Thread: Flute making, improvising tools?

Default Flute making, improvising tools?

Hey, everyone. I've gotten a fix idea that I want to make a native american flute, but I'm having problems with the tools department:

I have split the branch, and am about to start chiseling, problem is I can't find any good way to keep it from moving, since the outside will be round, it wobbles around quite a bit, any tips on how I can lodge it, or make some kind of clamp-like device to keep it from moving? =)

here's a drawing illustrating a simple jig for holding round stock:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

you can flue the split rod sections down to the plank, screw/pin them on from beneath, or if it's too much trouble to split or saw them, you can even use whole round sections. you can secure your flute piece down by binding around a section you are not working at that moment.

if all or many of your flutes were to be of a consistent length, you could also add a stop block over the half round sections and screw/pin that down, so that your flute piece just fits snugly between them. this would be in alternative to binding the piece to the jig.

here's a side view showing were the stop blocks would go. they just need to be less tall than the section your are chiseling out:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

alternatively, you could hold the flute piece in a padded vise, but i figured that if you had one of those you wouldn't be asking this question.
    Last edited by canid; 06-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

This is a site I found while searching the same subject. It gives formulas to calculate were to put the holes based on the diameter of the bore and the length of the flute.
    http://www.flutopedia.com/
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.