Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther "PP & PPK" Class size........?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Walther "PP & PPK" Class size........?

I got wheel guns, and the G-22 is the smallest auto-loader I inventory. I am craving a Walther PPK size tool. Open to suggestions. Would prefer steel or alloy......kind of repulsed by small polymer arms. Weight not an issue. Does not need to be super small............Ideas.....?

My carry around in my travel bag, (NOT for Airlines), but nice to have in a hotel room, is a SS Wather PPK .380, although I didn't necessarily go looking for it.
    Good enough for James Bond, so good enough for me.
    Made under license by Smith and Wesson, BTW

Kinda one of those "Hey I know you shoot, I have this "whatever", and am looking to get rid of it" deals.
    Being SS and small, seems to just fit the need, so has been there for a some time now.

Little thing shoots pretty good, one of those point, shoot and it goes there, can't ask anything more than that.
    Kinda grew on me.

Stop a bear....probably not, but I like it and I guessing that it's gonna stay right where it's at for now.
    On the nite stand right now..........
    That's all I know.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-08-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have found that once these cravings hit there is not much anyone can say to stop them.

I have owned a couple of Walthers and you will find they are as heavy as your G-whatever in full 9mm.

The sole reason I rely on a .380 as my summer carry gun is the miniscule size and weight available in the P3AT.

But there was a time when the favored pistol in my carry battery was a Browning 1922 model in .380. It weighed less than the Walther and did not have the horrid double/single action trigger. I want one or the other, not both.

If the weight and trigger do not bother you go for it. I have never seen a bad Walther (except in the P38 with bad heat treatments during the war and the evil little .22 they pass off on the unsuspecting). Even the wartime models of the pp/ppk that I have seen were excellent guns.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I love my Kahr MK9 which I've carried for years off duty. It's all stainless steel. It's about the same size and weight as a Walther PPK. Think of it as a very small, all stainless steel Glock. It shoots the much more potent 9mm instead of .380 (also available in .40 cal). What's not to like? Except for price. They are spendy lil buggers but it's well worth the price IMO. They are of very high quality and materials. It's a pistol your grandchildren will be shooting. Really accurate too for a small gun. Accuracy wise, the MK9 can hang with alot of full sized guns. I can hit a 2 liter bottle all day long at 25 yards with this short little pocket rocket. IMO, they are worth a look. I know mine is not going anywhere.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    Think of it as a very small, all stainless steel Glock. .
    Amazing!!!

Even what is not a Glock is a Glock!

(snort, chortle) I was thinking the same thing when I read that. You got it bad, GC. Wait a minute! Did we just agree on something?!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Amazing!!!

Even what is not a Glock is a Glock!
    Glocks are such a good thing that Kahr emulated them in their own design. Why not? They are THAT good! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you know. A Glock may not be a particular person's cup of tea but no one can argue with their proven performance and unfailable track record. That is unless that person just wants to hear themselves talking and look foolish while doing so .

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    (snort, chortle) I was thinking the same thing when I read that. You got it bad, GC. Wait a minute! Did we just agree on something?!
    Common Rick, I dont ''have it bad''. I'm a realist and know what works, when I need it to, every time I need it to. Cut me some slack, will ya .

I really think the Khar looks more like a KelTec but you guys are due to your Glock clouded opinion.

If immitation is the best form of flattery why does Glock not make a 1911 clone? Are they just being rude? Everyone else makes one.

SD - Aren't you going to have to go to an older model to get away from Polymer? Just about everyone has gone the polymer route to cut down on weight. How about a CZ-82?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I really think the Khar looks more like a KelTec but you guys are due to your Glock clouded opinion.

If immitation is the best form of flattery why does Glock not make a 1911 clone? Are they just being rude? Everyone else makes one.
    "why does Glock not make a 1911 clone?"...Because Glock innovation broke new ground and improved on what a combat pistol should have been in the first place. Apparently a progressive firm like Glock does not feel the need to cover old ground. If you want to shoot tiny groups on the bullseye course, buy a $2500 1911. If you want the most reliable "save my @zz" gun on the planet strap on a $500 Glock and leave the safe queen at home. Glock has rewritten the standard by which combat pistols are judged. This is evident by all of the "flattery" it gets from nearly every pistol company making polymer guns. Even some making all stainless steel ones (aka Kahr). Let's see...corrosion resistance nobody can touch, fewer parts than anything else, rediculously long weapon life, lighter weight, unmatched reliabilty in ANY environment, one of the highest mag capacities available, the simplest manual of arms out there, no gunsmith necessary for customization, very cost effective, way more accurate than it needs to be. Yep, no need to cover old ground here. Now, back to the OP...Kimber ''SOLO'' is also a very attractive option. Also a Sig 239 is worth a peak. I suggest these models because why stay with a .380 when for the same size and weight you can have a 9mm or .40? But if you want a .380, Sig has one in the form of a little bitty 1911 platform that's super nice in stainless or alloy frame.
    Last edited by glockcop; 07-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.

