Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a "DAYPACK".....???

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, The new survival gear containment thingie (SGCT) is in the mail. http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-cou...pack-2300cu-in

Yes, Winnie......we all have different needs. Looks like mine is the biggest................

I calculate that this is as small as I can go for a March through October EDC bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Well, The new survival gear containment thingie (SGCT) is in the mail. http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-cou...pack-2300cu-in

Yes, Winnie......we all have different needs. Looks like mine is the biggest................

I calculate that this is as small as I can go for a March through October EDC bag.
    Godamighty!...whatever happened to the more you know the less you have to carry?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Godamighty!...whatever happened to the more you know the less you have to carry?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

What is a daypack ? I thought I knew for sure, and now for sure, I truely don't know. I must have more than 20+ packs, including an original "Trapper Nelson" (Which looks like a daypack).
    People just need to get out, kit or no kit.
    Just reading from notes to self.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Just reading from notes to self.
    'Zactly, Bee!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

The size I prefer for a Day Pack is along the lines of a Camelbak HAWG.
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...1-Hawg-NV.aspx

Mine is the older one. Pockets are different, but size/concept is similar.
    I have larger packs, but this size fits what I would call a "Daypack".
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

My daypak is a small book bag pack like you see ids going to school with, it's a Nike. I found it laying in the woods buried under dirt and a year or twos worth of decaying leaves. It had a half gallon of booze in it. I dumped the booze, threw it in the washing machine and called it "my daypak", lol.

It will hold up to 25 pounds of crap comfortably, no waist straps or sternum strap and being a daypak is only intended for the bare essentials and carrying out more than carrying in, wild edibles and other useful stuff in particular. I typically have a knife, firstarter, tinder, pot, water bottles, bags, maybe a cooler weather shirt or coat, maybe a piece of plastic for shelter, and maybe a bit more food or cookgear. But, being a daypak it is not for carrying lots of gear in, but rather carrying lots of gear and such to be out.

I think it might be 1500 CI, about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of my MOLLE assault pack, which is intended for overnighters and extended trips up to 2 weeks. The MOLLE has the potential for 3000-4000 CI if I really load it out.

I got the external frame MOLLE Rifleman too, but likely will never use it unless I'm hauling out, or in, body parts. LOL!

My daypak used to be a fanny pak which contained smokes, fire starter, and a knife, maybe a bag or two for wild edibles, but since I've gotten better at harvesting wild edibles the pak made more sense and is far more ergonomical than carrying several bags of wild edibles and other useful items found in the woods. I've adapted the daypak to hunting and fishing too, making it much easier on my hands and arms allowing more freedom to run and gun for the fishies and critters.

to me a daypak is small and unobtrusive. It can be taken off and dumped in the woods to come back for at a later date or time. I can go through thick brush with it and hike, jump, climb, and not get hung up on branches and such. It's a pack that you can load out if need be and still tear it up in the woods without becoming fatigued in any way whatsoever.

back when I was a young fella in New Zealand in the 50's , the standard 'day pack' was called a 'Pikau'.

this, was a bit like me.............'simple & cheap'...........and easy to make.

back then you could buy brown sugar in 25lb hessian bags..........once the sugar was used up we'd snaffle the empty bag, wash it, grab a handfull of a baler twine, tie an end to both bottom corners of the bag, put a slip knot in the middle of the twine, dump your kit in the bag to about 2/3rds full, tie a half knot in the top of the bag, run the slip knot over the bag knot, and you're done!! Fling it over your shoulders and go huntin !!

There is a modern version of this still being made downunder...................

I have a similar sized cordura back pack that'll take a rainjacket, small LED torch, firelighting gear, compass, perhaps a map ? bit of grub, water purifying tabs, spare knife & steel,small 1st aid kit, a length of cord, and thats about it. Rifle in hand, binos around neck, spare ammo in belt pouch, knife on belt..........usually have a leatherman type tool in my pants, spare lighter and cellphone in shirt pocket.

Being an old paratrooper, I'm always 'checking equipment !' every time I sit down and get up again, and whilst on the move. Do this frequently and you don't lose anything! keep the checklist 'short & sweet' and you GTG!!

Oh yeah ........to MY mind THAT is a DAYPACK !!! nuff stuff for one day................
    Last edited by Bushman; 07-10-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I'm OLD OK ??? :(
    "use enough gun......"

DAYPACK!!!!!
    Everyone is looking in the wrong places.

We have hundreds of them, all styles, shapes, and colors. They just need a good sanitizing, (rottening food and drinks), and they best thing is that they are free. They are yours for the picking, you can also get your excise, vitamin "C" from the sun, and plenty of fresh air, just take a short walk with me in the desert.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

posat deleted
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

LOL, Thanks for the vision......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think they should have gone with the 72 hour pack personally. Running out of water 20 miles from the nearest latrine is not good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I got the three shoulder packs from sportsmanguide today. Looking at (Crashes Maxpedition) they are almost an exact knockoff! Huge savings and great Quality! I will get pics up. Me and the girls are building our day packs tonight!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Like I said, I am very pleased with this purchase! Lots of utility and a just a great bag. Were filling'em up. Starting with the basics and adding comfort items! A great buy for anyone on a budget like me. I'll break it down to what's inside later.......still packing.....

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Love the arrows just in frame!