Thread: Emergency food storage usage

Default Emergency food storage usage

We stock up on staples in the hopes that they won't be needed and plan to use them to keep them rotated and fresh as possible...well I recently was very glad for my foresight in laying up supplies. No I didn't have a nuke dropped in my backyard or zombies overrun my neighborhood but I am going through the stores now and am grateful for them. I had a car accident last month and have been laid up all month and likely will be next month as well and the staples have made a big difference when unable to walk or drive to a store. It does not take a national disaster to have the five p's apply. I will be fine but with a broken ankle and fractured sternum work is out of the question for another month or so. No one wants to hire someone on crutches in this economy when there are fifty able bodied people applying for each job. Just sayin' the stores DO come in handy.

D.O.M.
    Last edited by Durtyoleman; 06-30-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

I couldn't agree more DOM. I have been below par for a while and my income has suffered. My stores have certainly come in handy. Now all I have to do is earn enough to start replacing what I've used!LOL
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

There are many, many definitions for SHTF. You just provided one. Good luck and I hope you're on the mend soon.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Glad you were prepared. Hope you heal up soon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am so sorry you had to use your staples in that way but it's a valuable lesson to us all.
    Best of luck in getting better soon!

Banned
    Blog Entries

And they are a great investment. I was moving some stuff around two weeks ago and found 46 pounds of canned coffee. Rick likes money, I like end-user stuff. Hope you have a full recovery.

I just did an audit on BOB's, pulled some cans/paks of stuff out and am replacing them.........Need to have an inventory rotation plan.
    Would be a bad thing thing to have a need and find they stuff has gone bad.

I couldn't agree more that SHTF occurs in many ways....Good to know you were some what prepared for it.
    Thanks for the reminder, and hope you get better soon....being down is really tough.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Heal up quick, old man.

Your point is right on target; especially for this forum. When I was in the Emergency Management business in FL (on the other side of the peninsula from you), the "All Hazards Approach" was the doctrine and practice. Your situation proves the effectiveness of that. Even though you are under a cloud, you preparedness was a silver lining. Congratulations for being prepared. Reminds me of an old Sergeant I served with years ago - when asked "Are you ready?"; he would say "I'm prepared, but never (completely) ready." OK, just another Army story.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Thanx for the good wishes all. Just wanted to point out to some who might not have thought of it that the storage is not a waste but an investment or an insurance policy with low loss if used and rotated.
    D.O.M.

Yup! Emergencies come in all forms! Good post. Hope ya heal well and fast!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

A great example of why we prepare. "You never know" applies. It reminds me of a question I was asked by a non gun owner the other day. She asked me "Why do you have a CCL and feel the need to carry a gun?". My answer was simple, if you are ever going to NEED a gun, you're going to need it RIGHT THEN.

The same thing applies to Food storage and other preps. I hope we never have a Nuke dropped on us or face a horde of zombies, but I'd rather not be looking for food at that moment. Your story illustrates the endless number of other possibilities that make a prudent person have some "Insurance".

And a couple of other really bad scenarios would be having a zombie dropped on us or facing a horde of nukes. Either way, pretty bad.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"You funny like Bob Hope"

One other note, D.O.M.'s story is a good way to defend our preparedness mindset when we are viewed as "Crazy Survivalists" by the unprepared public. I'm not prepping for Nuclear war or a Zombie invasion, I'm prepping for day to day emergencies (such as natural disasters - plenty of those lately) and rising food prices/economic uncertainty. I'm prepping because I could end up unemployed someday. All those and a million other "Normal reasons".

The 2000 rounds of double-ought buckshot? Yep, those are for the zombies (dead or alive)

Yeah but he's dead........Hey.......wait a minute...........