Thread: "Foolproof Four"

Default "Foolproof Four"

Here are some pic's of the safest and most highly prized shrooms, the foolproof four (morels, oysters, boletes and chanterelles) Th photo's of the Chanties and Morels are mine, the others I borrowed
    AugChanty.jpgbig boy.jpgOyster.jpgBoletusEdulis.jpg

Of course all four families or better yet, genera of mushrooms contain toxic or inedible look-a-likes/ relatives. Especially to the untrained eye. I'm a huge mycophile, but don't believe there is such a thing as a foolproof anything, especially in this day and age.

Boletes are an extremely diverse bunch o' shrooms and there are toxic species within. there are however safe rules for bolete eating without having to identify to exact species, but even those rules have been brought into question lately.

I only eat what I know, morels, morels, morels. Shrooms just seem to hard to identify for me, and I know nothing about them. Anything other than a morel scares me.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Boletes are probably the safer mushroom, avoiding blue stainer's and red-pored boletes like "Boletus Satanus" is probably a wise bet. Boletes are a very good shroom for beginners to learn. Other than the Slippery Jack's, nothing looks like them. NEMF has a good list on what shrooms are an issue here in the Northeast.

http://www.nemf.org/files/lincoff/beginners/poison.html
    There are old mushroom hunters, then there are bold mushroom hunters, never are their old and bold mushroom hunters, when in doubt throw it out..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    I only eat what I know, morels, morels, morels. Shrooms just seem to hard to identify for me, and I know nothing about them. Anything other than a morel scares me.

I love morels, however individuals MAY be allergic to them or have some other reaction. However, under cooked morels may force you to claim permanent residence on the porcelain throne.
    There are old mushroom hunters, then there are bold mushroom hunters, never are their old and bold mushroom hunters, when in doubt throw it out..

I'm pretty sure I've seen two of those mushrooms on that list while out in the woods, Amanita phalloides and Lepiota josserandii, I've got pictures of what I now think is Amanita phalloides on my cell phone. I took pictures of it while out morel hunting cause I'd never seen a shroom like it before.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

morels the only ones I know

That morel in the photo is married?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    OK, I don't get it. What is Married........?

In the picture the morel has a wedding band on it for size comparison. Took me a while to figure it out to.
    Thomas Paine

Married is what you used to be and what you're trying to avoid. Renting is similar but different.

Sparky, if you have shrooms on your cell phone you should clean it more often.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    it's not married, it's just got a prominent superior annulus...

i slay me.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

And when you explain it to everyone else they'll feel the same way. (snort, giggle)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

an easier way would be to feed them to your friends and watch what happens....... please note i shouldn't ever be the cook

isn't it easier to see what the other animals eat?
    Real men have beards, because real men are cavemen.

cousin it-not sure if your last comment was in jest or serious, so let me answer it for others who may not know, i have purposly fed aminatas to my captive rabbits and deer, with zero effect on them, answer your question??????
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Always save a little piece to show the rescue squad guys.....just so they know what you "tried this time".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ain't that the truth. My wife was giving me fits one time about eating something she didn't know what it was. I said, "Here. Hold this." and handed her a piece. "What am I gonna do with this?" she asked. Show it to the EMTS. Feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    Of course all four families or better yet, genera of mushrooms contain toxic or inedible look-a-likes/ relatives. Especially to the untrained eye. I'm a huge mycophile, but don't believe there is such a thing as a foolproof anything, especially in this day and age.

Boletes are an extremely diverse bunch o' shrooms and there are toxic species within. there are however safe rules for bolete eating without having to identify to exact species, but even those rules have been brought into question lately.
    100%. Saying any mushroom is foolproof is a dangerous statement. Any person who hasn't studied mycology at least for a bit c ould easily confused morchella with gyromitra. Pleurotis ostreatus could be confused with most any shelf mushroom. And the only thing good about boletus for beginners is none will kill you, although some will make you wish you were dead. I had an adverse reaction to Boletus appendiculatus that required hospitalization.