios. Its positive you have the written right to fend for your life and self defence i wish i had that privilege...

Quote Originally Posted by Blasfemo View Post
    very true, still the American foreign policy will take a a diferent tune some day more and more people share the hatred and much because of US overspenditure and greedy wars, be honest your the country that lives more out of touch with reality, the world is cutting on fuel and investing on green energy, Chine for example spends around 8 times the USA gdp in in green power and you guys pay halliburton and other crooks for infested water and poor fighting conditions to your soldiers in a country like iraq that has oil for 16 days worldwide consumption... pretty dumb *** waste of resources...

but im still stunted with the numbers, thats a lot of guns imo, i think its cultural since in my country we abolished death sentence a long time and almost no legal guns are handed makes me think a lot in this scenarios. Its positive you have the written right to fend for your life and self defence i wish i had that privilege...
    Say what? China uses COAL for most of it's electricity. That's not green in any way.

Greedy wars? Who is making money on these wars? Not the average American. The French will watch genocide on it's borders and not do anything. (Yugoslavia)

I personally don't think we should ever deploy overseas for one minute longer than it takes to decimate our enemy and leave their country a wasteland filled with widows and orphans. Of course, if we did that, most of the western world would be German or Soviet wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Say what? China uses COAL for most of it's electricity. That's not green in any way.
    true and not true, they are changing like no other country, i have family in China so i can tell they feel the difference, its a huge territory and takes time to get it all going even if you work like a chinese and ye im sure without US war effort we would be a different continent, wont comment on the pillage and orfans go to Iraq and check it out, and i agree its not the average US citizen and certainly the father and mother that bury a son or daughter that is profiteering, but Bechtel, Custer Battles, General Dynamics, Aegis Defense Services, Nour USA Ltd, Chevron, ExxonMobil and the Petro-imperialists, this guys are happy campers i can guarantee you this much....

Now, am i saying i blame the average American for this? yes i am like i blame all my fellow country men and myself for not being able to change our corrupt parliamentary system... we just have to keep fighting...

Does this mean i have something against any of you US guys? obviously not...

i have great passion for you treaties regarding separation of state, pursue of happiness and the right to fend for yourself but to a great extent and in practical terms those primordial nation rights are now twisted under fear and repression from central power... and if this can happen in America, im worried how the rest of the world will be like sometime soon.

Peace

Don't get too cocky.

Those hunting rifles won't do jack against tanks,air strikes,war ships, nuclear weapons, nerve gas, biological/chemical weapons, etc. And what do you do when the choice is to give up your weapons or watch mass executions? What if they attack the food supply (or water supply), including perhaps even erradicating wild game as the buffalo were once eradicated. How long can the hunters (not to mention the rest of the population) survive on wild game and foraging when they are all trying to do at the same time. There are about 12.5million hunters(over 16) in the US and about 20 million deer. What if they cut off the oil supply?

There are an estimated 9,750,000 guns in civilian hands in Iraq (2007). http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/iraq Vs, 46000 US troups. That is 200 guns per US soldier.

Hunters do not an army make. How many could actually kill a deer if the deer shot back? Most people have an aversion to killing another person even when in combat. 80 to 85% of US troups in WWII never fired their weapons to kill. A big part of military training is trying to overcome that. By vietnam, 95% actually fired with intent to kill. How many hunters would just leave it to the army? How many would just bug out and stay out? How many hunters have helmets and body armor? RPGs? Grenades? Automatic weapons? Secure communications? The will to fight? How many West Virgina hunters are willing to shoot to kill when the invading army turns out to be the conscripted Pennsylvania Hunters with guns to their head or soldiers protected by human shields?

The hunters are spread over 50 states and may stay that way to defend the home territory. This gives an invader a chance to divide and conquer.
    China has an army of about 4.5million soldiers.

At almost as many guns as people in the US, it might seem that no one in their right mind would invade the US. But how many heads of state do you know in their right minds? And a decision to go to war would be based on whether they think they can win, not whether they can actually win. And even that isn't necessarily a prerequisite.

Yes, the number of guns and hunters in the US can be a significant deterrent. No deterrent is foolproof, though.