Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information and survival

Until now, I had no clue of the Wiki cache thingy. Thanks Whitis, rep sent.

A somewhat unrelated search landed me here, to no avail, but I'll try and add a little something while I am here.

First, PDF works for me with my current tools (laptop, desktop, iPhone). I use OO (open Office), collect what info I feel needed, export as PDF, and store that in a dropbox folder. I then have a synced series of machines, and the materials are resident on each of those machines.

Thumb drive, check. The SD suggestion with a usb adaptor is one that I need to implement.

Hard copy library, kinda sorta check. I do not hard copy all of the harvested digital material, only task of the day/week/month, that is reserved for bedside reading/reference. I hard copy cache what I'll term "recipes", and I ain't talking cakes and cookies, and a multitude of things that I don't feel comfortable committing to memory. It's semi portable, and somewhat categorized. The library proper is 8' tall x 40' long, it's a life time of static resources.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I got books, I got the internet and how-to Youtube videos, but for me, it's nothing unless I have tried it myself and made it mine.
    You don't want to be trying out a survival technique for the first time when it's dark, cold and wet and you can't see to read the manual. It should be a part of you by the time the rubber hits the road.

In the bush, I kinda sorta agree. A fire, a primitive shelter, potable water, and just what I can and can't eat are in memory.

But there is a broader kind of knowledge that I may need. What can you do with that chemistry set in the bathroom/ laundry room/ kitchen? How much torque and horsepower can you get from a given head and flowrate? For a given windspeed, what diameter prop for a given torque/horsepower? Voltage drop in a given wire size/length? I could go on and on.

I ain't gonna carry my knife in my teeth and pick berries outta bear dookie for long. I'll plant roots, or reinforce the ones I have, and make things a bit more convenient for Martha. Or, she'll find someone that can.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I trust the government to care for ALL of my needs. And should they fail, I will do what "White Bear" the survival expert advises.

So that's what that new sled is for, carrying all of those thumb drives loaded with "White Bear" videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I trust the government to care for ALL of my needs. And should they fail, I will do what "White Bear" the survival expert advises.
    What? Move to Detroit and live in your parents basement? ***OR*** Live vicariously through a vivid imagination, creating fantasies that fill the empty void of your real life? ***OR*** Becoming the ridicule of an on-line community that will have fun at your expense for years to come much like the escapades of the Mall Ninja?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well I have a thumb drive in my BOB with blood type, drivers licence and social security card photo's. Also my address and phone numbers of family, and that is all I need!

I wear a thumb drive around my neck that has an ICE document, my medical records, my living will, my medical power of attorney and my organ donor form.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.