Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pigeons

Blog Entries

True Don, some of us are but a pay chack or two from homeless, but woudn't you work three jobs if you had too. I mean... ahhh never mind. But they are survivalist.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I live in Seattle, when I wanted to move from dish washer to cook I had to find my replacement. I thought, no problem there are a 1000 jerko.... I mean PEOPLE with
    signs looking for jobs. I'm from the south and never really saw this growing up, so silly
    me I just start asking them if they wanna job (inside, no heavy lifting, eat every day,
    paycheck). I got spit at, cussed out and in a couple of shoving matches over it. Wow,
    I mean WTF? I see this one guy downtown who has been 'between jobs for 6 years'.
    What do you do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    We have in this area what we call Navajo chickens. Big black birds that look like they would feed a family of 6. Once cooked only enough meat for one. Anyone for crow pie!

Don
    Wow! (big sigh of relief) when I first read that I thought you said cow pie!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Doves are the same way. Nice fluffy bird but a small breast is all there is. Takes quite a few to make cow...er dove pie.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

There's plenty of pigeons here in Trafalgar that stay near the co-op. I wouldn't eat them though because they eat the corn that has a pesticide/herbicide powder covering. They eat the feed corn too, but I'm not taking the risk of eating contaminated meat. I can imagine that if I had to, I would. If I could get around it, however, I'd go for something else. this goes for crows too, because I believe they are scavengers, are they not? Last resort eating for me. Doves are an entirely different story.

Here in Michigan the canada geese are so thick when migrating, the news talks about them shutting down golf courses because their poo is so thick and unsanitary. I mean the news actually has camera crews go out to a golf course and make a big story about it. It's a real big problem for the golf course owners.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Here in Michigan the canada geese are so thick when migrating, the news talks about them shutting down golf courses because their poo is so thick and unsanitary. I mean the news actually has camera crews go out to a golf course and make a big story about it. It's a real big problem for the golf course owners.
    and yet it doesn't seem to bother the geese at all....and we call them silly. Oh bulrush, please tell me there moving north..but only if it's true.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The French have been eating the little beggers for over 200 years.
    They are the easiest protein source around as they go out for their food and water then return home at night just in time to be supper.

Try grilling the halves over medium hot coals coater with favorite BBQ sauce.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    me I just start asking them if they wanna job (inside, no heavy lifting, eat every day,paycheck). I got spit at, cussed out and in a couple of shoving matches over it. Wow, I mean WTF? I see this one guy downtown who has been 'between jobs for 6 years'.
    What do you do with that?

They have a job, they are beggars. I've seen people giving out food to the homeless assaulted for picking the wrong ones to give the food to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemperor View Post
    There's plenty of pigeons here in Trafalgar that stay near the co-op. I wouldn't eat them though because they eat the corn that has a pesticide/herbicide powder covering. They eat the feed corn too, but I'm not taking the risk of eating contaminated meat. I can imagine that if I had to, I would. If I could get around it, however, I'd go for something else. this goes for crows too, because I believe they are scavengers, are they not? Last resort eating for me. Doves are an entirely different story.

Pigeon tastes fine, they are doves. Crow tastes awful, still edible.

Blog Entries

Just about any animal is edible, don't mean i'll eat it.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Default pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    Welfare is a reward for laziness.
    What do you call paying for something you don't use? The government steals from your paycheck like Medicare and Medicaid. I don't think someone sitting on their *** should be subsidized by punishing the working man!
    Last edited by ottawafm; 04-06-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Actually, you pay for it as a form of insurance. That's why it's called Medicare Insurance and Medicaid Insurance. I doubt you'll feel the same when you reach retirement age and become eligible or become disabled. Neither Medicare nor Medicaid is paid to those sitting on their ***. It's paid to those that have built this country. If you know of someone that is fraudulently collecting either then you need to turn them in.

Someone was feeding grain to pigeons at our horse stables. I shot one with a bb gun and filleted the breast meat, wrapped in bacon, and broiled. Was delicious. However, for the next 5 hours, my heart was racing and I felt weird. Someone told me to be careful eating a pigeon from the horse stable area because you never knew who might be poisoning them.... That's the only reason I can think of for having the fast heartbeat.

I always figured pigeons would be good for hot wings & chicken tacos.
    I have been told that you should not eat pigeons and seagulls because they are trash eaters, but they tasted okay to me. Anyone ever hear of this?

Banned

There is always a risk when you eat any wild or "free range" animal in a urban area. Most of the trash that these birds eat is the junk food that most humans consume everyday in America. Judging by the fact that Americans spend more on healthcare than almost anyone else in the world and most are very unhealthy I would assume that part of that is due to their poor diet choices. Pigs and even cows will eat trash if you allow them to like on the streets of India and many poor villages in 3rd world countries. However, if you raise pigeons in pens or in a poulty yard and feed them good food they can be a very good source of protein.

I read one study that showed that pigeons on a poor quality diet of white bread were more aggressive toward each other than a control group on a healthy diet of balanced nutritious poulty feed. You are what you eat evidently.