Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SURVIVALIST and their "POSITIVE" view of "WORLD DEPRESSION" GAME II

Banned
    Blog Entries

Unhappy SURVIVALIST and their "POSITIVE" view of "WORLD DEPRESSION" GAME II

Please try to make this as real as you can, Close your eyes and try to envision loosing everything, very, very, very slowly over four to six years. Every day your life is worse than the day befor, you are slowly headed for Bankruptcy. You are clinically depressed. You are angry at the injustice.

In Russia through the 1930's Depression TEN Million people starved to death. From 1983 through 1995 Alaska saw 70% of it's Banks, and Savings & Loan Co. go bankrupt. Houses sold for .10 cents to .30 cents on the dollar. (What had been a $220,000.00 home sold for $34,000.-) Condo's were near worthless. People left Alaska to find work. Local Governments had no tax base, and were forced to fire employees. People who bought Real Estate at F.D.I.C. auctions at 50% off soon learned to regret their greed. Day after day it got worse. No Hope. Renters and business could not pay their rent. The only construction work was for F.D.I.C. repairing bank owned, looted, gutted, properties. See through office buildings completely empty. Everybody hording what few dollars they had, bought only what was needed. Family's moved in together. It get's worst, but I'll save that for later.

No NUKE'S, No VIRUS, just depressing day after day of a ever worsening economic conditions: Someone in your family, (maybe you) has had a medical problem, and the bill is $117,521.78 It was submitted to your company's Insurance Co. and you have just been advised the Insurance Co. is bankrupt because it held it's reserves in CDO's and SUV's and CFO's which a worthless because the Bond Insurer was downgraded from AAA+ to BB-, the bond insurer is bankrupt also. BUT the hospital needs payment or it will force you into bankruptcy. The court has awarded the hospital a judgement and lien on your home, savings account, etc..
    Inflation is 21% and climbing at 2% per month. U.S. Dollars are near worthless so you spend them as soom as you can, but it is getting hard to find a taker, people want Euro's or Gold. All UAW Union members are on strike. The hedge fund that bought Chrysler is bankrupt. Your home is worth 35% less today than it was one year ago, And dropping 2% per month. If you are one of the active FORM members still living at home with your parents you now have "NO" allowance. If your FORM name starts with a Number, or "A" through "D" you just got laid-off. You can find work at 60% of your old wages. The rest of you fear you will be laid-off soon. What went wrong with America??? What went wrong with the World??? Was the whole monetary system a illiusion??? A house of cards??? No matter, you must make serious changes to how you live, and how you plan for tomorrow, next week, next month. It will get worse. If you play this serious others will learn from your choices, as you will learn from theirs. "GOOD LUCK", The GAME IS ON................you may now post.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I would simply sell my house for whatever it is worth (I live in CT, people are relatively rich in my area) and then buy the first plane ticket I can to Finland. Then I would prob live w/ my Uncle, since he's a commando in the Finnish Army (my dad isn't anything special in the Finnish army) so he would know how to survive pretty darn well if those issues hit Finland.

As for the hospital thing, I would delay it until I am over in Finland where they can't do anything about it, because the government there pays for my hospital visits (since I'm under 18).

For my money, I would probably just buy a nice car with it and ship it to Finland (nice cars are expensive there), and end up probably getting most of my money back by selling it in Finland.

As you can tell, my whole plan basically revolves around my mother country, so if anything happened to Finland I would just buy a gun and stay low until things start to settle.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile Sorry

Regret to inform it is worse in Finland than America. There is no happy face to put on this. Your house sells for $78,883.00 less than you owe. You borrowed the $78,883.00 from your uncle, but now he needs money, he needs your help. This is a world "DEPRESSION". Deal with it. Soon you will be eating every other day. No food. The truth is the young people will have the hardest adjustment to make. And as your FORM name starts with "A" your Father is now unemployed, you have no allowance. As for waiting till it settles, well 11 years from now, It will be half as good as yesterday. HALF. If you are still alive.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-02-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Voyageur enseignant

The financial news just this past week (02/01/08) has shown how intertwined the world's financial markets are to the USA and Wall Street. This IS reality ... if the US has a depression, EVERYONE in the world will suffer for it. It won't take you very long to find this information for yourself. While Hopeak's scenario may be a practice run, the world still feels the pain for real. Just my .02 cents. NorthWind

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile I want to play also

I have been going through my guns to see what I can live without, I have traded a Rock River AR-15 and 1000 rounds of ammo to the Fuel delivery Co. for 1,500 Gal. of stove oil.

I had to many guns, and they had fuel they could not sell, and one of their trucks got Hi-Jacked, They now send a man riding shotgun with all deliverys, half of their employees and their families are living at the office. I sold some guns for gold, and some for Euro's Dollars. One guy bought two guns and I took two cows, and three hundred Yankee dollars, which I ran straight to Sam's Club and bought Rice, canned bacon, baked beans, 120# of cheap dry dog food, and pancake mix, was glad to git rid of the U.S. Dollars quickly. Thank God my cabin is paid for. I need Gasoline for the chainsaw, I have some 30 weight SAE motor oil I'll use for mix. I am so depressed, everyone is depressed, sad, broke. The U.S. Government just sent everyone $600.00 to help the economy, but all it did was drive down the value of the Yankee Dollar. There is talk of wage and price FREEZE, like we had in the late 70's and early 80's.

There is talk of some Government make work programs, and the State of Alaska was going to self build the Natural Gasline, but now no one in America can afford Natural Gas and the price has crashed.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-02-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Alert...alert...alert

The President of the United States Of America will address the Nation after the Super Bowl. He will tell you the Country is strong, the economy has hit some rough spots but we will be O.K. do not panic. He is declairing a "Bank Holliday" for next week, all Banks and the Stock Markets will be closed till February 11, 2008. Everything is fine, The Banks are solid.

A Rogue trader in France has hacked into the Banks Oversight security systems. He (The Bank) was on the wrong side of a highly leveraged Oil futures trade.......The Bank lost $70,BILLION Dollars, which is $6.7 Billion more than the book value of the Bank. It will Take the World Banks all next week to sort out who was on the other side of the Trades. The markets are closed: But the Back Alley price for Gold is $3,650.00 per oz.

Some Nation's are experiencing riots, and people trying to break into the Banks.

The word on the street is the Dow Jones Industrial Average will open Lock limit down every day till the average is at 3,275 from a high of 14,505. Do not panic everything will be O.K.

How can this happen??? Was everythig just an illuision??? Was it all just a confidence game???????????? Is not the money backed by GOLD.....Is it just backed by Air........
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-02-2008 at 07:48 PM.

i try to keep two years worth of bills in the bank so unless the bank decided to say all that money is gone then i am good for at least two years, i have also stated before thatif there is that much foreclosure on homes and that much uneployment i do not think that they can enforce everyone being booted from their homes, plus i live in an isolated enough area that i could retreat to the cabin down in the valley on my property which i could not be seen unles a specific trek was made to find me, next would come the barter system, being a plumber and also a heating tech, i would be able to barter my way through some of this mess, all these years of studing wild edibles has paid off lots of lakes to fish and an overabundance of deer(for now) but i see that my planning all these years for this may have helped ease the burden somewhat, i am also counting on the fact that this area is home to one of the largest precious metal deposits in the world and if xstrata and valle inco merge it will be the fifth largest in the world, the world will still need to function at a basic rate, and i admit i am white in my late 30's and as a trades man making good money the last 12 years i am spoiled. it will be diffucult to adjust, but i ahve prepared well so, so far i will be okay will have to wait it out to see what happens next.

WE - One of the better posts on the forum. It is about savings = preparedness. Just don't forget to increase the amount by the rate of inflation or you will reduce your survival time by that amount. Savvy?

et al. - Some debt is good, even advisable. It establishes a credit history and serves to establish that you are a good credit risk. Employers are even using credit ratings more and more to decide what type of employee you will be. But you have to be able to control it or it WILL control you. I will guarantee you there are folks on this forum that do not balance their check books and if they do they round the cents up or down to the nearest dollar, pay ATM fees for the privilege of using their own money, and either pay the minimum payment on maxed credit cards or late fees or both. It's your money. Throw it away if you want.....or take control of it. Here's a free financial lesson for you. If you can't afford to buy it....don't. Use some fiscal restraint. That's just everyday good sense.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ok. I’m in my 50’s living with my parents and just lost my job. Went down to the hospital to try and work out my bill. They seem agreeable to me, along with a few neighbors providing security. I guess some employees have been threatened, theft of supplies and diesel. Looks like they’re in just as bad a situation as everybody else. A lot of the communities have pooled together their resources and are planting some pretty sizable crops. Hopefully we won’t get any more freezes this winter. All of the fruit trees are doing pretty good. Rode my bicycle to the west side of town where most of the farms are. They seem to be functioning pretty well. Most are willing to trade. The fishing’s been real good. I’m getting better at it. Glad the house and vehicles are paid for. They’re all gassed up, but I’m pretty frugal about using them, what with gas anywhere from $12 to $15 a gallon. I’ll keep you posted.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay, Im in a shell scrape (army shelter type, good when your trying to cammouflage yourself) with a mechete and a load of food/water stashed somewhere. Anything that comes close will get a very bad surprise, "WE MUST KUNG FO FIGHT" " "WHA-CHA" "CHOP".
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

This scenario is really scary as it is a very viable threat. This is not a case where the "infrastructure" has failed but where it itself is what we're trying to Survive. The bank foreclosed on my house? My poor landlord, I rent. They closed my bank account? They can keep the 5 bucks. What am I gonna do? Don't know as I'm pretty much already in that situation. Prices on all things needed to sustain life and our way of living are climbing higher than most of us can keep up with. Gas, heating fuel, electricity, rent, house payments; and to make it worse American industry goes even further by cutting jobs here in America by sending their factories into other countries in order to cut labor costs, there-fore depriving many Americans the income needed not only to pay for basic services, but to buy the goods those same industries are trying to sell to us. Where's the money going to come from if we can't work? What about the benefits we used to enjoy from 40 hour a week jobs which now have scaled down to "part-time" work, there-fore depriving us of those as well. The answer?
    That's got to come from us, the American people, but we have to be united; and I don't see that happening.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You are so right Sarge.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Why, Tell me WHY???

Why did the game that Sarge47 put up get 157 posts, and 1,720 views...??? Could it be we like it clear cut??? Where you have two choices: stay home, or bug'out with your AR-16 switched to full-auto, loot, plunder, live happly ever after in you log shack....in Canada or Alaska...???

Why did no one want to play Rick's Game???

Why is anarchy so much easier to plan for, than day to day living in a real, "it's happening NOW", deal with it situation.

We need to play this game, and learn from each other, and teach each other. I lived through a Depression......and it is ...well....VERY DEPRESSING. Get in the GAME!!!!!!!

Default it is serious

I've started kind of avoiding all of these threads, because some of our replies become almost pointless. I have to say that my thinking might not do a lot of people here any good, but here goes...

1. I heard from my Mom (my Dad died when I was quite small so I didn't really get his point of view, he grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan) what it was like suffering through the Great Depression...She lived in Winnipeg and it was tough. Extremely tough

2. I heard from my former in-laws what it was like living through the Great Depression on a trap line in far northern Manitoba. They didn't know there was a Depression. They worked hard hunting and working a trap line before, during and after the Depression. No one went hungry.

