Thread: Buck....again!

Blog Entries

Cool Buck....again!

Batoning is often talked about on this forum like it's the only thing you can do other than carry a huge ax. However, for those of you who might not know, Buck makes a really cool, lightweight backpacking ax, called the camp ax:

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=2952

Besides it's ultra lightweight, it has a hollow plastic handle that's really tough. So if you carry one of these you can save wear & tear on your knife!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Soooooooo - the hollow plastic handle is tough, but the hollow metal handle on a knife is not?

JK/ Buck, Fiskars, Gerber all offer nice little hatchets and axes like that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Soooooooo - the hollow plastic handle is tough, but the hollow metal handle on a knife is not?

JK/ Buck, Fiskars, Gerber all offer nice little hatchets and axes like that.
    I'm sure they do, however the point here was that it wasn't necessary to carry a "full-size" ax in place of batoning a knife. Any of these small ax's will do.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Batoning give me more control of the split. That and I just like large knives.I've never broken a knife splitting wood, or even saw any wear from doing it.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Check out the eastwing line of hatchets. I had looked for a long tome and tried out several. now I keep on in my boat, truck and on my go bag. They come with a nice leather sheath. As with the rest of their tools I am happy with their product. Check them out. Lowe's carries them. mwp

I don't advocate batoning with a knife, but have done it using Buck and other brands of knife. Never had any noticable wear, let alone any breakage.
    Buck's axes are pretty good, but there are many others. Estwing is heavy, but extremely durable. About any axe is heavier than any knife I'd carry. I prefer my knife and saw combo.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

I too prefer a big knife to an axe. I do however carry a coldsteel hatchet, which I use for splitting and hammering.
    I know what hunts you.