Thread: "Airhead" Brain-less "Stupid" Idiot Product reviews.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default "Airhead" Brain-less "Stupid" Idiot Product reviews.

First air'head: "It is so pretty, I just know it will work"

Second air'head: "It is so bright and cheery, I just love the colors"

Third air'head: It is cute and it matches my "NEW hiking shoes"

Fourth air'head: It's not too big, It's not too small, I think it will work for me"

These are reviews of Backpacks, not day packs or handbags.

Bonus review: "I hike a lot, and I can take this on the airplane"

My special request: If you are a clueless airhead, please don't review products.

Solid request. Thankfully we have not seen that sort of review phenomenon here at this forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Solid request. Thankfully we have not seen that sort of review phenomenon here at this forum.
    That is true, but spend an hour shopping for a large (6,000+ c.i.) internal frame, quality backpack.

I know that this probably isn't an option for you because of your proximity to stores, but when I bought my last (non surplus) pack I went to four stores (2 large sporting goods chains, 1 outdoors chain, and one local specialty outfitter) and tried on packs. Even the sporting chains (to my surprise) let me load the packs and walk around as long as I wished. When I was through with that - I pretty much had made up my mind as to what I thought would be best for me. I then went on-line and read some reviews from what appeared to be respected sites. The reviews for the pack I was leaning toward were good, but not great. It seemed a lot like some of the top reviews were almost like paid product placement ads. I'm sure they are all good, but that's how it appeared. I stuck with my original choice and have not been disappointed. Of course, I don't give a pack the same work out that I used to, and probably no where near the paces you would put it through, but for my needs it was great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

SD, what are you doing on a site that has those types of reviewers?

Somewhere on the internet is a thread that starts out....."Grizzled" Outdoorsman "Offgridder" pragmatic Product reviews. Where do these people come from?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Lemme guess...these people aren't from survivalblog.com, right?
    So SD must be getting off track out there on the net.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Lemme guess...these people aren't from survivalblog.com, right?
    So SD must be getting off track out there on the net.
    Yep, I am shopping for a LARGE backpack, a expedition size pack. Starting next summer I want to start doing saturation hikes, where I move into a remote valley for longer periods, and leave camp to come back to the cabin for only a few days, then back to explore that valley.

This is the current front runner, I am hoping for a super Labor Day sale........http://www.kelty.com/p-411-red-cloud...gory=backpacks

Soooo.....that's the one , that best matches your hiking boots? LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Yep, I am shopping for a LARGE backpack, a expedition size pack. Starting next summer I want to start doing saturation hikes, where I move into a remote valley for longer periods, and leave camp to come back to the cabin for only a few days, then back to explore that valley.

This is the current front runner, I am hoping for a super Labor Day sale........http://www.kelty.com/p-411-red-cloud...gory=backpacks
    The pack that I decided on in my previous post was the Kelty Red Cloud 5600. I've had a few Kelty packs and have been very pleased with all of them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

The pack that I decided on in my previous post was the Kelty Red Cloud 5600. I've had a few Kelty packs and have been very pleased with all of them.
    That is the one that I should buy (it weighs 5# 12 oz.) and the 6,650 weighs 6# 2oz. so I'll most likely get the Red Cloud 6,650 c.i. pack. I had a bit of a time on my last hike with my fishing poles. I have several Kelty packs and most of them are external frame freight haulers.

Crash, Does the "Lid" on your pack turn into a lumbar pack........? If so have you ever used it as a fanny pack......????

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    That is the one that I should buy (it weighs 5# 12 oz.) and the 6,650 weighs 6# 2oz. so I'll most likely get the Red Cloud 6,650 c.i. pack. I had a bit of a time on my last hike with my fishing poles. I have several Kelty packs and most of them are external frame freight haulers.

Crash, Does the "Lid" on your pack turn into a lumbar pack........? If so have you ever used it as a fanny pack......????
    It does, but I have not used it in that manner. My usual way of carrying a weapon while hiking with a pack on is in a waist back. If I intended to ditch the pack at a base camp I probably would detach it and use it as a fanny pack with the waist bag still in the front.

All of my previous Kelty packs were external framed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, wait no further for that sale.

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/KLTP...22-149368457-2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CX8IQO/...O&linkCode=asn

http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty...utm_medium=cpc

I have not dealt with any of these folks. Hopefully, one of them will give you a good deal on shipping, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm curious as to what you expected.

Never get gear reviews from the person selling the gear.

You knew it when you read them,,hahahah

I bet you mumbled, "Well what are these idiots saying 'bout it?"

http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty...utm_medium=cpc

Nice looking pack, any way they make an all OD one? no
    Last edited by Winter; 07-31-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I have had the same problem with reviews I have read before. They are usually by people who haven't used it yet. I even read a few that said their husband really liked it. I think it comes from companies pushing for reviews. A review generally helps ease the purchaser's anxiety about buying the wrong gear. It is funny to read reviews that you can tell the person has no clue about it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Ya, if someone is selling or has an"vested" interest in the product the review is pretty much worth crap. I use YouTube for some reviews if at all possible, because, after you filter through all the folks who are showing a brand new shiny one that's obviously never been used, you eventually find a good one where the person is actually putting it to the test, and seeing is believing IMO.

I found one good review of the Rifleman system where the person actually broke it down, showed assembly instructions, pluses and minuses, and I had to wade through about 100 bogus reviews of people trying to hawk gear or kids showing it on their bed all out of focus and sheet. LOL!

That's what prompted me to review the packs that I did, there just wasn't much good info out there on the subject. I'm a bit surprised about how many views these gear reviews get, it's amazing and some folks dedicate their entire channel to doing them. People just like watching reviews no matter how good or bad they are.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised about how many views these gear reviews get, it's amazing and some folks dedicate their entire channel to doing them. People just like watching reviews no matter how good or bad they are.
    That sums up the nutnfancy youtube channel. His reviews are great, so people like to watch them. Of course, if he hasn't reviewed something that you are looking at, then.....

YouTube reviews are no better than any others IMO. There are some valid reviews, just like there are some valid written reviews. I've seen several YouTube reviews where the reviewer gave it a mediocre or poor review simply because they didn't know how to properly use it. Seen quite a few where they even damaged the equipment because of their lack of knowledge on how to use it. Now - if you can recognize that it is being used improperly, then you pretty much know the review is BS and can move on. If not....................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Now - if you can recognize that it is being used improperly, then you pretty much know the review is BS and can move on. If not....................
    Yeah, pretty much.