Thread: opuntia,nopales,prickly pear questions

Default opuntia,nopales,prickly pear questions

so i bought one at my local garden center and i know ive seen it talked about on here before so i was wondering if anyone has any tips for growing it. like where, wateringtips, fertilizing, will it flower in my climate. Any adivice will help alot thank you.

Toughest dang plant ever invented. I had that stuff for probably 20 years and never did anything to it. It goes dormant over the winter. It will shrivel up and turn brown and you'd swear it was dead as a door knob but it comes right back out in the spring. Drop a piece on the ground anywhere and the little needles become roots where ever it touches the ground. It's the zombie of the cactus world.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

x2 what Rick said. Don't over water it. It likes poor, well-drained soil. Ignore it, and it will thrive.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Let it go to seed a few years and it'll take over. Wear gloves.

Hoo boy howdy. Gloves indeed. Those tiny little hair needles will get you if you walk within 20 feet of it. And they are the dickens to get out of your skin.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.