Thread: Gator Hater Sheath (wet forming and saddle stitching) WIP

Default Gator Hater Sheath (wet forming and saddle stitching) WIP

I have been working on the sheath made from a very old saddle fender. It is thick leather at about .187" thick. I am having a time trying the saddle stitch , I keep breaking needles (cheap). The wet forming is going well. Figured the gator was too big for belt carry most of the time, but will go great attached to my saddle. I'll take pointers on the stitching, I tried using paracord inner strands, waxed cotton twine, finally attached the beltloop shown with some braided fishin' line from the 50's off of a collector rod and reel I ave displayed on the wall. Guess you could say I meant to get this sewn no matter what.....Yes I will be using a welt (not shown).

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I mark and drill my holes in a drill press for stitching. I've used a stitching punch in the past, but drilling the holes, especially in thick leather makes it very easy. Stick with waxed string/thread if you can. It will be less likely to come undone. Some waxed string/thread can get pricey, but I'm using a roll of waxed cable lacing string - much cheaper.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I mark and drill my holes in a drill press for stitching. I've used a stitching punch in the past, but drilling the holes, especially in thick leather makes it very easy. Stick with waxed string/thread if you can. It will be less likely to come undone. Some waxed string/thread can get pricey, but I'm using a roll of waxed cable lacing string - much cheaper.
    Thanks for the tips Crash, I waxed the braided line with canning wax (left that out) I may hold out and buy some waxed line of some sort though. Do you have more info on aquiring " waxed cable lacing string" ? never heard of it.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

It's also known as AT&T lacing. If you've never used it be careful when pulling it taught. It will land in the crease of a finger and cut you before you know it. The stuff is tough as titanium.

http://www.telephonetools.net/produc...products_id=49
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Waxed dental floss works as well.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

You Can Find Waxed and Unwaxed Thred At Any Craft Store I Just got Some from Hobby Lobby a Few Weeks Back
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

For a "homemade" look use the artifical sinew from Tandy's If a store is not near you. you can order on line. As for drilling holes I use my dremel. I pre-locate the holes and mark them with an ice pick, before drilling.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../3609-165.aspx
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Waxed dental floss works as well.
    Thanks for the tip Winter, I picked up some yesterday. I live a good ways from any Hobby Lobby or such. One reason I often make use of what is at hand. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have used waxed bow string. The black color adds to it, I think. I also drill my holes with a drill press, then thread with the needle and pliers.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well, this one kept me busy awhile. I used a cordless drill for the holes. I used dental floss on the pouch and artificial senew on the sheath. I even installed my first snaps! I need an idea for the firesteel lanyard yet but it is mostly finished. I also plan to add a leg tie, but mostly figure on carrying it on my saddle it is huge! Thanks for the sewing tips ladies!

Nice job. It came out great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

http://www.3riversarchery.com/String...X_product.html

http://www.brownellarchery.com/2011color.pdf

Here are a few references for waxed bowstring. The second link has a color chart.
    looks nice BTW.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice job. It came out great.
    Thanks Crash, I will be making'em smaller for awhile!

Very cool, nice work!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Thanks Sparky! It was a job but is rewarding that it'll last a long time. Just melted in the Sno-Seal.

Brother, that is one fine piece of work. You should be mighty proud. Some day your daughter will say, "My dad made this."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Brother, that is one fine piece of work. You should be mighty proud. Some day your daughter will say, "My dad made this."
    It looks like she will be saying that alot. Thanks Rick.

Lookin' Good!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Lookin' Good!
    Thanks Rebel! I am glad it is finally finished, now I can get back to some of the other projects.