Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you drink all of the coffee you make?

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Do you drink all of the coffee you make?

I'm sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and I started to wonder how many people drink all the coffee they make. I'm not a cynosure of fine coffees, it doesn't take me ten minutes to order a cup of coffee in a coffee shop. I like a good cup of coffee like anyone else, but I've been known to stand a spoon up in a cup now and again.

I always finish the pot, even if it takes me all day. For example, I had to make a pot of coffee this morning using my camp coffee pot on a propane stove because the power was out. I'm now just finishing it. Taste good to me!

Do you finish the pot or do you like to have as fresh of a cup as possible?
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Both. I like a FRESH cup, as the oils are at their best then, but It's OK if it's old too. When I'm driving late at night, I'll actually ask for the oldest coffee they have on.... more caffeine.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

I was once asked why I was finishing off a pot of coffee late in the day. My reply was "It's 5:00 AM somewhere, and there's bound to be sleepy people in China."
    You start it, you gotta finish it.

Blog Entries

I only make a cup at a time, I like my Coffee super fresh and spoonmeltingly strong. Old strong coffee... bleughh!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I love mine strong, but has to be fresh. I use a small coffee pot. Anything over 1/2 hour old and I won't drink it.

Short answer, I always finish all the coffee, but use a small pot to make sure there is no waste
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I make a 5-cup pot of coffee daily which provides me with 2 16-ounce cups: one before I leave the house and one for the road.

Years ago I switched to a carafe style coffee maker for the home. This way it does not sit on the burner. It stays hot a long time - tastes fresh - can be easily microwaved if it cools down too much. With the price of coffee nowadays, very little goes to waste.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I drink just one cup of coffee and that's in the morning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I only make a cup at a time, I like my Coffee super fresh and spoonmeltingly strong. Old strong coffee... bleughh!
    +1!
    I only have one big cup of strong coffee in the morning and it has to be perfect. Just the right combo of coffee, sugar & vanilla half and half.
    Of course I can drink pretty much any kind of coffee (going without it would be a disaster) but the way I make it is ideal for me.

Sugar and vanilla half and half? I have this friend up north that likes vanilla creamer. I should introduce you to him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

we don't always finish all our coffee. Once it gets hot.. like around 8 a.m., coffee is turned off for iced tea or cold water. In winter, it's a different story. I can drink it all day if I'm not terribly busy. But either way, it can't be more than about an hour old or it starts tasting like it was filtered using yesterdays work socks. No thanks! Get it while it's fresh, or throw it out. Burnt coffee is gross, and that's coming from a guy who plays with dead animals!!
    When camping, we don't fix as much coffee at a time, so it all gets drank up.

Yeah - I cut back on coffee while camping as well. I'll only make 4 or 5 pots (before lunch).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Of course I can drink pretty much any kind of coffee (going without it would be a disaster) but the way I make it is ideal for me.
    A slightly humorous story relating to Coffee while I was in the Army....
    We had found ourselves a REALLY hard to find spot on a field exercise. Took the First Sergeant 3 days to actually find us, We "Survived" on stuff we had and foraged. When they DID find us, it was 3 days with NO Coffee After they DID find us. I asked the First Sergeant about it(Coffee) and he said the Mess Hall hadn't sent any out. I told him, "First Sergeant if they don't send us some Coffee tomorrow,I'm going to have to turn in my two weeks notice." He sorta' chuckled(He was a coffee fanatic too), and left. The next morning though we had coffee!
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

I like my coffee as fresh as may be, and of course I enjoy the first cup, but I find that not leaving the burner on longer than need be helps a lot. Generally this means turning it off after I pour my first or second cup. I have known a lot of people who will make an entire pot wether it is necessary or not, and leave the burner on as long as there is any left in the pot. I never saw the point, as it seems wasteful on two fronts. I generally make 1/3 to 1/2 of a pot - more if I'm expecting company - because that is what I expect to make. Otherwise, if I need more, I'll just do it again. I wouldn't make a 4qt pot of oatmeal every morning just because that's how big the pot is either.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I Make about 3 to 4 Pots Before I Leave for work and Drink It All. My Wife May Get 2 to 3 Cups Out of The Pots. And I Also Make Ice Coffee Been Making It Since way Before it Got Fancy. So Yep I Drink it All. I Can Drink Coffee All Day and Night and Fall asleep With No Problems.
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Blech. No. Luckily, I've pretty much got the formula down for brewing just a two cup pot. So there is little, if any, waste.

If I brew up a whole pot, and for some reason, a lot of it is left, I'll sometimes keep the remainder to make kahlua.

Don't drink coffee much these days but I usually brew up a pot of tea or two and finish them off even if its the next day.
    I know what hunts you.

At the ranch when were out with the wagon the cook keeps two pots on and you've heard of cowboy coffee, This is the best.
    Here at home I make a pot in the morning and kick it off though out the day also. Got to be strong and black. YEPPER..

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I drink coffee all day and night as well but when it's time to sleep, the coffee is not the problem. I think...
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Don't drink coffee...AT ALL! Can't stand the taste; can't stand the smell! Don't make it, brew it, or any of that! I'm a tea drinker. I take three quarts of water, toss in a large tea-bag that is made for a gallon of tea, then boil it until I get as much caffeine out of it I can. I add two cups of sugar to it and stir until dissolved; then I fill Nalgene bottles all the way up to the top with ice cubes and pour enough of the concentrated mixture right up to the top! My wife and son drink coffee and my wife said that as strong as I make my tea I should like the taste of Coffee, but I don't. WARNING: If caffeine keeps your blood pumping and you have a history of heart trouble, Drink sparingly. If you want a good nights sleep then refrain from drinking after 5 PM...and don't spill any on the cat, especially if it's still hot!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin