Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: check this out on skinning

Default check this out on skinning

I recently spoke with hermitman and said I'd do a piece on skinning and gutting small game, but why re-invent the wheel? This guy's directions are very good, I'm taking a page outta your book surferboy, check out this link hermitman, or anyone else who wants...http://simplesurvival.net/gamedressing.htm
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I absolutely agree on the part about making sure its dead (ouch)!

LOL, sorry darlin, forgot that was a 'sensitive' area. But, I was pretty sure we'd discussed this and hermitman said he couldn't find the thread and he had a good point...what's the point of killin' a critter and then ruining it cuz you don't know how to clean it properly....Some things I just take for granted others here can't.

Where is surferboy (Rick) today anyway? Missing his sparkling repartee....
    Last edited by trax; 01-31-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: deeply concerned
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

No problem,LOL I just wanted to reiterate that I make sure it dead now before I cut it

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Look Out!

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    No problem,LOL I just wanted to reiterate that I make sure it dead now before I cut it
    Sorry, this is not a skinning story but a quick deer story. While conducting some Marine Corps training, a friend of mine was laying some communication wire. As he worked his way around a tree line, a deer shot out and ran him over. He was wearing a helmet and flack jacket but still was knocked completely out!

No major injuries but funny as hell!!!

Poor bugger. That is funny, though, are the deer finally striking back? Attack of the killer ninja deer!

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    Sorry, this is not a skinning story but a quick deer story. While conducting some Marine Corps training, a friend of mine was laying some communication wire. As he worked his way around a tree line, a deer shot out and ran him over. He was wearing a helmet and flack jacket but still was knocked completely out!

No major injuries but funny as hell!!!
    Oh dear (deer),LOL funny stuff,bet he wasn't laughing about it when he woke up though!

Blog Entries

You better make sure its dead, we don't want no squirrel or rabbit playing opposum
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    You better make sure its dead, we don't want no squirrel or rabbit playing opposum
    That is soo bad, but yeah I laughed. I know a joke kinda like that, all about animals with "identity crisis" but it sure isn't rated pg-13 or whatever. Not going into a public forum that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Beo ,it wasn't playin possum,I thought it was dead,but I only knocked it out,fine time to find that out when I had it half skinned,she cried I creid,the mother -out-law cried,it was awful all the way around

Blog Entries

Live skinning...... how medieval of you, know wonder i like you.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

LOL Beo,the only good thing to come out of it,was mother -out-law never stuck her nose into my business again when I was cleaning animals after that

Blog Entries

That and a very cold animal

A very MAD animal!

Thanks Trax,
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Arkansas method huh? Well I'll be, isn't that the place where the family members that only got 5 fingers on each hand are jealous of their siblings who got all 6?

Rabbits skin easy, squirrels are bit tougher, most small game will be skinnable and cleanable following the methods illustrated.

A wee addendum: Personally, I recommend a drop point style knife for animal skinning. You don't need anything huge. I can skin, gut and quarter up a full deer with a 4" blade, for small animals I use a pocket knife with a 2 1/2" blade. I've never used those gut hooks and I find that clip point blades are more likely to snag or cut into the gut.

There is another thread on skinning and gutting:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=skin+squirrel

just wanted to tie the two together.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Trax
    The sweet serenity of the wilderness, the only place someone can know everything about everything

Banned
    Blog Entries

NELL67, Think what it is like to have a wolf or lynx you thought was dead, come alive in a small plane like a super cub. Airborn at 2,000 AGL
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-31-2008 at 08:35 PM.