Thread: First Time Range Time

Default First Time Range Time

I just got back from the range. Two of my grand kids spent about an hour and a half with a Ruger single six loaded with subsonics. It was their first time shooting and both had a good and safe time. Two more go tomorrow.

We've spent several months memorizing safety rules and leaning about various guns (wheel vs auto, etc.). I told them if they learned the safety rules by heart I would take them to the range. My eight year old grand daughter did a pretty decent job of handling the weapon on her own. Her five year old brother needed lot's of help and oversight but had fun none-the-less. He would rather have something in full auto.

I'm happy to report that no clay pigeons were injured in the making of this afternoon.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When we visit the kids on the farm in NM, I always go out back to shoot (the right way) with the grandsons (11 & 9) and those are some of my most cherished moments. They have their own guns and can use them when thier Papa or Pop-Pop (me) are present; no one else.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Thats the way to go, learn the young ones the right way. That way there is no mystery. Besides it is fun watching them Good time for all.
    Now go and have an adult beverage to soothe your nerves
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

It was complete with pre-requisite ice cream for the post-range celebration.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Great job! start 'em young. The world needs more grand paws like you.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Well done Gramps.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It was complete with pre-requisite ice cream for the post-range celebration.
    I assume you had the permission of Mom and Grandmom? Or do you follow the same path I do, better to ask for forgiveness (constantly) than to ask for permission (that is for wimps )
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

No, I had permission. In fact, mom (my daughter) went with us. I talked to parents last fall about working with the kids toward gun safety and they were all for it. Since we're in a suburban area you never know when a kid is apt to find a weapon whether it is at a friend's house or some place else and the kids need to understand how to deal with a situation like that. There's no guarantees but knowledge is power so hopefully the rules and the practice reinforce a respect for weapons as opposed to a fear of them.

My daughter worked with .38 special at the range as well. Clay pigeons were injured in that endeavor.

That makes it even sweeter, Mom is onboard. Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    That makes it even sweeter, Mom is onboard. Good deal
    Yeah, no dirty looks and you don't have to listen to that ear splitting "YOU DID WHAT?".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Start 'em young and proper. Well done Rick.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

My wife had an abnormal fear of weapons. Has had for years. I'm not certain where that came from but it was there. So we talked about them and I tore a few down for her. See? Just metal and polymer and "stuff". Started her on .22 subsonic and gradually moved up to the .38 she now carries. I think weapons are a lot like anything else. You fear what you don't understand. Once you have an understanding of the subject then that fear subsides. I think we see other people that way, too.

Sometimes I almost wish it was a mandatory thing for kids to learn about firearms. Remove the mystery.
    You're a good grandpa Rick.

Rick, My little one is 8, she has her Red Rider, down pat and she also knows alot about Dad's guns. She is growing up too fast. I was 9 when I got my first Remington.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Kids went with us from a young age, taught them the basics with the BB guns then on to the .22's and finally the bigger stuff, both son and daughter.

It became a way of life, particularly the safety rules.

Hunter safety was a breese for both as they had practiced from day one.

They injoyed it then as now.

Way to go Gramps!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My wife had an abnormal fear of weapons. Has had for years. I'm not certain where that came from but it was there. So we talked about them and I tore a few down for her. See? Just metal and polymer and "stuff". Started her on .22 subsonic and gradually moved up to the .38 she now carries. I think weapons are a lot like anything else. You fear what you don't understand. Once you have an understanding of the subject then that fear subsides. I think we see other people that way, too.
    So, if I'd just butcher one of those scary clowns......

LOL...Good job Rick. You're one of the good ones.
    (Grandpa's, not scary clowns) LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Back in from two more. This time a nine year old grand son and his eight year old sister. She's a petite gal but outlasted her brother and wound up being the best shot of the three older ones. It's all she can do to break the hammer back on the Single Six but she's in there popping clays.

Are you about done? I finally asked her.

There's still targets aren't there?

Hard to argue with that logic. Fortunately, I hadn't told her about the case of clays in the car. Anywhooo, two more boxes of subsonics later all the clays were dead and much ground had been plowed. It was off to a late lunch and a mandatory ice cream.

WOW,, that young lady will be a keeper I like her attitude. Ol Gramps seems to have a good couple days

In no time at all they'll be tossing tomahawks at those targets that you have tucked away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Every young-in should shoot, throw hawks and knives as soon as they can stand upand hold the weapon.....If they want to try, forcing the issue doesn't work.
    Good job, Gramps.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27