3. I've learned enough from the people in both of those first two examples that I know I can fade back into that wilderness (anyone want to check out Manitoba on a map? there's still plenty of wilderness) and live the way I was meant to. That's my plan (with certain recent modifications involving who gets to come with me).
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Hi hopeak,
    It sounds to me that you are a very smart person to buy the beans and the rice. Did you know that you can buy D E to put on them to keep the bugs from getting into them. The D E is ground shell and will kill the bugs. Also, you can freeze the beans, for three days, then take out of the freeze. Refreeze for another three days. Then store them. Hope this helps.You can also get a food grade 55 gallom drum , put the beans and rice in, then add dryed ice, close the top. Be careful, some say this can explode.
    Hope this helps,
    Cabingirl
    Last edited by cabingirl; 02-03-2008 at 06:05 PM.

I haven't played because I don't buy into the scenario. That's my problem, not yours. I don't see many legitimate comparisons between what occured in the '30s and what we are seeing today. I don't fear an economic collapse or the end of the world as we know it. I'm a sheeple, I guess.

I'm more concerned about what will happen to me if I break a leg in the middle of Deam Wilderness or have a heart attack or a stroke or get shot because someone mistakes me for a six point buck (it's the bad hair, I guess). I'm way more concerned that my home will get smacked by a twister than I am TEOTWAWTI. But hey, that's just silly little ole me.

Someone tell me how to stop the bleeding or mend the leg or build a better shelter or......whatever....I'll play that game, which was what I tried to do with my game but Noooooooooo.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

RICK, I did play your game, I was the only person who would come out and play your game. This is only a game...."GET IN THE GAME". You are the best that there is at "GOATING" others along. Come on Ricky, you kind'a want to play. Tell'Ya what I do, I will let you win.

My evil plan comes to fruition! A guarantee of a win. Finally!

I think it's great that you disagree. I encourage folks to disagree. I WANT to know what your thoughts and opinions are. That's one of the many ways I learn. I didn't mean to lump any depression with an end of the world scenario. That are quite different. Anyone check the Prez's latest finance package?

Okay, here you go.

I had taken my lump sum retirement and invested in mutual funds. What a mistake that turned out to be. Gone. All of it. My medical insurer went bankrupt and my former employee keeps answering the phone with, "Who? Who's calling?" Thirty years for nothing.

The thing that irks me is I had medical insurance that covered the bill and it was okay for the insurer to file bankruptcy but now I'm stuck with the bill. What was I paying premiums for?

I don't have any other debt but I don't have any savings either since the FDIC is inundated with requests. It could be years before I get any of my savings back....if I ever do.

And I have no idea how much longer my wife will be working. They keep talking about cutting jobs and I'm back trying to find one. Anywhere! I might be the only MBA diggin' ditches but I'll take anything at this point. I won't be able to keep the lights on for long and I'm more worried about food than I am anything else. I was at the store today and a loaf of bread was $7.00!! And they didn't have any.

I'm sorry to report that my neighbor shot himself this afternoon. The sheriff is supposed to evict them tomorrow. The bank foreclosed on their house last month and they had refused to move even though the power was turned off last week. I had been taking wood over to them to help keep them warm but I was starting to get low and thought I might have to stop doing it. I don't guess I'll have to worry about that now. I have no idea what his wife is going to do but their daughter is over there loading stuff into a pickup.

I live in an area of Atlanta where the houses can easily reach the $1 million mark, well at least they used to. I was a fortunate one. I bought an older house across from Sugarloaf Country Club (can you say ATT Classic Golf Tournament?) for $130,000 a few years ago. If I could sell it for $100,000 (now that the financial shtf), I'd be grateful. Next thing on my mind, where do we go? My wife's parents live on 8 acres in middle Georgia, so that might be where we're headed for a while. With no work and no income, I might as well learn how to plant and farm on those 8 acres. My wife's parents have 3 horses on that land, but the cost of feeding them isn't getting cheaper. We'll either sell them, trade them, or shoot them.

Anyone know how much land one needs to feed yourself and your family? Would there be enough left food to trade? Fortunately, we have two cars that are paid for, so we'll try to unload one for whatever we can get for it.

At this point, we're all thankful for our health, but we can only take it one day at a time.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien