Thread: Just spent a week in New Hampshire

Default Just spent a week in New Hampshire

I just got back from a work-cation in New Hampshire. A good customer here on LI has a cabin up near the white mountains and had us do some work on it. I didn't have a lot of time to see the area, but I had enough to know I MUST go back. It was amazing.

We had to use an outhouse the entire week. It had a door, but it also had a window that was about 5'x4', so there was an excellent view out the side.

It was me, my dad (the boss), and a coworker. My coworker had never been in such a rural area and was getting freaked out by some of the night sounds. He didn't believe me that one sound was just a frog.

Had an excellent Pale Ale and Brown Ale brewed locally called Tuckermann's.

Best part about it all is I got permission to use the place whenever it's free. I just have to take care of some small things when I go up there if needed, which is fine by me. An easy 4 hour drive and I'm in the middle of nowhere with a couple of mountains that I have to see how the view is from the top.

Now off to DC this weekend... lol

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did you get to hike any of the whites? Everyone has to do the Presidential range and Mt. Washington.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Unfortunately no, I was there mainly to put a roof on and do some other things. We ended up getting the three hottest days I think NH has seen in a decade while trying to roof... lol.

But yeah, I am definitely going back there to take on some of those mountains. While driving up route 16 from Tamworth to Conway, there is this big rock faced edifice overlooking a lake. I almost went off the road staring at it, lost in thought about what that view must be like. Having a free place to stay with a kitchen will really make a real vacation up there dirt cheap. Just gotta find some friends who want to take on those mountains with me. Too many city boys around here who are afraid of dirt. That or I gotta find a special lady. Hiking up some mountain and pitching camp at the peak sounds like an awful good night to me, regardless of whether it's with the guys or someone special.

And the customer also is part owner of an absolutely magnificent place, aside from the cabin I was at. Hard to describe. I'm waiting on pictures to be emailed to me from my coworker. I didn't have a camera. I gotta get one before I go back.

Blog Entries

The Whites are a great hike but a real *ss kicker. Once above tree-line, nothing but ROCKS. In the presidential Range most people use the Huts to overnight at, there isn't any nice soft ground to pitch a tent on. There are though some platforms for putting tents on along the trail, but not many. If you use the Huts be sure to reserve a bunk, they do fill up. Dartmouth College operates the hut system, you get an evening meal and breakfast included. Prepare for BAD weather anytime of the year.
    "Just Get Out!"

Sounds like you've done the trails more than once up there. Thanks for the advice. Not sure exactly what the adventure will be, but I gotta go on one. It's been way too long since I've done anything like that. I just want to sit at the peak and watch the stars, even if it's a small mountain on the outskirts. The one I was looking at from the road is only 2-3k feet. I know Mt. Washington is like 6k. I live at about 50' above sea level so even the peak of a small mountain would be great.

Blog Entries

If you want to see Mt. Washington but rather not hike it, you have two other options; 1) there is a road to the top that you can take for a small fee (caution scary going up, even scarier going down), 2) the Cog-Train, a train that climbs the mountain using gear-type wheels on a cog track. They charge a fee for the train as well.

The whole area is nice and you'll have a great time no madder what you do.
    "Just Get Out!"