Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawdads

Default Crawdads

They are in for it, boy howdy!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The plan is to put some kippers in cheesecloth, tied to a string. When they latch on, yoink 'em on up.

Bacon tied with string is simpler and probably more effective. But we only have delicious local bacon in stock. No way am I wasting that on some mudbugs!

Instead, I found this can of hot tomato sauce kippers in the back of the pantry. I hope they like it spicy!

I used to have a nice trap. But I set it up one weekend, while camping, and someone stole it. I never caught anything with it anyway.
    Last edited by grrlscout; 07-22-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Wait! You are using Kippers for bait?! Have you no shame? Oh, the humanity.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In my book, bacon trumps herring any day!

it's not an either/or. You don't have to use either one. I repeat myself. Oh, the humanity.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cheapo hot dogs piees work well......but don't waste the kippers....or the bacon.
    Now, if it was vienna sausages....have at......OD on these years ago, so would make good bait.
    Good fishing!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, yeah, weiners. That's the ticket. It's not like crawdads are connoisewers (get it connoisseur, creeks, connoi sewers? I slay myself.)

I gots nothin' else. Plus, that can has been sitting in the pantry for months. I can always get more - cheap - at Grocery Outlet.

Wait. I have some boudin in the fridge. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Herring good! Net fishing not very efficient. Get you a minnow style trap!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Forget about the crawdads. By the time you have cleaned then there isn't much left.

It's more for entertainment than anything.

Crawdad=shrimp. I always used chicken bones as a kid. Chicken necks are dirt cheap.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We just dip-net them. no bait. But we don't eat them either. They live in roadside ditches that collect runoff from fields (and God knows where else..). We use them to catch bass which trumps bacon and kippers any day.. unless you're gonna wrap the bacon and kippers around the bass!!
    One of my favorite places to get crawdads was by some woods not far from here.. but the woods got knocked down last year and we haven't had enough rain to fill any ditches. There are places where Spring Creek isn't even running water anymore. Those pools would be great places to get crawfish, but then you'd have to walk a LONG way to get to the fishes. I'm seeing the compound effects of massive farming initiatives cause major changes in our ecosystems. Before there were 10 center-pivot irrigations per square mile with 6" wells, the creeks rarely ever got this low. Several people have had to put in deeper wells this year as the water table has dropped that far.
    Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

I've never used bait to catch crawdads. just speed and a net. I've caught them several times while fishing using the same dip net I use in the ditches. they like to gather up in eddies and shallows where the water is running, but not too swift. Been going to try to make one of those nifty traps, but just haven't had time this year to even think about it. If you're trying to get them out of the holes they live in, you can just stick any small stick or piece of fishing line.. literally anything.. in the hole, and when they grab hold, give a good yank. Those are usually the eating size ones.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

If those sardines have been in your pantry that long, go for it... Not a fan of sardines myself... Was one my uncles hangover foods(foulest smell ever, beer, puke and sardines).. Bait sounds pretty good !! Let us know how it works for you ??

You guys are ruining crawdads for me. I always got them out of mountain streams. clean and yummy
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    We just dip-net them. no bait. But we don't eat them either. They live in roadside ditches that collect runoff from fields (and God knows where else..). We use them to catch bass which trumps bacon and kippers any day.. unless you're gonna wrap the bacon and kippers around the bass!!
    One of my favorite places to get crawdads was by some woods not far from here.. but the woods got knocked down last year and we haven't had enough rain to fill any ditches. There are places where Spring Creek isn't even running water anymore. Those pools would be great places to get crawfish, but then you'd have to walk a LONG way to get to the fishes. I'm seeing the compound effects of massive farming initiatives cause major changes in our ecosystems. Before there were 10 center-pivot irrigations per square mile with 6" wells, the creeks rarely ever got this low. Several people have had to put in deeper wells this year as the water table has dropped that far.
    Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

I've never used bait to catch crawdads. just speed and a net. I've caught them several times while fishing using the same dip net I use in the ditches. they like to gather up in eddies and shallows where the water is running, but not too swift. Been going to try to make one of those nifty traps, but just haven't had time this year to even think about it. If you're trying to get them out of the holes they live in, you can just stick any small stick or piece of fishing line.. literally anything.. in the hole, and when they grab hold, give a good yank. Those are usually the eating size ones.
    YCC, I am seeing the same problem in my neck of the woods. I am pretty sure my well is starving for water. Old farmer up the road just put in a deep well. Please let it rain!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdad View Post
    If those sardines have been in your pantry that long, go for it... Not a fan of sardines myself... Was one my uncles hangover foods(foulest smell ever, beer, puke and sardines).. Bait sounds pretty good !! Let us know how it works for you ??
    Yeah, if it's sardines, go for it....But kippers are another story.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I just go down to the river and start grabbing up the weeds on the edge by bunches and pick them out. I didn't even realize you could use bait and fish for them!

Down home, all that most people use them for is fishing bait. However I DID get turned around in the woods one time and used them for a meal. Fairly good eating in a pinch. I just skewered 'em on a stick like a hot dog and held 'em over the fire for a bit to kill any parasites and such.

Down home folks make a Loooong handled Dip net. They weld a box type frame and attach hardware cloth, adding a handle. Handles are about 7'-10' usually. A quick dip and dump on the bank, collecting crayfish/crawfish/crawdads of all sizes. In a good spot you can have enough for a good sized meal or a 2 day fishing trip in @ 30 minutes or so.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    Fairly good eating in a pinch.
    Get it? Bud bugs? Pinch? He slays himself.