Thread: Attaching Knife Scales

Default Attaching Knife Scales

I've used a few methods and a variety of scale materials.

I've used Gorilla Epoxy and experienced a failure due to water absorbtion in unstabilized maple.

I've used Gorill Glue and liked the results thus far.

I've even used a thermoset plastisol with antler.

I was thinking of what would be best to attach my aluminum and leather laminate I am working on now and came up with Permatex Gasket Shellac using rubberized gasket material as a liner. I know I always steared clear of the stuff when I worked on my toys because it just don't come off.

What do you use and what are your thoughts on the shellac?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Devcon 2-ton epoxy is the knifemakers standard.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Devcon 2-ton epoxy is the knifemakers standard.
    I hear ya! I just think it is too brittle for my chopper with aluminum, leather, and 1095. 2 tons refers to pulling force, this knife will see some shearing effects even with the 5 stainless pins. I also like to try things out not just keep doing what is always done. Maybe it is the engineer in me.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I hear ya, slab handles have a differant stress then through tangs. I would venture to guess that with 5 pins and aluminum slabs that if you countersunk and peened the pins it would never come off even without glue, but, use the glue anyway.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Lost in the Mountains

For metal on metal, with or without pins/rivets I have used JB Weld with good results. I've even bulked up the JB Weld and ground that down as the handle slabs right on the knife itself. Not really pretty, but effective, cheap and quick. However, I usually end up back to Dev-Con for convenience.

Mark H

I used the Permatex Shellac and am thus far very pleased. The rich brown color is a bonus! I will be trying it with wooden scales next.