Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romanian PSL Sniper Rifle

Default Romanian PSL Sniper Rifle

I've had a bug for a while wanting a PSL. I'm not enthralled that it's a sniper rifle or enhanced unit weapon or whatever it was really designed for. What I like about it is the semi auto 7.62X54. This is a particularly long and heavy weapon but there are not a lot of choices in that caliber and semi auto. So here's the question.

Does anyone own or know the quality of this weapon?

http://www.classicarms.us/

Scan down to second pic.

I could probably put $800.00 + a bit more in a good used Garand or something similar but I really like the 7.62X54 and there's just nothing out there in my price range that shoots it in semi auto. $2000 or $3000 for an SVT-40 is out of my price range. Well, not mine but my wife's and I have to live here.

I know there are better cartridges out there but I hate to invest in "one more caliber" when I have so much of a really good cartridge. I have a lot of it. It's cheap you know.

So what say you? Worth the money?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OMG I LOOKED........So that would be cool (NO)....but it's would be really cool (NO)...got a lot of the 7.62 X54r ammo (NO)

Sorry Rick, can't help you out right now, arguing with myself...Cool?NO....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Cheaper price w/scope included.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=115817

I put different furniture on mine,Thanks,Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
    Cheaper price w/scope included.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=115817

I put different furniture on mine,Thanks,Bob
    Says "out of stock".

Call them,they will get more,also,

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

Thanks for the sites

I don't see anything wrong with one. Don't expect "sniper" rifle accuracy. It's more like a russian FAL or M14.

Are mags cheap?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Looks like 10 round mags are around $40. No, they are not cheap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When you get the bug, there is no point trying to resist.

Soooooooo - when you ordering?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Actually, there was one on the link that bobzilla posted that I like a little better. Less expensive, too. I'm sweating as I write this. If I was just sweating bullets life would be perfect. Thanks BZ!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct938.aspx

My favorite variant is the SKS,ATI SKS 8000 furniture,SGM 75 round magazine, w/scope,they are far more accurate than the AK.

This is a picture of the SKS w/o magaine:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=114202

Magazine:

http://www.sgmtactical.com/catalog/i...2bfa3d859f7e14

Less than 500$?

This is the best bang for the buck battle rifle,75 rounds,24" barrel,and cheap ammo.
    Guns are a weakness for me,go ahead and buy one Rick,whatever your choice,it's too late,the fever will not go away!
    Last edited by bobzilla; 07-20-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Well, it turns out almost no one has it in stock and no one bothers to update their web site. What's up with that? It you don't have it say so up front and don't waste my time. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh.

I pulled the trigger, bit the bullet and ordered one from Classic Arms. I have no doubts this weapon will shoot far better than I can but it's gonna be fun finding out.

The $40 mags would have been the dealbreaker for me. Looking forward to the range report Rick.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

bob, That SKS is a 7.62 X 39 rather than a 7.62 X54r correct?

Yes,it's the x39,Sorry ,Rick,Able Ammo usually sends me a Back Order date and time frame.
    They are a great gun for the money,and I think you will be happy with it,they are like a Mosin,hard hitting and tough,form,fit,and finish are simple and less refined,but functionality is up there with the best.
    Sorry about the SKS mix up,but I love mine and it is my go to gun at the cabin,it is inside the door and get's used on coyotes and noises in the middle of the night.
    Thanks,Bob

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, it turns out almost no one has it in stock and no one bothers to update their web site. What's up with that? It you don't have it say so up front and don't waste my time. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh.

I pulled the trigger, bit the bullet and ordered one from Classic Arms. I have no doubts this weapon will shoot far better than I can but it's gonna be fun finding out.
    Rick, as a person only one state away, and having access to surplus ammo without a shipping cost. I am going to volunteer as a field test assistant for this project.

As soon as this heat wave is over!

I will cover my own travel expense, bring a spam can of 7.62x54r and offer a fresh shoulder to replace the bruised one you are now using.

When I was in the Army there was a $1,000,000 reward for the person that could provide the first working example of the Dragunov. They were being used by two man Soviet sniper teams and were never turned over to the NVA or VC. It was not until the Soviet/Afgan war that the U.S. government got their hands on one of these rifles and found it was not the wonder weapon they had anticipated.

The PSL is one of the mythological weapons of my youth. It was like Author's Excaliber or a German King Tiger tank. I spent a full year wondering if someone was looking at me through one of those Russian scopes.

The soviets had done the same thing with the AK and we did not know exactly what it was between 1947 and 1956.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

See? I always knew there was something about you I liked. Not many would volunteer on such a dangerous mission. Why, just crossing the river into Indiana is enough to make a person dizzy. You'll be pleased to know that I am putting a butt pad on it. Buying military surplus or surplus like weapon should be proof enough that a guy has some gears slipping but I'm not so long gone that I would intentionally do myself harm by putting that thing against my shoulder and pulling the trigger. Not without something to cushion the blow.

Yes, I bought the danged variable scope, too. Cheap stuff just has my name written all over it.

BZ - I know you'll be pleased as punch to learn that I found mags that were much cheaper. $37.25 (hangs head). But!!! They came with the pouch! I got a package deal! That should account for something. Right? Yes, my name is on expensive stuff, too, it seems.

Now I have to find a bipod, camo rag, oh, yeah, gillie suit. Gotta have that. Drag bag, flip up scope covers, cleaning kit, spare cleaning rod, scope cover, bayonet.......Is there no end?

Okay, guys. Listen up. Girls, go read a book or something. Time for man talk. You guys will be so proud of me.

My anniversary is a couple of weeks away.

My wife says wouldn't you like to go away for the week-end.

I said, sure. I was sort of thinking we might buy his and hers rifles and go to the range that day but, yeah, going away for the week-end is good. (weird look from wife).

She says I don't need a rifle. I have a weapon that's all I want.

I said, Oh, yeah. But I was thinkin' a pink rifle for you. (another weird look)

She says, ARE YOUR READY FOR THIS? WAIT. IT'S COMING..........You can buy one for you if you want but I don't want one. (weird look from me)

Is that just the best or what?! You gotta love a woman like that. I didn't even have to ask!!!!!

Yeah, sometime it just isn't worth it to poke the crazy guy.....just don't make eye contact and keep moving.
    Sounds like she has you figured out...LOL, you just don't know it yet....LOL
    Happy anniversary....

I love the way they often make it sound like it was their idea. We get giddy for awhile, and then realize there is no use in disagreeing when the conversation starts "Since you got that (rifle, pistol, knife, backpack, stove, flashlight, tent, canteen, lantern, etc.), I think I should get......"
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel