Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you changed your opinion on any firearm because of a forum?

Default Have you changed your opinion on any firearm because of a forum?

I see a lot of threads on what kind of whatever firearm for this and for that, all cool stuff as a lot of makes and models I had never heard about, seen or even knew existed.

But then it gets down to it, seems everyone has a favorite or favorites and all the pic's and comments don't seem to change anyone mind much.

Personal example:
    I have to say my opinion on old Mil surplus, Nagants, Mauser's and such, had always been, why waste your money on these old vets, when you could double the cost and end up with a very nice hunting rifle...decked out.

So I guess my opinion has changed in the respect I was losing out on the fun factor, and got "Bit" by the bug. Got thank y'all for that.
    So has any comments changed your mind on anything?

Personal experience is a good thing when asking a question, but don't hear a lot of negative comments on any thing?
    So just makes me curious if your choices are valid to start with, or just don't want to admit you made a mistake and were disappointed in a new addition.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes. I was interested in a Saiga 12ga shottie.

After reading a few reviews. it's not what I believed it could be.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I guess I don't own any mistakes. They all fill a special place or niche that is perfect for me. 1. Must have everyone has one. 2. Need one looks cool. 3. Need one more like the other one(s). 4. Bought the ammo might as well get the weapon. 5. Extra money coming in and nothing to spend it on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's never changed my opinion on anything I actually own but it has influenced my decisions before buying something new. Finding out about common problems or downfalls is pretty handy. I also don't know anyone personally that reloads and that has opened my eyes to the versatility of rifles in calibers that I previously didn't have a use for.

Although I was very surprised when I learned on a forum that 30-30 no longer useful for deer hunting
    Last edited by shiftyer1; 07-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I saw a psych research thing the other night that showed that once a person buys/owns something its worth increases in his mind immidiately. "My stuff has to be the best stuff!" type mentality. I have seen this many times when people try to sell a firearm or anything else for way more than standard value because their stuff is an investment and you always make money on an investment.

It is therefore against the normal course of events to admit that what you have is not what you thought it would be or expected. That would indicate a short-comming on your part. It is easier to justify a mistake than to admit you made a mistake.

That being said, I do have a couple of less than wise investments I need to make a minimal profit on.

OK, I would settle for breaking even!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I can say the forum has made me a bit more open minded. Still nothing better than a 1911, but I do now feel that those Glock things are actually firearms and can be used in adult company. That is a huge change for those that know me
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I don't have enough to have made that 'mistake purchase' yet.
    Shooting anything is still fun to me. I haven't developed a "like" or "dislike" list yet and I'm sure my opinion isn't going to sway any die-hard.

I asked about what .22 rifle and bought the Marlin Model 60 over the Ruger 10/22 because of recommendations on this forums. Real happy with that gun.

I was frustrated with all the "choices" for a AR. Saw a post here about the Rock River Elite Operator2 and what a deal it was. It was definitely a deal. Its a real good gun and got my feet wet. But, the dang thing has three sling attachment points hanging off of the Gas block/front sight assembly. Why?

As for caliber, I started out a 1911, .357 Mag fan and realized the trade offs.

I don't see as my opinion on any weapons has changed, but my exposure to some that I was not familiar with has increased. When I first joined, there was quite a few discussions on Enfield's. Got one because of those discussions. I guess the same could be said for Glocks. As much ribbing as I may have given Glock Cop, I never had a bad opinion about them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I can say the forum has made me a bit more open minded. Still nothing better than a 1911, but I do now feel that those Glock things are actually firearms and can be used in adult company. That is a huge change for those that know me
    I have traded all my 1911 variants for Glocks. Oh, it's not April 1st. Sorry GC.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I have posted reviews on the Circuit Judge, and could afford to be objective as I won it with a $10 buck raffle ticket,: Results, cool, but not real pratical....for me.
    I had this opinion prior to my trials, just with my experiences with the .410/.45 colt.....but seems a lot of people still think that a .410 hand gun is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I got into the Nagants rather reluctantly, after a bad experiance with a 8mm Mauser a lot of years ago.....So I guess I was swayed to see what all the hoopla was about, by the glowing reports of a cheap super rifle.
    But then again at about $100 bucks a throw, couldn't really go wrong, if it goes bang.

