Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: question about nettles

  1. #21
    Junior Member bushrat82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    22

    Default

    The knowledge I had growing up was that nettles were ok once dried and then used as a garnish to give an onion like taste. That's the only way I ever used them. Some recent information published by an SAS survival instructor cautions against eating them without boiling a bit first because of toxins in the raw plant.


  2. #22
    Junior Member bushrat82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo Lone Wolf View Post
    I have heard that eating poison ivy makes you immune....not sure about nettles but I do not want to try the poison ivy option.

    Lobo
    We had an old Texas country boy in my unit who told one of his troops the same thing while we were out doing field training. Within a few days the kid was covered from head to toe with the ivy rash. I'd never seen anything like it. The kid did make a full recovery after a few weeks but did his best to avoid poison ivy.

  3. #23
    Super Moderater RangerXanatos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northeast, Georgia
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    I watched a Ray Mears episode on his Wild Foods series. Him and his friend made the nettles (or something similar) edible by just sticking them in the fire for a few seconds. They didn't need to boil them or anything.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •