Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knot Tying!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Back when I was an assistant SM I taught the Tenderfoot Scouts their knots. One of the ones we liked was the Bowline:

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline...matedknots.com

This actually is a knot & loop combination which, when tied correctly and used properly can save lives.
    Yes, the Bowline is one of the very first knots the Scouts learn. It's also taught to all wilderness guides, river guides, lifeguards, and outdoor leaders of all types.
    The animated knot site is a great leaning tool as well. www.animatedknots.com
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-25-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: link
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Figure-Eight Knot

The Figure-Eight Knot is a stopper knot.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

"Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

you've done the eight, and the loop of eight on a bight, i suppose the next logical demonstration would be a re-woven eight.

i've got a lot of knots (and hitches, and bends) in mind, so i'll try to break out my camera shortly too, but i can't make any promises.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

The reason the bowline is taught is that it is extremely easy to tie and will hold it's shape rather well. With practice, it can be tied in a couple of seconds or with one hand, hence it's value as a rescue knot. The figure eight is more reliable when it comes to holding it's shape though, the bowline can slip under certain conditions. I've actually changed over from the bowline to the figure eight for putting small loops in the end of the ropes we use to tie stuff off on the truck.

If you're tying stuff on the truck then why not use the trucker's hitch

http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php

or the Midshipman's hitch (aka taughtline hitch)?

http://www.animatedscoutknots.com/tautline_hitch.html

Both are safe and secure. The taughtline is the easiest of the adjustable knots to tie and one I use it to tie down tents.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

Love those "animated knot" sites!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Easy-Tie Butterfly with Emergency/Survival Application

This is a quick demonstration of a simple method to tie the Alpine Butterfly knot -- also known as the Butterfly Loop and the Lineman Loop. There is also a brief discussion of a useful, emergency/survival application for this knot. There are also short explanations of Minimum Breaking Strength vs. Safe Working Load for ropes, and knot efficiency.

I hope one or two folks find this useful...

I found it very useful. Learned a new knot today and an easy way to tie it. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Since you should have a bandanna in you kit anyway....this is a good one to have....

Can be had from most BSA stores.

Good stuff guys.....keep'em coming....
    BTW Rick has those knot bandanas at Safe Zone as well......

http://www.safezonellc.com/knots.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

wow, forgot about this thread...

Rick, both those are good knots, but with racks and such on the truck, its really easy to have ropes with permanent loops tied into them which just get tossed over the load, ran back through the loop (for the mechanical tightening of the highway man's knot) and then secured with a couple of simple over hands tied around the racks. Works for lighter loads and for larger items we do have straps. No need for any kind of hook or anything other than the racks that the material or equipment sits on anyway.

I know other knots to accomplish any goal I need, but I do like the highway man's. Gotta commit that to memory.

Great illustrations! Thanks! This is the kind of stuff I love to learn!

I love knots and knot tying. Such a great way to keep your mind sharp and your hands useful. I started carrying a two foot long piece of cord with me when I was a patrol leader a long time ago just to have something to "do" when we were sitting around. Then later when I became a scoutmaster I would make a point of "challenging" the guys to see who could tie a knot the quickest and still have it be "dressed and correct" Whoever won got a big round of applause and a ice cream sandwich. On some Monday nights I would just randomly do a "Be prepared" challenge to If they had a water proof match case, a pocket knife and their piece of cord. If they did they got a hand carved Neckerchief slide. When they got really good at tying knots I would have them work together one using his right hand and the other using his left hand to team tie knots. I still have men come up to me and laugh about those drills.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 07-24-2013 at 12:30 AM.