Jury is still out on tact stuff.....cool, but with so many makes models, calibers and such....haven't found the need to spend the bucks for many "non-hunting guns"
    Not paranoid enough, or needing to be tact-cool, I guess....not saying there isn't a few around, I just don't have an opinion on "The best auto loader/tact-cool combo".
    Nephew got a Glock (not real sure what model) in .45 acp, some years back, and I guess I kinda questioned it as it's not a legal hunting load, and more expensive to shoot (for protection and fun), then a 9mm.....But he likes it, so that cool with me.

Did back off on a pistol-grip 12 ga/after shooting one a friend had w/3" 00 Buck, but found that for me, was hard on the wrists...........But judging by the comments and discussion here and other places, I guessing there is a lot out there.

I just good to hear about others experiances (real ones), but most of my opinions are fored long before I plunk down the bucks.....raffels being the exception, LOL

I was suppried to learn that the 30-30 was useless for white-tail deer as well, and the "best hunting rifle" was the most obscure, custom, one of a kind, fire formed brass case, loaded with magic bullets.

Maybe thats why I don't own a 30-30 anything........
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-19-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: splin'

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I know, I know the 1911 is still king of the roost in your mind but glad to see you have seen the power of the dark side. Hang onto that old slab sides. She's a real good girl. I know mine ain't goin' nowhere.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    I have traded all my 1911 variants for Glocks. Oh, it's not April 1st. Sorry GC.
    I know you love that G23 of yours, just admit it . If you ever want to get rid of those oldies, I always have room in my safe. Naw, hold on to them. They're too darn good to let go!

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't see as my opinion on any weapons has changed, but my exposure to some that I was not familiar with has increased. When I first joined, there was quite a few discussions on Enfield's. Got one because of those discussions. I guess the same could be said for Glocks. As much ribbing as I may have given Glock Cop, I never had a bad opinion about them.
    That G19 was a great choice by the way. Beware, if you get bit by the Glock bug, it can get expensive quick .

Hunter63, I have not changed my opinion on any firearm because of what someone else thinks. But I have avoided bad purchases on ''new to the market'' models by waiting till the bugs get worked out. I never, never, never, buy a brand new model anything. I let other people be the ''test and evaluation'' team. Long story short: other's opinions don't influence my choices but real documented problems and recalls certainly do.

Oh yea; I wanted a British 303 really bad. The information on the forums stated it was GTG. I zoomed out and purchased one. Since I relaod I slugged the barrel and found out that I had a .316 instead of a .313 barrel.

I purchased a book on the British .303 and found that they had barrels of .308 through .318 bore size. (war time production)

I couldn't get it to shoot any groups that I liked so It was my loss. I'll pass one up everytime now.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Oh yea; I wanted a British 303 really bad. The information on the forums stated it was GTG. I zoomed out and purchased one. Since I relaod I slugged the barrel and found out that I had a .316 instead of a .313 barrel.

I purchased a book on the British .303 and found that they had barrels of .308 through .318 bore size. (war time production)

I couldn't get it to shoot any groups that I liked so It was my loss. I'll pass one up everytime now.

I know what you mean, and if my caliper is correct....my m38 Nagant is egg-shaped .308 to .312.

I had always thought that the .303 British were considered a "magic rifle" capable of killing any animal on the planet, DRT..... at least 3000 meters.
    (Ever notice when some one trys to impress all us poor smucks in cyber space....they always refer to meters instead of yards......)

Never on gun choices, but for gun accessories, yes.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Glockcop, what is your opinion of a Glock-rebuilt 19 that was PD issue?
    Been admiring one for a bit but the price was too high for me (at the moment, consignment).
    We can only buy 'used' Glocks here so am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Glockcop, what is your opinion of a Glock-rebuilt 19 that was PD issue?
    Been admiring one for a bit but the price was too high for me (at the moment, consignment).
    We can only buy 'used' Glocks here so am curious.
    Glocks have an extreeeeeeemly long service life that other makers envy. I've never seen a worn out Glock. I have seen some other makes that needed MAJOR help after HIGH rounds counts, but never a Glock. As far as I go, a refurbished department Glock is as good or better than a "new" anything. You have nothing to loose if you can deal with the asking price.
    Last edited by glockcop; 07-24-2011 at 12:58 AM.