Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keep An Eye On The Tropics

Blog Entries

Think I might be getting some sympathetic weather pains.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Winnie; 08-27-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Got everybody and everything taken care of I think. I'm not in the evacuation areas so I feel safe enough to just bug-in, but my go-bag is by the door and my docs, cash and guns/ammo within reach. Have food, drinking water and water for hygiene, 1st aid etc.
    Just in case.
    Delaware's biggest threat is flooding along the coast and the inland bays/creeks.
    I'm sitting at 17' above sea level and there's a creek down the hill, but I'm about 9 miles from the bay and 25 miles from the Atlantic ATCF.

Blog Entries

Water bottles in the fridge and freezer. Thanks for the suggestion. I just did this after reading your post. The power company here has already stated that people need to be ready to go an extended time without power. it may be an exaggeration but im ready. Anyway, pulled the boat out of the lake, topped off all fuel and cleaned up all loose stuff in the yard.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    Water bottles in the fridge and freezer. Thanks for the suggestion. I just did this after reading your post. The power company here has already stated that people need to be ready to go an extended time without power. it may be an exaggeration but im ready. Anyway, pulled the boat out of the lake, topped off all fuel and cleaned up all loose stuff in the yard.
    Same here,all ready.
    I had to pull the carb off my generator this morning.But got everything running and picked up some extra gas.
    Normally it wouldn't be a big deal,but I have a rather large fish tank.
    It's so humid out,especially for the N.E. at this time of year.
    They're saying there's 750,000 without power so far.

I heard on the news 1 million in North Carolina and Virginia alone. I didn't realize they had that many people that actually had power in North Carolina (smirk, giggle).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Its 3:36am, still rain and a roaring wind. Still have power and internet (did lose both once for about 1/2 hour). Did an out of my windows survey of my property and neighborhood using a flashlight, some downed branches, but does not look too bad. News says the eye is just coming ashore on the south coast.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Does it seem like the media is making a big deal out of this Cat 1? That is all you hear about on the news.

Man, did I get lucky! No damage and only lost power for about 30 minutes. I hope those of you to the north do as well.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

A lot of them are, and there is really no need. There is damage. There is flooding. There have been at least 9 deaths. Some are even running file footage of Katrina looting. I guess the civilized people of New York weren't active enough for them. Well, that and they knew that B would have given them what fo.

I always got a kick out of how the reporters "out in harms way" make a big deal of things. It is entertaining, but not all that useful as far as being informative. I guess we are a visual society though. I had to laugh at one report. The reporter, along with the boardwalk in Ocean City (don't know if it was New Jersey or Maryland) was covered with blowing foam. He commented on the smell and the taste. One "expert" said that the foam was probably so bad because of the raw sewage in the water. Hope his shots are up to date and that he has plenty of Immodium AD on hand.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I watched a news report on the hurricane with a reporter wearing waders standing about 50 feet out in the surf about thigh deep. Darwin Award was all I could think of.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Two more hurricanes on the way. Jose and Katia (spelling?). I'm going to have to turn off the TV.

So far so good. Still raining buckets but less than throughout the night.
    Just a little water coming in around the window AC unit (not well installed by the "professionals") which I kind of expected and put a lot of rags and paper towels around it. Freshly painted walls weren't touched, thank god.
    I think the worst is over and it wasn't as bad as what we were preparing for. A good place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    So far so good. Still raining buckets but less than throughout the night.
    Just a little water coming in around the window AC unit (not well installed by the "professionals") which I kind of expected and put a lot of rags and paper towels around it. Freshly painted walls weren't touched, thank god.
    I think the worst is over and it wasn't as bad as what we were preparing for. A good place to be.
    Glad to hear you're safe.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Thanks for the up date, glad to hear y'all are faring well so far.
    I get real tired of the "extended coverage" where they make up stuff, and real info in at a minimum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Chalk this one up to the good side. About one hours work and we had all the branches stacked for disposal Monday in my truck. That included the guys sweeping the little trash off the street. Talked to a policeman, many in our vicinity (other streets ) are complaining that the township has not cleaned the streets!!!! Guess that the theory of doing for yourself is rare indeed. There is one downside, as a preemptive strike the township closed all business (until 1300hrs) , to include coffee shops and diners, how barbaric !!!!!!
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I find it asinine that Starbucks would be closed. A civilized society requires certain amenities and Starbucks is certainly one of those!

Starbucks WAS a blow on Sat. when I got around to it.
    Then I went to Dean & Deluca and paid $4 more/lb (French roast) that we had today and it wasn't nearly as good.
    Lesson: don't put off tomorrow what you can do today. I was too lazy to get the coffee on Fri. thinking I'll just get it on Sat and now see what happened? Never again!
    I'll do without a lot of things but a good cup of coffee is the last thing to keep me sane and connected to the good life.

A perfect example of why I include a lot of coffee in my food stores.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1000 days post apocalyptic disaster.

(GASP!) "Oh the humanity!"
    "What's wrong?!"
    "We're out of coffee!!!!!!!"
    "Don't worry. Just call Crash."
    "Oh, yeah. Silly me."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1000 days post apocalyptic disaster.

(GASP!) "Oh the humanity!"
    "What's wrong?!"
    "We're out of coffee!!!!!!!"
    "Don't worry. Just call Crash."
    "Oh, yeah. Silly me."
    (6 months later....)
    "I heard Crash was Getting low on coffee and is now charging 2 cows per lb."
    "That's cheap, The guy down the road wants 2 cows and a bull."
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen