Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parched Corn Recipe

Blog Entries

Default Parched Corn Recipe

Here it is my famous trail food of parched Corn. Why spend a bunch of money on pricey power bars, Native Americans and the early pioneers already knew how to make an easy nutritious snack. Parched corn was staple of early Americans and today it is the perfect pick-me-up for any outdoor activity. Follow these steps to whip up a batch of the original American energy food.

Things You'll Need:
    Corn
    Skillet
    Butter, lard, oil or cooking spray
    Spoon
    Paper towel
    Cloth or plastic bags
    Dry the corn. The primary ingredient of parched corn is dried corn. To dry fresh corn on the cob, hang it in a dry area of your home and allow it to dry out naturally. Frozen corn can be dried in a dehydrator or spread on a cookie sheet and placed in an oven set at 150 degrees. Leave the oven door open a little. This method can take a few hours and the corn should be turned occasionally to prevent burning.
    Oil the skillet. Add a small amount of butter, lard or oil to a skillet. Cooking spray can also be used. Heat the oil on a low temperature. Wipe the frying pan with paper towel to remove any excess oil. Only a thin coating should remain on the bottom of the pan.
    Pour the corn in the skillet. Add enough dry corn to the skillet to just about cover the bottom. The actual amount will depend on the size of the skillet.
    Cook the corn. Allow the corn to cook slowly. Stir the dried corn constantly to prevent burning. I sometimes add crushed red peppers or other spices at this time for a different taste. The parched corn is done when the kernels have swollen, and turned a medium brown. A few of the kernels may explode, just like popcorn.
    Drain the corn. Pour the parched corn onto some paper towel and allow to thoroughly drain and cool. Turn the corn a couple of times to ensure that all excess oil is absorbed. Store the parched corn. Place the parched corn in a cloth, my favorite a hide bag (it soaks up any extra oil) or plastic bag for storage. A small bag of parched corn will be enough for your next day of hiking.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Cool Beo, Thanks!

Blog Entries

And the Canadian's also used this as a trail food long before the American Colonials... Shhhhhhhh don't let Trax and the others know.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

And we drank it around here before there was a Canada. Got 4 gal. to the acre(don't know nothin about metric)

Thanks Beo
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Drank it, shoot were still drinking it coot.I mean running it in our trucks yea thats it in or trucks....

Blog Entries

Parched Corn is a trail food not Corn Whiskey Although corn whiskey is probably a trail drink too

True BEO, great recipe by the way I'll try it for sure..

Blog Entries

Ya know Corn Whiskey may be new survival phycological thing, the more ya drink it the less ya care if your lost

Do ya some good and help ya to....

Quote Originally Posted by tracks View Post
    Drank it, shoot were still drinking it coot.I mean running it in our trucks yea thats it in or trucks....
    Tracks,now that is a waste,LOL stick with drinking it!!!!!!!

More like medicinal purposes only NELL, it makes me sick every time I drink the stuff ... I just wish the flu was as much fun to catch. HEHEHE.

Oh Yea you can say that again!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    And the Canadian's also used this as a trail food long before the American Colonials... Shhhhhhhh don't let Trax and the others know.
    Corn was an important enough crop, far before Chris Columbus and his pals opened up their first taco stands in the Caribbean, that there were wars fought over it. All of the North American tribes used parched corn as a trail food, so I'd imagine that "colonists" in both countries made use of it as well, far before there was a Canada or a US of A. Generally, the first explorers learned to make use of what their guides taught them.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Sounds like good eatting

I might even post my recipie for the perfect bacon and egg banjo, Cavalry Way !
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

That or stop at 7-11 and buy a bag of corn nuts! They come in flavors too. Then stop at the adult beverage store for some corn in a bottle. Go home and turn on the telly and watch Survivor Quest or one of the new survival shows. When you finish the corn you bought! Tell the wife how good she looks and wink a lot!

Kidding! Just kidding. Honestly; I was just kidding.

Great recipe. I'll have to try that. It sounds like it would be as good as my hard tack, or with my hard tack.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Interesting little side note here. Corn as we know it today didn't exist in the America's. Maize (as the indigenous folks called it) was actually a wild grass called teosinte and it had a lower natural sugar content. Indigenous peoples were not plagued with either tooth decay or crooked teeth until teosinte had been cultivated into a form more closely resembling the corn we see today with its high sugar content.

You can find accounts of white man occupation that describe nomadic indigenous tribes in North America that had no tooth decay until they encountered food the white man ate.

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teosinte

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/articles/teeth1.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default parched corn

I agree with beowolf that parched corn is fantastic. We have always saved corn for this purpose. there are differences in the type of corn which you use. King Kain corn is the type that is used at the store and was a staple for meal in the southern states. The older varieties that are not "sweet" corn will puff up less when parched, but is perferred by some....especially those south of the border. Sweet corn when parched is far more tender and sweet. You can also make a similar product from sweet corn if you cut the kernels from the ear as if you were going to freeze it. Then you simply dry the corn....it too is delicious.

Sarge - Move to Survival Food:
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Smile Parched Corn recipe

Wow. I was just looking for the recipe when I found your forum. My Grandma used to make parched corn all the time using the very same procedure that you put in your recipe..

I love that stuff. It isn't seen much any more.