Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pigeons

Default pigeons

Last edited by rebel; 02-13-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Of course - an edible bird, why not?
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Absolutely, in the spring and summer I'd be haunting parks for ducks and geese too.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

somehow I find hunting in a cemetary just downright creepy.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pigeon's a good reason to own a pellit gun. Rick would have a poullit gun.

Oh, man! One less pun in the world for me. Dang!

Pigeon Pie

Ready In: 2-5 hrs

Ingredients:

6 small pigeons, dressed, washed, pat dry
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    4 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons onion, chopped
    8 cloves
    1 carrot, sliced
    2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
    2 tablespoons celery, chopped
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 Pastry shells, uncooked

Directions:
    Tie legs and wings of the pigeons together with string and close to the body. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in pan and saute pigeons, searing them on both sides.

Cover them with water. Add onion, carrot, parsley, cloves, and celery. Cover and simmer until tender. **About 3 hours**

Remove the pigeons and debone the meat. Mix flour to a smooth paste with remaining butter. Add this mixture to the broth of the pigeons. Bring to a boil.

Line a well greased pie pan with 1 shell. Add the meat and then the thickened broth. Cover it with the other pastry shell. Bake at 450* until nice and brown.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One of the cities I used to work there was a large population of Canadian Geese in one of the parks. Every once in a while, you'd find a trail of corn leading away from the park. At the end of the trail you'd find an open garage door. Inside, you'd find the owner of the garage with a baseball bat.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Default I like it

I was in Stanley Park in Vancouver one time (way back in the '70's it were) and I saw this crowd standing around in the park area when I was walking back from the beach. I went to check it out and there's a bunch of people standing around giving this guy who was obviously a "street person" h*** because he'd grabbed a duck. They're all saying things like "you better put that back because the police have been notified" etc etc. Half these guys are like body builder types and this poor little streeter was maybe 125 pounds soaking wet, but all they do is threaten him with the police, right? He just broke the duck's neck and walked away. I thought "good for him"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    One of the cities I used to work there was a large population of Canadian Geese in one of the parks. Every once in a while, you'd find a trail of corn leading away from the park. At the end of the trail you'd find an open garage door. Inside, you'd find the owner of the garage with a baseball bat.
    I knew a guy in Anchorage, Ak. that did that with a moose. He used a gun, but the moose went wild when he closed the door. He missed the moose twice befor, lights out. And what is funny he forgot to have earmuffs on, and could not hear for a week. And there was a problem with 200 pounds of innards to get rid of.

And any other time they are not complaining to the powers that be about the mess and the noise the ducks cause?? they do around here.

Blog Entries

Here in cicny they homeless throw crumbs on the ground and walk up and kick the snot of the Pigeons and then stuff them in there cart or sack, we call'em street chickens and street meat.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Here in cicny they homeless throw crumbs on the ground and walk up and kick the snot of the Pigeons and then stuff them in there cart or sack, we call'em street chickens and street meat.
    Yea,but around here,people dont want them killed,(ya know thats not humane) they just dont want them around,(they stink,they leave a mess,they are too loud!)They round them up and take them to another part of the county and release them,and guess what,they come back LOL and still they do it.

nell67 .... Are you talking about the homeless or the pigeons??
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

the pigeons,the ducks,and the geese,but it could be said for the homeless too,do people not have that same attitude about homeless people???

I am not sure but Is'nt a cornish hen, pigeion?.. seems like I heard that some where.

Blog Entries

I don't believe in homelessness, too many county, state, and government aids and programs for it. I know homeless that sit and ask for food or money and if you try to give them food get upset because they want the money, then if they get money pull a huge wad of cash out of their pocket and add it to it. I would flip a burger and work three or more jobs before I went homeless and without a job.
    Welfare is a reward for laziness. It should only be for the mentally ill, handicapped, and the elderly not Johnny Butterbut who is too lazy to work and its out of hand.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I have heard them called urban woodsmen, And some of these guys are ligit. but like you said BEO some should be, well opinions are like a@$ h%$^ every bodys got one.

Blog Entries

Now there are some families in the back country I would not mind giving the assistance too, but most of the backwoods families I know ( actually just country folk but more people know them by this name which is why I used it no ofense meant, I lived in Tennessee of 8 years and had many a country boy good friends and deep south country families are good friends) are too proud to apply for it and do whatever it takes to get what their family needs. These people I am not talking about. Remember a COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE.

Back on track. Pigeons I would weary of in a city. Geese and ducks are dinner. Cornish game hens are not pinions, squab is. And it is dang expensive too!

We have in this area what we call Navajo chickens. Big black birds that look like they would feed a family of 6. Once cooked only enough meat for one. Anyone for crow pie!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I wrote an article once about homeless some time back. In it I stated there were 2 kinds of homeless. Those wanting to get over and those wanting to survive.

Urban survival technicians or Homeless survivalists. I know a few by name and we have talked. If you want to learn how to make a shelter or how to stay dry in the worst of weather or how to cook without a kitchen. These people are experts. Some do stealth camping in a way that makes them all but findable.

One old guy called me a couple weeks back and asked when I would be in town. I told him "Now where are you"? We met. He knows me somewhat and when we met I bought him a coffee and we talked for a bit. He had a bad cough. I could tell he had either a cold or the flue. Now he would not ask out right but when I offered him some cold meds and Halls he was really grateful. I know he gets social security and I also know he is paying off his wife funeral expenses. He is homeless not by choice but threw happen stance. When ever I see him I think "But for the grace of God Goes I"!

I fear that as the Baby Boomers get to the age of forceded retirement, we will see more like him. More and more people are reported living as Boondockers and in RV's then ever before. I also see where what we chat about in this and other forums as survival techniques will be used by some as a way of life.

But for the Grace of God goes I!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!