Thread: Free at last!!!!!

Default Free at last!!!!!

Friday , 29 July 2011 was my last day at work. I guess I ticked of the bean counters one too many times . Instead of giving me two weeks notice, they gave me 4 hours notice and a check for three months wages and continued the other bennies for 6 months. Actually this location was relocating to Maryland in September and I had not planned on going anyways. Now I think I can start to enjoy this third and final retirement, and slowly start getting things ready to sell the house and get out of this state.. Of course things are not that easy, I have a friend that I owe many favors to that may need some help, and I may get "drafted" to work for him for a while. I was not sure how I was going to feel about this, but when I researched it and realized that the company has to pay a "premium" to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey for my benefits above their normal payment due to the relocation of work out of state, I felt much better, getting that last shot at the bean counters.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Final result... Pal334-1 Bean counters-0! Congratulations! Gives you more time to find the F.A.R.T boat you lost a while ago
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Sheesh, a guy can not live anything down, can he
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

Enjoy your new found busy time.

Now you can do like (I believe it was H63) posted.

Mrs. Pal334 - What are you doing today?
    Pal 334 - Nothing.
    Mrs. Pal334 - You did that yesterday.
    Pal334 - Didn't finish yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's actually not unusual to pay a state for relocation. Each state usually has a law on the books regarding relocation of jobs that impact over "X" employees, whatever that state chooses "X" to be. Generally, it's 500 although some states are as low as 300. We held some offices open and slowly reduced headcount, usually by attrition but not always, until we reduced the headcount below that state's magic number.....then closed the office.

Congrats on your retirement. It's a good life. In a very short time you are going to wonder how you ever found the time to squeeze in work. Just consider today your first day of vacation. A very long vacation.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Congratulations Pal. Just remember that if you develop lumps in you chair, your spending way too much time in it.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Get started building your dream cabin.

Congrats. I have they same problem with bean counters my "gut" number beats the beans calculation everytime. So, what state are you thinking of relocating to?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Congrats, it's a whole new life.......But if you think of everyday as Saturday....it helps.
    Oh yeah, get one of those retirement clocks that tell you what day it is, that helps, as well.

Went thru 'retirement" a couple/three times my self...thankfully we spent a lot of years preparing for it...and so far it's working out for us, hopefully it will for you as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Congrats, Pal!

Let us know how working full-time for Mrs. Pal works out. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Mmmm,, she has a list about a mile long, strangely , it does not match the list that I have,. I am sure she will resolve that soon enough. One thing I am firm on is that I am going to the gym every morning, do some light weights, treadmill, etc. It is the first time I will be able to dedicate time to "me" like this. Then one task/ chore per day and mandatory reading time. She is so far supportive of the concept as long as I stay on task with her list. That will be mostly the preps for selling. My guess is this will take about two years (not in any rush)

We going to live in upstate New York, and have a summer house or apartment in Puerto Rico . In NY will probably end up with a small farm (under 20 acres) which will provide alot of putter time in the woodshop.

This is my third retirement and the first where I should be able to act retired (unless I get drafted by my friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's actually not unusual to pay a state for relocation. Each state usually has a law on the books regarding relocation of jobs that impact over "X" employees, whatever that state chooses "X" to be. Generally, it's 500 although some states are as low as 300. We held some offices open and slowly reduced headcount, usually by attrition but not always, until we reduced the headcount below that state's magic number.....then closed the office.

Congrats on your retirement. It's a good life. In a very short time you are going to wonder how you ever found the time to squeeze in work. Just consider today your first day of vacation. A very long vacation.
    THey could not get away with that kind of game. Our customer, Ft Monmouth is almost completely closed and relocated to MD, so they had to bite the bullet.

It's all a numbers game. It will be for you, too. Your wife won't care how many chores on the list are done as long as the one is hers. (snicker). What? Yes, dear, I'm working on it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Might want to consider a different state. While upstate NY has slightly different gun laws from the lower half (and only cuz the counties up there ignore most of them, not that they aren't on the books), that whole state makes MA look easy, though it may be a step better than NJ. I have family in upstate NY. They say it's getting sorta kinda too "civilized" there now for their liking.
    VT is one state over...Free state.

Big advantage to Upstate NY (from my point of view) is that all the rest of my family is there. NY treats my government pensions well (state tax free). The fire arms issue is not a huge one for me, I get retired LEO treatment, so is a bit more friendly, and also does not hurt that a County judge is a high school class mate The family aspect is the biggest consideration, we have been away for too long.