Thread: Handline

Default Handline

I was wondering how to fish with a rod compacted and put in a survival kit. I couldnt find a way so, I improvised. I got a coke can and tied fishing line to it. I then wrapped it to my desired length. I then tied on a hook, cork,and weight. I had my doubts about it but it turns out it works great! Its perfect for streams and even ponds. Its great for bream and small catfish too.

C:\Users\Teacher\Downloads\handline.jpg

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer112 View Post
    I was wondering how to fish with a rod compacted and put in a survival kit. I couldnt find a way so, I improvised. I got a coke can and tied fishing line to it. I then wrapped it to my desired length. I then tied on a hook, cork,and weight. I had my doubts about it but it turns out it works great! Its perfect for streams and even ponds. Its great for bream and small catfish too.

C:\Users\Teacher\Downloads\handline.jpg
    It's against the law here. If it's a survival situation, then I'll use a trot line.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Check this fishing rod out, scroll down & you'll see the infamous "kick-tail" lure which is reported to work so well that if you get caught using one in many fishing competitions, you'll be disqualified!

http://ngcsports.com/page2.cfm

Enjoy!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Look up the Cuban Reel Hand Fishing YoYo. They are the commercial version of just what you described. But they work exactly the same as your Coke can and the Coke can is free.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

oh cool. I thought I had invented something. darn.

Well, I think you invented the "Fishslayer Coke Can Reel Handfishing YoYo".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

a friend of mine has a compactable pole that extends to about 5'. He keeps it in his car so he can fish whenever. It works pretty well too.

As for a hand reel, in scout camp if someone didn't have a rod and wanted to fish, we would go find a good branch, cut it to about a foot and wrap line around it. Set the hook and bobber and that was it. I can't see your pic OP, so I can't really see what you're talking about, but the hand reels we used worked great. If you kept the "rod" in one hand and loosely held some line in your fingers in the other hand, you could feel when fish were nibbling the bait. If it got pulled out of your finger, they would yank the "rod" and set the hook. Best way to reel in the fish was to just back away from the shore line and drag the fish up on shore. Best thing about it is if you wanted to walk away, you just jammed the stick in the ground.

I have a telescoping 6 ft rod.. I pack an ultra light reel (its small) .. works awesome, packs small. Great replacement for the hand rigs(I still keep) I have out of wood but based on the coke can principle. I picked it up at Bass Pro for a reasonable price... Though, I still carry the hand rig... who knows when you lose a few eyelets or snap a rod!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I saw some kids fishing once using just a glass soda bottle as a reel (no rod). They had the line wrapped around the neck of the bottle and would us their thumb to hold it in place till they cast it. They were casting out a good 50, 60' feet! then would wrap it back around the neck as they were reeling it in.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Yesterday, I got about 7 feet of line and a small hook, found an earthworm on the bank, and caught 2 bluegills in less than 10 minutes. Long casts aren't always needed.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke