Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Aid kit question, What's in the next level, & next.

I think you can handle just about any problem that comes along with that short of an airway issue or tooth problem. You can improvise any of those items. A 2X2 gauze and some tape can serve just as well as a bandaid. I'm admittedly anal retentive and have to have all the bases covered. I agonize over what should and shouldn't be in my pack for just a week-ender.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think you can handle just about any problem that comes along with that short of an airway issue or tooth problem. You can improvise any of those items. A 2X2 gauze and some tape can serve just as well as a bandaid. I'm admittedly anal retentive and have to have all the bases covered. I agonize over what should and shouldn't be in my pack for just a week-ender.
    I have a fully stocked ALS bag ( that i always carry), a BLS bag in my jeep, a BLS bag at the shop, and I have a dedicated GSW kit for the deer lease. Now maybe you dont feel so bad about Trying to cover all the bases!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

OOOH good advice here! Thanks!!! I didn't see this mentioned and hope it applies to this thread- One thing you can do if you don't want to constantly be updating those scripts for Antibiotics with an MD is go to a pet store ( probably not your local Pet-whatever- store) and pick up a bottle of Fish Mox, Fish cillan or Fish Flex. I keep a bottle around my place for those times when I just know instinctively that something is going on that requires an antibiotic but its not worth going to a Dr over. I also have one that I keep in my car with my winter gear. I normally just grab the Fish Flex for the strength. The ones I get are premeasured capsules (250mg) and I just take them as I would if I got them from an MD. They have a GREAT shelf life- the ones I have now Ive had for over a year and dont expire for a months. The only thing Ive read on them that makes them different is they aren't approved so they aren't supposed to be for human consumption. I first learned about them when I worked in a pet store and found out Dog Mushers buy them for when they are on the trail. I personally have had no issues with them other then my boss telling me that shes waiting for me to start gurgling when she knows I'm taking them!

We've had quite a discussion on pet meds with those in favor of and those opposed. I'm in the "I don't think so" camp because they are not approved for humans. But that's just me. I'm kinda funny about what goes in my mouth. Not so much about what I wear though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm a ex emt advance and it seems you guys thought your kits out very well i'm proud of you.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I THINK IF A PERSON COULD LEARN INTERVEINOUS THERAPY FOR BLOOD LOSS OR DEHYDRATION .THIS WOULD ONLY BE USED IN THE CASE OF EVERYTHING BREAKING DOWN WITH ARE MEDICAL SERVICE.
    Last edited by tnrick55; 10-31-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Oh believe me... every time I take one that thought crosses my mind. I figure Im old enough now that unhealthy things that could affect me are lining up and taking a number.

Just Hangin' Out...

Just wanted to comment in order to bring this older post to the forefront again so new forum members might read it.

I carry MUCH more in the sailboat, but we are often in the true middle of nowhere and may not have any access to reliable medical care.

The posts above have been well thought out, and I love the idea of the small size and weight of the Condor Kit. If it is easy to grab, you are far more likely to carry it with you!

The attitude that expired supplies means you are living a blessed life is the one to adopt in any survival situation... You are either blessed because you didn't need it (my preference), or blessed because you had it when you needed it (and it wasn't expired)!
    "I don't know anything, and I can prove it just by opening my mouth...

I love the idea that "Two is one, and one is none." until I try to carry twice as much!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We've had quite a discussion on pet meds with those in favor of and those opposed. I'm in the "I don't think so" camp because they are not approved for humans. But that's just me. I'm kinda funny about what goes in my mouth. Not so much about what I wear though.
    DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME CHILDREN!!!! But I got seriously sick contracted MRSA staff , Well I didn't have money for a Doctor so I ordered some pet meds off ebay took the course of antibiotics I needed and BOOM it went away, I do however have a strong desire to chase cars, and the mailman.
    The pills I took I pulled up on drug.com and they were an exact match to what is perscribed for humans and on th elabel the maker was the same as for humans . just my experience with this. In NO WAY AM I SAYING ANYONE SHOULD DO THIS!!!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Hey Rick, where and how exactly did you manage to get the 30 Hydrocodone 500 Mg tabs for your kit? Isn't that a restricted drug? Or am I wrong? Did you have some left over from a script or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_Spencer View Post
    Hey Rick, where and how exactly did you manage to get the 30 Hydrocodone 500 Mg tabs for your kit? Isn't that a restricted drug? Or am I wrong? Did you have some left over from a script or...?
    As long as his name is on the prescription bottle you can carry any drugs your prescribed. I have narcotics in my bag all prescribed to me.

I just asked my Dr for them. If you have a good relationship with your doctor and he/she knows you like to travel in the back country and aren't in their office every week wanting pain pills then they shouldn't have a problem writing up a script for them. I simply told him we like to spend time outdoors and wanted an analgesic in case we had a serious accident and had to spend the night waiting for help. I wanted something to take the edge off a broken leg or similar but still allow me to think straight to do the things I might need to do like signalling or staying hydrated. It won't do you much good if something is so strong it knocks you out and you have no way of signalling your rescuers.

I also requested a broad spectrum antibiotic that would buy us a window of time to seek medical help if we came down with something cruddy like giardia. I'm pretty careful about how I handle water but cross contamination can occur.

Your doctor shouldn't have a big issue with writing a script for an analgesic for a couple of days and a broad spectrum antibiotic for maybe a week. Just depends on where you plan on going and how long. If they won't do that then you might think about another doctor. I wouldn't go waltzing in there asking for Oxy or morphine but rather explain what you want and let them make the judgement on what that should be.

Same with me. My drugs include Oxy,vikadin,Valium,albuterol, and Epi. If your doctor is good, they will understand better to have and not need.... Pretty much all of my drugs get wasted.

Well holy crap. Iv been to the doctor several times and he wouldnt even give me pain medicine when I HAD pain. And now I learn you can get it as a just in case sort of deal? Wow. I always knew my Dr. was crap but man.

I would imagine every doctor has their fair share of those who will do and say anything to get a script for pain pills. I can see it making them jaded to everyone. And I'm sure they also know the tell tell signs to look for in patients like that. I would think in your profession it would be the easiest thing in the world to get those kind of scripts. Not only are you off trail and risking serious injury but there's the ever present bad guy with marijuana fields or poachers that you are apt to run into. You of all people should be carrying something just in case.

it also helps in my case being an EMT. But what i have in my personal bag I have acquired from my doctor. If the chit hits the fan I can get restocked thru my dept till it runs out then when im down to the last batch of my narcs in my ALS bag, then IM out and will horde that for my family . our emergency plan is to distribute all the narcs to the EMS so they can stay in the field, don't sound like a good idea to me but Im just lowly medic.

Oh man, Rick, remind me at some point in a more related thread to tell you about some of those people Iv ran across. Whew boy.

Just think what you would do if you took a round in the thigh during a snowstorm at 9:00 at night, stepped into a booby trap or simply sprained an ankle bad enough you couldn't walk on it...in those conditions. You're probably going to have to hunker down for the night even if you are in radio contact. I just don't see any reason to endure a lot of pain on top of bad conditions on top of being injured when it's so easy to fix the pain part. And yeah, I imagine there are plenty of crazies out there to deal with. My hat's off to you guys. I'd shoot one too many for being stupid and probably lose my job.

Supervisor: "Again?"
    Me: "Hey, is it my fault he was stupid?"
    Supervisor: "That's four this month not counting the two you wounded."
    Me: "They were just dumb. If they had been stupid I wouldn't have wounded them."