Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Questions

Default Beginner Questions

Whats are the first five things a beginner should learn related to survival, like firecraft, plant identifacation, etc. I would like to make a list and check one thing off at a time.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Water purification, fire building, shelter building, first aid, orienteering... not nessacarily in that order.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The very first thing is get your butt into the wilderness. Second thing is Get your Butt into the wilderness. Read Sarge47 blog posts, but get your butt into the wilderness. If I forgot to mention it "Get your Butt into the wilderness". It will show you what you need to learn. Example: Last week I learned steel butt plates don't work with padded straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    The very first thing is get your butt into the wilderness. Second thing is Get your Butt into the wilderness. Read Sarge47 blog posts, but get your butt into the wilderness. If I forgot to mention it "Get your Butt into the wilderness". It will show you what you need to learn. Example: Last week I learned steel butt plates don't work with padded straps.
    Good advice, I spend most of my time outside wether I'm worken as a farm hand or hunten and fishen but fore the past few days I have been sick and bed ridden so I have spent most of my time pickin on my guitar or I'm on this forum. The other day I tryed to make a fire with a bow drill but all I managed to do was get a lot of smoke and no coal. I think my problem was my hearth so once I crawl out of my bedroom I'll try again with a different hearth.
    Last edited by Sparky93; 07-10-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fix spelling
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

The first list.....
    What are you gonna survive?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are a lot of things that need to be done BEFORE you go to the wilderness. The people that did not learn before they went to the woods are the ones we read about in the SAR stories.

Not all survival skills are restricted to wilderness use either.

You need to know water purification skills, firebuilding skills and at least minimal shelter building skills before you go on a hike through the local park.

You have a three minute air loss window
    three hour shelter window
    three day water limit

That is required for survival in the wilderness, the suburbs of Seattle or the concrete of NY City.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-11-2011 at 05:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

These are the things that people who find themselves in a survival situation need to simply stay alive.

Shelter- made or found
    Water - procurement and purification
    Fire - modern and primitive
    Food- gathering off and processing
    Basic first aid

Secondary skills, the things that get you to safety.

Map reading and compass skills
    Orienteering
    Trapping and snares
    advanced first aid
    chainsaw juggling
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The first list.....
    What are you gonna survive?
    I guess the scenario I would most likely be in is I've gone on a fishin trip with my family and I gotten turned around or night fall has dissoreantated me and I am forced to spend the night in the wilderness. While dissoreantated I have wonder farther off the beaten path than I thought and I am now lost. The things that come to my mind I would need are fire, shelter, and clean drinking water. That is the kind of scenario I would like to prepare for, surving until rescued. What are the first five things I should learn to prepare for such a scenario.
    Last edited by Sparky93; 07-10-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    These are the things that people who find themselves in a survival situation need to simply stay alive.

Shelter- made or found
    Water - procurement and purification
    Fire - modern and primitive
    Food- gathering off and processing
    Basic first aid

Secondary skills, the things that get you to safety.

Map reading and compass skills
    Orienteering
    Trapping and snares
    advanced first aid
    chainsaw juggling
    W.S.F.B.F.
    Wilderness Survival Forum Best Friends or Water, Shelter, Fire, Basic first aid, Food
    Thomas Paine

Sparky - You've asked a very good question. Last fall a father and two sons did a canoe trip to meet up with other folks. This was down by you and you probably remember the news story. The father decided they could not make the meet so pulled in to the bank to spend the night. Unfortunately, he forgot his cell phone and when they didn't arrive an all out SAR effort was called in. So, yes, it happens right here in Indiana. Fortunately, all were found okay the next morning after a lot of manhours and dollars spent.

You've gotten some pretty good advice. And some bad advice. Christopher McCandless is a good example of what happens to you when you go to the woods with no skills and let the woods teach you. And that chain saw juggling thing? Well, I can speak from experience that you had better get it perfect every time. I missed once. It's an, "Oh Snap!" moment.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I remember hearing about the that. I know better than to wonder off into the wilderness unprepared when my family and I go camping in colorado and I go fishing I always carry a fire starting device, a whistle, a knife and some cordage and whatever else I have in my fly fishing gear. But what I would like to prepare for is the unexpexted night in the wilderness when all I have is my multi-tool which I carry on me at all times.
    Thomas Paine

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You had to go to the wilderness to learn that? Seems a bit of common sense would have done just as well.

Are we throwing the keys to the car at a kid and aiming him at the freeway now?

There are a lot of things that need to be done BEFORE you go to the wilderness. The people that did not learn before they went to the woods are the ones we read about in the SAR stories.

Not all survival skills are restricted to wilderness use either.

You need to know water purification skills, firebuilding skills and at least minimal shelter building skills before you go on a hike through the local park.

You have a three minute air loss window
    three hour shelter window
    three day water limit

That is required for survival in the wilderness, the suburbs of Seattle or the concrete of NY City.
    Ky, I like a lot of what you say, too bad the system won't let me give you anymore rep for awhile. However, I don't think anybody is suggesting to throw a newbie into the Wilderness all alone. They should go with experienced hands to learn 1st hand how it's done...unless they're a forum Troll of course.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    But what I would like to prepare for is the unexpexted night in the wilderness when all I have is my multi-tool which I carry on me at all times.
    I think that's ultimately what we all strive for. Do more with less.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I just was done bein sick, I'm about to lose my mind stayin cooped up inside
    Thomas Paine

before anything else, a beginner needs to know how to control their own emotions and take a few minutes to absorb what may be happening. Step one is to be honest with yourself and admit you are in a survival situation.

Fire, water purification, shelter and basic medical are next and the order might depend on the situation.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    before anything else, a beginner needs to know how to control their own emotions and take a few minutes to absorb what may be happening. Step one is to be honest with yourself and admit you are in a survival situation.

Fire, water purification, shelter and basic medical are next and the order might depend on the situation.
    I like this advice. I've read in books and seen on TV that people end up getting themselves more lost than they already were by panicing causing them to get more disoriantated and more lost.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I like this advice. I've read in books and seen on TV that people end up getting themselves more lost than they already were by panicing causing them to get more disoriantated and more lost.
    Since you seem to like acronyms - think S.T.O.P. (sit, think, observe, plan)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Since you seem to like acronyms - think S.T.O.P. (sit, think, observe, plan)
    There ya go! +1!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

A lot of people like lists and organization, and that is a valuable skill.
    Most situations that may find you in survival mode is because you didn't plan for THAT particular situation.
    That is why mind set, and inventiveness is important as lists.

My gear increases in size and number, because what I had on my list to start with, didn't cover what has happened Now.

I do like your acronym, alot of people use them, and is very helpful.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm more for the pre-survival list of things you should check off.

1. Map and compass reading. If you take them with you and use them, you aren't likely to get too lost. The time to take out the compass is before you leave camp, not after you're lost. Check maps of the area you are going into before you even leave the house.

2. First aid. And not disaster first aid. Learn the basics for cuts scrapes, sprains, broken bones, what to do if you get one of your flyhooks stuck in the web of your thumb. That stuff. And CPR. You never know when you might happen upon an older hunter having a heart attack dragging out his deer. You can get certified in a weekend.

3. It's been said here before, Know your gear and practice using your gear. And I'll add, don't keep all your gear in your pack. Like you said, you may end up with just your multitool. I keep an energy bar stashed in one of my pockets, the flashlight is on my belt, etc. (not that I can get too lost the places I been hiking).

4. Identify the bad plants first. Whatever your local version of poison ivy and other nasties that'll sting or raise welts. Insects too. Then worry about the ones you can eat.

5. In the meantime, practice your water/shelter/fire/food.

And don't stop practicing after you've ticked off a skill on your list. Keep practicing.
    Last edited by LowKey; 07-10-2011 at 08:57 PM.