I vote for carrying your Glock 22 over a diminutive .380 anyday. My son has one in .40 and it is sweet - incredibly small for the amount of firepower it packs - just not my style. I used to carry a Detonics Pocket-9 backup. If you can find one, I recommend it. It's a little fatter than a PPKS, but packs much more punch. If I can't talk you out of a .380 and you need a metal frame, look at the NA Arms, (for a good DA only .380) or an AMT backup for a SA last ditch hideaway (not the DA only model). It's heavier than the polymer framed pistols, but slightly smaller than most dimensionally. I'm an old school 1911 fanboy, who has trouble adapting to the glock trigger, but I'll give props where due. It's funny, cause I can hit with a DA revolver- it's just that Glock trigger wierds me out. Maybe after a few thousand rounds, but I'm just not that patient - or rich. If you can hit with it (as many can) I say go for it. Just cause I'd rather a blond than a redhead, I can't fault those who's tastes differ. I say shoot with the largest caliber that you can reliably hit with. I'd rather be missed by a .50 than drilled in the forehead with a 22lr. That said, would you rather be hit in the torso with a .380 or a .40? Nuff said.

Chip
    I asked my broker where to put my money. He said canned food and ammo.
    I think I'll just invest in ammo. Roasted zombies are mighty tasty you know.
    Especially the young and tender ones. Napalm sticks to kids!

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I bought my PPK/S about 20yrs ago, shoot it some. Easy to carry but likes to bite larger hands. It's accurate, easy to carry IWB but I just don't feel dressed with a 380. I am kinda ashamed to admit it but I do find myself with a Glock 23 more often than not. Still like my old Beretta 45. The PPK/S is fun to shoot, ammo is expensive and been a big rush to buy 380 pocket guns but carry either a 45, 40 Smith J frame. The PPK/S lives in the safe along with the 22cal thingys.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Don't let the dogs get to that Walther - look how long it too to find the Beretta after they hid it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I own two walthers. PP, and a PPK/s(interarms). Both great guns. Would recommend. A little heavy if you don't mind that. But you can never go wrong with a Glock either.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Glockcop should be smiling over that post. That should be good for about a 9 page post anyway.

Back in the day when I was an aspiring street cop (1970's) I carried a Walther PPK/s as a hideout gun. not as a backup gun. ( My backup gun was a Satin Chrome Colt commander in .45 ACP) It worked then. I also sometimes carried a Colt 1908 in .380 as a hideout gun instead of the Walther.

As I don't need or carry a secondary handgun now, The Glock 23 has become my primary handgun which is sometimes replaced by a 1911 style commander either a Colt or a Kimber in .45 ACP.

I am guility of having, on occasion, carried the KelTec P3AT. It took a lot of practice. over 400 rds. a golf glove and a sore hand to obtain enought skill to keep all the rounds in the 10 ring at 15 yards of a B24 target.

If I felt a need for a smaller handgun, then my Glock 23 I would look very hard at the Kimber Solo. a 9mm handgun very simular to the older Colt 1908 but in 9mm not a .380
    AS much as I like the Glocks, the mini Glocks just don't work for me.
    Last edited by Beans; 07-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Look at the Kel-Tec PF9.

I think he'd be better served with a Kel-Tec KSG... but that's just me.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Ok, maybe it's not as concealable as your typical .380, but I guarantee that you will cause more butts to pucker simply by whipping it out than any .380 ever will.

In fact, my sphincter is tightening just thinking about it. Now we just need to find a concealable holster - possibly an inside the pants model... What?

Chip
    I asked my broker where to put my money. He said canned food and ammo.
    I think I'll just invest in ammo. Roasted zombies are mighty tasty you know.
    Especially the young and tender ones. Napalm sticks to kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Look at the Kel-Tec PF9.
    Junk..........
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent